Harsil

#16 May 14th, 2009, 02:03
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Calcutta
Posts:
2,966
Send a message via Skype™ to somnath
  • somnath is offline
#16

Thumbs up

Thank you decius, but I am really sorry…. I can’t recall the name of that Dharali hotel . Even I was searching for their card… but no luck. If you go towards Gangotri it is the first hotel on left hand side. Dharali is not a touristy place we got accommodation even in October (maximum domestic tourist go during Durga Puja). So you can just go there.
Anyways I’ll ask my travel partners for the name / contact no.
BTW, you can try this one: http://www.leisurehotels.co.in/chard...tion.html#gupt
Beatiful camp (couldn’t stay because it was costly for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by decius View Post Thanks a lot Paleface and Somnath


I will definitely check out Dharali for stay. Thanks again for such detailed info

@Somnath

Amazing pics in ur Flickr. By the way any specific guest house/lodge you would suggest in Dharali?
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.

My Travel Pix...1
My Travel Pix...2
My Travel Pix...3
#17 May 14th, 2009, 09:16
Join Date:
Oct 2008
Location:
The Abode of Snow
Posts:
5,313
  • livinhimalayas is offline
#17
Decius,
Like Somnath suggested there are quite a few hotels and lodges in Dharali. There is also a Chardham Yatra Camp that is run by the same family as runs the Clark's Chain of Hotels. But book in advance as they also run their own yatra packages and bring in busloads of yatris of their own that have to be accommodated in the camps.
He that would live in peace and at ease must not speak all he knows or all he sees. - Benjamin Franklin
#18 May 14th, 2009, 11:43
Join Date:
Mar 2007
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
335
  • Papaji is offline
#18
Here's one of Harsil from (a turn before) Dharali where the road almost touches the Bhagirathi riverbed..



taken October last.

Although I haven't stayed at Dharali..the place seems to get a lot of Sun and I consider that a +ve.
#19 May 15th, 2009, 01:01
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Calcutta
Posts:
2,966
Send a message via Skype™ to somnath
  • somnath is offline
#19
lovely pic, Papajee
#20 May 15th, 2009, 14:26
Join Date:
Mar 2007
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
335
  • Papaji is offline
#20
Thanks Somnath..
Don't ask what you can do for your country
Ask what your country can do for you
#21 May 16th, 2009, 20:52
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
49
  • decius is offline
#21
Thanks for all the info. Its been quite helpful.
#22 May 29th, 2009, 02:34
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
49
  • decius is offline
#22
I am back from Harsil. The trip was great except minor hiccups and the place is just tooo good, awesome. Thanks Somnath and livinginhimalayas for suggesting Dharali. Its a beautiful place. Will be posting some pics soon.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
#23 May 29th, 2009, 13:37
Join Date:
Dec 2007
Location:
New York
Posts:
2,584
  • ashwinnaagar is offline
#23
Quote:
Originally Posted by decius View Post I am back from Harsil. The trip was great except minor hiccups and the place is just tooo good, awesome. Thanks Somnath and livinginhimalayas for suggesting Dharali. Its a beautiful place. Will be posting some pics soon.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Can you also tell us more about harsil and the place where you stayed.
#24 May 30th, 2009, 17:44
Join Date:
Oct 2008
Location:
The Abode of Snow
Posts:
5,313
  • livinhimalayas is offline
#24
Quote:
Originally Posted by decius View Post I am back from Harsil. The trip was great except minor hiccups and the place is just tooo good, awesome. Thanks Somnath and livinginhimalayas for suggesting Dharali. Its a beautiful place. Will be posting some pics soon.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Good to see that you enjoyed your trip Decius, I hope the shared taxi rides were not all terrible. What I normally do is pay for one extra seat (or take the two front seats if i am travelling alone) and make my journey more comfortable.
#25 May 31st, 2009, 02:30
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
49
  • decius is offline
#25
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinhimalayas View Post Good to see that you enjoyed your trip Decius, I hope the shared taxi rides were not all terrible. What I normally do is pay for one extra seat (or take the two front seats if i am travelling alone) and make my journey more comfortable.
The shared taxi from Rishikesh to Uttarkashi was fine. We were 3 guys and we also paid for 1 extra seat and got entire middle row for us, but from Uttarkashi to Harsil it was horrible, as in I was not able to get them moving even after waiting more than 2 hours, like I had messaged you, so finally I hopped into a local bus and reached Dharali a bit late in evening. Apart from that trip was gud. Special thanks to you for providing such detailed info and suggesting Dharali. I am in Luv with that place

Posted some of the pics here


http://picasaweb.google.com/decius82...ngotriMay2009#






.
#26 May 31st, 2009, 10:31
Join Date:
Oct 2008
Location:
The Abode of Snow
Posts:
5,313
  • livinhimalayas is offline
#26
Quote:
Originally Posted by decius View Post The shared taxi from Rishikesh to Uttarkashi was fine. We were 3 guys and we also paid for 1 extra seat and got entire middle row for us, but from Uttarkashi to Harsil it was horrible, as in I was not able to get them moving even after waiting more than 2 hours, like I had messaged you, so finally I hopped into a local bus and reached Dharali a bit late in evening. Apart from that trip was gud. Special thanks to you for providing such detailed info and suggesting Dharali. I am in Luv with that place

Posted some of the pics here


http://picasaweb.google.com/decius82...ngotriMay2009#






.
Yeah it is a bit of a problem sometimes - the taxiwalas like to have a full load of 10 passangers and then a couple extra for the ride towards Gangotri and it can be a problem sometimes specilly in the latter part of the day. Some people pay for the remaining empty seats if they really want the taxi to leave sooner rather than later, but it can mean more load on your pocket.
Great pictures but at a place like Harsil or Dharali no matter where you aim the camera you cannot but get a perfect picture. Good to note that you trekked up to Mukhba !
#27 May 31st, 2009, 20:48
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
49
  • decius is offline
#27
Yup Harsil and Dharali are picture perfect anyways

Mukhba is great too. I also trekked up to Saat Tal. That trek also provided some really good views of Dharali/Harsil and snow clad peaks.
#28 May 31st, 2009, 21:13
Join Date:
Oct 2008
Location:
The Abode of Snow
Posts:
5,313
  • livinhimalayas is offline
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by decius View Post Yup Harsil and Dharali are picture perfect anyways

Mukhba is great too. I also trekked up to Saat Tal. That trek also provided some really good views of Dharali/Harsil and snow clad peaks.
The Sat Tal trek is amazing, did you go and see the Tantrik Baba who has a hermitage there and drinks off a human skull. He is quite a character and a sort of folk lore around the area.
#29 May 31st, 2009, 21:37
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
49
  • decius is offline
#29
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinhimalayas View Post The Sat Tal trek is amazing, did you go and see the Tantrik Baba who has a hermitage there and drinks off a human skull. He is quite a character and a sort of folk lore around the area.
Baba wasn't around when we reached there. We did ask for him but were told he isn't around so we didn't wait much and headed back.




.
#30 Oct 13th, 2009, 16:16
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
Noida
Posts:
25
  • indranilatcal is offline
#30

Is it possible to reach Harsil in winters (January)?

Is it possible to reach Harsil in winters (January)?

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Lamkhaga Pass from Harsil Apr 29th, 2016 19:44 23 7418 Trekking and Mountaineering in India
Sangla - Harsil Apr 8th, 2016 03:33 69 25304 Trekking and Mountaineering in India
harsil-chakrata-sarahan Sep 7th, 2009 02:22 11 5141 India Travel Itinerary Advice
Accommodation at Harsil-Dharali Aug 25th, 2007 15:10 2 4871 Uttarakhand
Trek In Harsil Area Aug 24th, 2007 13:01 18 5546 Trekking and Mountaineering in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success