Darjeeling - Gangtok - Pelling - The planning stage...

#1 Oct 31st, 2016, 18:07
Join Date:
Dec 2014
Location:
Anywhere under the Sun
Posts:
183
  • Suman D. is offline
#1
Dear Mentors and Friends..

Though I'm continuing with my post on Deoghar-Rajgir-Bodhgaya, my most recent trip, yet I started to plan for my next trip to Darjeeling - Gangtok - Pelling.

This would be a trip after Juniors exams are over and to be materialized during extreme end March and beginning of April 2017.

As this is the right time to plan and make necessary pre-arrangements like tickets, bookings etc., I rely on with my fellow IMers to suggest and advise the best I could ever get.

Please take a look about the proposed schedule :

Day 1 - Leave Howrah/Sealdha for NJP
Day 2 - Reach NJP. Proceed to Darjeeling. Evening free at Darjeeling.
Day 3 - Sunrise and other activities with local sightseeing.
Day 4 - Darjeeling/Kalingpong sightseeing.
Day 5 - Darjeeling to Gangtok. Eveing free at Gangtok.
Day 6 - Gangtok sightseeing including Rumtek, Nathula, Tsomgo Lake.
Day 7 - Gangtok to Pelling. Evening free at Pelling.
Day 8 - Pelling sightseeing.
Day 9 - Pelling sightseeing and leisure.
Day 10 - Pelling to NJP/Bagdogra. Onward journey to Howrah/Sealdha/NSCBIA

Please highlight and advise me on the following points :

a. Junior is keen to get some chilling experience. Is this the right time for a comfortable yet cold weather ? Snow....somewhere - somehow???

b. Is it advised to get reserved Car all across the tour & sightseeing ? Can some transfers be made in shared cars without wasting mush time ?

c. Is the plan feasible taking care of visiting the desired places of interest surrounding D-G-P ? I surely don't want a hasty and tiring plan.

d. Overall approx. budget for sightseeing and transfers only. Safe, Comfortable but not Luxury.


Many thanks in advance.....
A Journey declined is a Learning denied...
______________________________ ___

My Andaman Diaries. | Amritsar – Wagha Border. | Krishnanagar-Mayapur-Murshidabad |
Rajasthan |
Deoghar-Rajgir-Bodhgaya
#2 Oct 31st, 2016, 18:36
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
6,806
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suman D. View Post
a. Junior is keen to get some chilling experience. Is this the right time for a comfortable yet cold weather ? Snow....somewhere - somehow???

b. Is it advised to get reserved Car all across the tour & sightseeing ? Can some transfers be made in shared cars without wasting mush time ?

c. Is the plan feasible taking care of visiting the desired places of interest surrounding D-G-P ? I surely don't want a hasty and tiring plan.

d. Overall approx. budget for sightseeing and transfers only. Safe, Comfortable but not Luxury.
Hi,

Here are the answers :

a. Yes, Surely . You will find loads of snow in Tsomgo ( Changu) Lake & in Nathula

b. Booking exclusive cab for the entire trip is not needed. Everywhere you will get shared cabs ( frequently) for point to point transportation , Like NJP to Darjeeling, Darjeeling to Gangtok & Gangtok to Pelling ( Cost 120 Rs to 200 Rs Per Person depending on the distance ) . Only for sightseeing trips you have to book exclusive cabs. Again for Tsomgo / Baba Mandir trip, you can avail shared jeep services. Shared Jeeps for Nathula are rare & less in number.

c. Yes, this is a nice plan. Only thing is that you can't make Rumtek & Tsomgo/ Nathula trip on the same day. Tsomgo/ Nathula trip is a daylong sightseeing trip.

d. I've already posted approx cost of shared jeeps. For sightseeing trips charge for 4 seater cabs is around 1500 to 1800 Rs
#3 Oct 31st, 2016, 18:48
Join Date:
Dec 2014
Location:
Anywhere under the Sun
Posts:
183
  • Suman D. is offline
#3

Thanks....

Thanks Arupratan for the speedy reply...

Your answers are pretty well along my plans, I'm so happy. So would be my counterparts...

For point no. c. could we make up Rumtek on the same day -

(i) If we arrive Gangtok from Darjeeling early or
(ii) Leave Gangtok in the afternoon for Pelling ?

Thanks again....
#4 Oct 31st, 2016, 18:55
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
6,806
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suman D. View Post
For point no. c. could we make up Rumtek on the same day -

(i) If we arrive Gangtok from Darjeeling early or
(ii) Leave Gangtok in the afternoon for Pelling ?

Thanks again....
Yes, Perfect . It's doable on these days
#5 Oct 31st, 2016, 18:59
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
6,806
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#5
One more point : As I've posted earlier, if you can't find shared jeeps for Nathula then hiring an exclusive cab would be pretty costly. Small cars are not allowed to go to Nathula. And for larger cars like Sumo / Bolero they charge around 7000/8000 Rs. ( including permit cost) depending on the season . Shared jeeps for Tsomgo / Baba Mandir are easily available ( cost Rs 400 /500 per person) .
#6 Oct 31st, 2016, 19:13
Join Date:
Dec 2014
Location:
Anywhere under the Sun
Posts:
183
  • Suman D. is offline
#6
Ohhhh Great!!! For Rumtek been taken care off..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arupratan ghosh View Post One more point : As I've posted earlier, if you can't find shared jeeps for Nathula then hiring an exclusive cab would be pretty costly. Small cars are not allowed to go to Nathula. And for larger cars like Sumo / Bolero they charge around 7000/8000 Rs. ( including permit cost) depending on the season . Shared jeeps for Tsomgo / Baba Mandir are easily available ( cost Rs 400 /500 per person) .
This is a great piece of information. I would then try to get a shared jeep for Nathula or try rope in some fellow tourists (if available then) to book an exclusive car.

Please keep me posted with your relevant suggestions & advise...
#7 Oct 31st, 2016, 20:06
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
Netherlands
Posts:
4,118
  • vonkla is offline
#7
We visited this area in the first weeks of April 2010, for details see that part of my Seven weeks North-East journal.

For day 4 it is better to stay in Kalimpong and proceed to Gangtok from there, with a private car it was a ride of about three hours.
#8 Oct 31st, 2016, 20:45
Join Date:
Dec 2014
Location:
Anywhere under the Sun
Posts:
183
  • Suman D. is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkla View Post We visited this area in the first weeks of April 2010, for details see that part of my Seven weeks North-East journal.
An excellent journal I must admit. I'm running through it line-by-line and am sure it would be very helpful.

For Darjeeling to Gangtok, I would surely toss-on with your idea of a night-stay at Kalimpong.

Thanks mate.....
#9 Apr 4th, 2017, 15:44
Join Date:
Dec 2014
Location:
Anywhere under the Sun
Posts:
183
  • Suman D. is offline
#9
This is nonsense....absolute nonsense..

With the exams rescheduled, my complete plan got dumped. Absolute frustrating and disheartening.

With no other option in hand (except a small trip somewhere nearby) had to cancel all reservations and have to reschedule the whole plan of “Darjeeling – Gangtok – Pelling” to end September, preciously during Durga Puja..

My only concern is, will be that a good time to travel to Sikkim (considering no rhododendron . If yes, I would toss with the idea of exploring more of Sikkim and remove Darjeeling for the time.

Suggestions solicited..
#10 Apr 4th, 2017, 15:54
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
6,806
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suman D. View Post have to reschedule the whole plan of “Darjeeling – Gangtok – Pelling” to end September, preciously during Durga Puja..

My only concern is, will be that a good time to travel to Sikkim (considering no rhododendron . If yes, I would toss with the idea of exploring more of Sikkim and remove Darjeeling for the time.

Suggestions solicited..
April to May is the Rhododendron season . Sep end is not a good time to visit Darjeeling / Sikkim area. You may consider the Diwali vacation (around Mid Oct) for your trip
#11 Apr 4th, 2017, 17:10
Join Date:
Dec 2014
Location:
Anywhere under the Sun
Posts:
183
  • Suman D. is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arupratan ghosh View Post April to May is the Rhododendron season . Sep end is not a good time to visit Darjeeling / Sikkim area. You may consider the Diwali vacation (around Mid Oct) for your trip
True..very true.

But that's the time I could manage a break of 9/10 days combining the Puja holidays. Would rain or landslide be a botheration then??

Else where could be a good vacation for 8 - 10 days max including travel, preferably a hillside.....(J&K No, Leh/Ladakh No)
#12 Apr 4th, 2017, 17:28
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
6,806
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suman D. View Post Would rain or landslide be a botheration then??
Yes sir, that's the worrying factor !


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suman D. View Post True..very true.

Else where could be a good vacation for 8 - 10 days max including travel, preferably a hillside.....(J&K No, Leh/Ladakh No)
How about western Himalayas, like Garhwal / Kumayun ?
#13 Apr 4th, 2017, 18:07
Join Date:
Feb 2013
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
33
  • kaustav39 is offline
#13
Dear Mr. Suman,

You have already received proper replies and guidance, hence not adding to that. Just one point to mention here that it is not worth spending that much time in Pelling. Many might not agree with me but I have just returned from Pelling 15 days back. One day sightseeing is enough there and try to stay at Namchi instead of your 3rd night at Pelling. Go to Namchi from Pelling early and there is Budhha park and another place called Tarey Bhir (30 kms). try to include this you will not regret at all.

And for Darjeeling it is food food food.... Keventers, Glenaries, Sonam's kitchen, Kunga, Joe's Pub (if possible because you have children with you), Benny's cafe. Visit each of them.
#14 Apr 4th, 2017, 18:58
Join Date:
Dec 2014
Location:
Anywhere under the Sun
Posts:
183
  • Suman D. is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustav39 View Post Go to Namchi from Pelling early and there is Budhha park and another place called Tarey Bhir (30 kms). try to include this you will not regret at all.
Thanks mate....I definitely agree with you and for such idea's IM is the right platform to get the best suggestions. I may include Uttrey, Barsey etc. as well...But rain/landslide will be a major headache then, I presume..


Quote:
Originally Posted by arupratan ghosh How about western Himalayas, like Garhwal / Kumayun ?
Yes, arupratan, This need real attention....
#15 Apr 5th, 2017, 17:29
Join Date:
Feb 2013
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
33
  • kaustav39 is offline
#15
Hi,

Barsey is only accessible by trekking. Uttarey is fine though.
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Gangtok-Pelling-Darjeeling or Silk rout-Gangtok-North Sikkim ?? Mar 17th, 2017 12:26 9 1576 Sikkim
Darjeeling-Gangtok-Pelling-Lachung/Gangtok-Lachung-Pelling-Kalimpong-Darjeeling Jan 7th, 2015 13:38 45 14385 Sikkim
Gangtok, Darjeeling and Pelling Mar 14th, 2014 18:13 6 1989 Sikkim
Darjeeling, Gangtok, Pelling Feb 14th, 2013 18:03 3 2078 Sikkim
Gangtok > Pelling > Darjeeling Jan 27th, 2013 12:24 9 2197 Sikkim


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2017
Page Load Success