Sandakphu trek in last week of December

#1 Nov 4th, 2009, 21:06
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
New Delhi, India
Posts:
2
  • rajem is offline
#1
Hi,

We are a group of 7 people (3 male, 2 femals and 2 children (10 years) who are planning a trek to Sandakphu from Maneybhanjan on 25th December. 3 of us are first time trekkers. Would like advise on the following:

Is December last week the right time to trek to Sandakphu?
What would be the weather like? Would we find snow on the way.
What type of trekking gear should we carry with us?
How cold would it be on the route?
Would it be possible for a child (11 years) to trek the entire route in December?
How difficult is the terrain?

I am asking too many questions, but would appreciate if someone could guide me on this

Thanks
#2 Nov 6th, 2009, 15:41
Join Date:
May 2006
Location:
India
Posts:
294
  • travel joy is offline
#2
Please refer to the other threads for details on Sandakphu.Last week of December is not the time for trekking to Sandakphu with ones family.If the ten year old kids can walk at an average of 10 kilometres per day above 3000 metres altitude, on a more than 30 degrees inclined road, in sub zero temperatures and snowfall, you can take them.
#3 Nov 6th, 2009, 17:04
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
New Delhi, India
Posts:
2
  • rajem is offline
#3
Thanks for your input Travel Joy. Will definitely keep this in mind.

Regards,
Rajesh
#4 Nov 18th, 2009, 15:04
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
76
  • arindam saha is offline
#4
hi, we are alos planning to go to sandakphu in Dec'09 last week from 25th - 30th, this time we may find Ice on the route as sugegsted by the guides over their. try to carry winter clothes more. December last week would a chilled one...
Attached Images
sandakfu_map_big.jpg 
#5 Nov 19th, 2009, 13:56
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
76
  • arindam saha is offline
#5
Roj please give us a feedback as u come back...
#6 Nov 19th, 2009, 14:09
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
376
  • Priyanka Chanda is offline
#6
hi...

initially we had planned our sandakphu tour around early january...but due to sum urgent stuff, luks like we will have to prepone it to third or last week of december.

we will probably not be trekking this time...we plan to hire a car from manebhanjan, and keep it with us through the trip for the two-three days that we stay there...

anybody has the contact number of Sherpa chalet in Sandakphu...was wondering if i cud reserve the accomodation before going...heard thats the best stay available at sandakphu?
Cheers,

Priyanka
#7 Nov 19th, 2009, 15:37
Join Date:
Jun 2006
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
19
  • rajsriv is offline
#7

We would be there let me know if you need help

Hi Priyanka,
I would be treking in that place along with my family in Dec last week. Let me know if you are would like to join us. We have the contact details of the people who would be helping us organising the trek.

Thanks and Regards

Raj / rajsriv@yahoo.com / Bangalore


Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyanka Chanda View Post hi...

initially we had planned our sandakphu tour around early january...but due to sum urgent stuff, luks like we will have to prepone it to third or last week of december.

we will probably not be trekking this time...we plan to hire a car from manebhanjan, and keep it with us through the trip for the two-three days that we stay there...

anybody has the contact number of Sherpa chalet in Sandakphu...was wondering if i cud reserve the accomodation before going...heard thats the best stay available at sandakphu?
#8 Nov 19th, 2009, 15:43
Join Date:
Jun 2006
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
19
  • rajsriv is offline
#8

Hi Rajem, yes you can attempt

Hey Rajem,

I would not discourage you , as I have seen people treking in much tougher region from Yuksom to Goeachala with youger kids such as 6 to 7 years and enjoying the route with family. I think if yours kids are energetic and are very enthusiastic in out door certainly you can attempt. Cold yes it would be , but 10-11 year of kids are much better in cold then adults like us. So I would say go ahead and plan it out. I can tell you there is team of school kids of much younger age from Kolkata are doing trek there at the same time so it is ok
I would be doing trekking with my family during that time. Send me note if you need help on my email rajsriv@yahoo.com

Regards

Raj / rajsriv@yahoo.com / Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajem View Post Hi,

We are a group of 7 people (3 male, 2 femals and 2 children (10 years) who are planning a trek to Sandakphu from Maneybhanjan on 25th December. 3 of us are first time trekkers. Would like advise on the following:

Is December last week the right time to trek to Sandakphu?
What would be the weather like? Would we find snow on the way.
What type of trekking gear should we carry with us?
How cold would it be on the route?
Would it be possible for a child (11 years) to trek the entire route in December?
How difficult is the terrain?

I am asking too many questions, but would appreciate if someone could guide me on this

Thanks
#9 Nov 19th, 2009, 15:47
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
kolkata
Posts:
412
Send a message via Yahoo to samya.indya
  • samya.indya is offline
#9
@ Priyanka.........

Yes the rooms are very warm.Sherpa Challet may be the best but others like Namo Buddha & Sunrise are also good.

http://singalilaridgetrek.blogspot.com/

Hope this link will be useful to you..

Cheers..........
@~~He who limps is still walking~~@
SAMYA

MY WEBSITE

MY TRAVELOGUE

Goecha La Trek Album

MY PHOTO ALBUM
#10 Nov 19th, 2009, 16:29
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
376
  • Priyanka Chanda is offline
#10
hey thanks...but i already called that no. but it seems, it doesnt belong to sherpa challet...some other person is asnwering the call
#11 Nov 19th, 2009, 19:56
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
kolkata
Posts:
412
Send a message via Yahoo to samya.indya
  • samya.indya is offline
#11
What ???

I used that No. last month and I had a talk with Mr. Pasang Ringee Sherpa(The Manager).

Anyways try this one.....

+91 99334 88159
#12 Nov 23rd, 2009, 17:26
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
76
  • arindam saha is offline
#12

Lightbulb

Hi,
Priyanka we are also planning to go by cab till sandakphu, this time we also won't trek... as our group has a 4 year old boy with us... also some lady members who have never trekked... spoken with a guide over there, was telling the cab may not go till Sandakphu as there is a high chance of snow fall this year in Dec... we are in a group of 08... have you already booked any cab from Manebhanjan till Sandakphu? i mean the Sherpa's land rover..
#13 Nov 23rd, 2009, 19:44
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
376
  • Priyanka Chanda is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam saha View Post Hi,
Priyanka we are also planning to go by cab till sandakphu, this time we also won't trek... as our group has a 4 year old boy with us... also some lady members who have never trekked... spoken with a guide over there, was telling the cab may not go till Sandakphu as there is a high chance of snow fall this year in Dec... we are in a group of 08... have you already booked any cab from Manebhanjan till Sandakphu? i mean the Sherpa's land rover..
Hi Arindam,

I have not yet booked the cab from Manebhanjan to Sandakphu yet...how have you done it? When are you going by the way? we mite go during the last week of december...

Thanks
#14 Nov 23rd, 2009, 20:51
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
76
  • arindam saha is offline
#14
hi,
we also haven't booked the cab for Sandakphu; but we have already booked cab from Sliguri to Manebhanjan, did u spoken with Sherpa? we will be reaching Siliguri on 25th Dec'09 then direct to manebhanjan, planning to go straight to Sandakphu by cab, 26th stay & 27th push off towards Tonglu, 28th push off towards Chitrey, 29th Chitrey stay, we will be back to siliguri by 30th...
#15 Nov 23rd, 2009, 22:07
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
376
  • Priyanka Chanda is offline
#15
well no...i have two no.s and trust u me...have not been able to get thru to him...which one did u call on...?
we are planning to reach sandakphu on 25th....have plans to stay bak till 27th n bak the next day!

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Sandakphu - Phalut in December Last Week Dec 12th, 2012 21:57 24 6140 Trekking and Mountaineering in India
Sandakphu & phalut in january first week Nov 11th, 2011 12:51 3 2196 West Bengal
Sandakphu trek ! Mar 1st, 2011 03:49 2 2006 West Bengal
sandakphu trek in december Dec 1st, 2006 23:06 10 4236 West Bengal
Sandakphu in December first week Nov 10th, 2005 11:20 6 5704 Trekking and Mountaineering in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success