Sexual harassment getting worse

Reply
#1 Dec 5th, 2013, 11:32
Join Date:
Apr 2008
Location:
England
Posts:
50
  • Rishikesh08 is offline
#1
In one afternoon here in India, I have asked a man to remove his hand from between his legs while staring at Indian women bathing, and stepped in as a man attempted to grab a child. This happened in broad daylight. I have been visiting India for 10 years now, and I have seen the level of twisted sexuality go from bad to worse. On my last visit, an Indian man attempted to grab a small Australian child, right in front of her family. No other Indians seemed to notice or be concerned. The child's father stepped in as did I, and the situation was 'resolved.' A couple of weeks ago, a western woman was the victim of attempted rape, a couple of streets from my guest house. She screamed enough for the Indian man to run away, but not before he punched her in the face 3 times. My advice to any woman thinking of coming to India is, don't.
#2 Dec 5th, 2013, 12:01
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
14,993
  • edwardseco is offline
#2
What is that aphorism about anecdotes? Must look it up..
#3 Dec 5th, 2013, 12:27
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Off
Posts:
3,412
  • prince09 is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishikesh08 View Post In one afternoon here in India, I have asked a man to remove his hand from between his legs while staring at Indian women bathing, and stepped in as a man attempted to grab a child. This happened in broad daylight. I have been visiting India for 10 years now, and I have seen the level of twisted sexuality go from bad to worse. On my last visit, an Indian man attempted to grab a small Australian child, right in front of her family. No other Indians seemed to notice or be concerned. The child's father stepped in as did I, and the situation was 'resolved.' A couple of weeks ago, a western woman was the victim of attempted rape, a couple of streets from my guest house. She screamed enough for the Indian man to run away, but not before he punched her in the face 3 times. My advice to any woman thinking of coming to India is, don't.
One day here in Australia, I have asked an old australian man to stop looking at young school girls bottoms while they are waiting for train at the railway station. He yelled abuses at me. This has happened during peak hours. I have been living in Australia for over 6 years now and I have seen this trend going from looking to grabbing. No other australians seem to be bothered about this.There is also widespread sexual abuse in australian schools and churches.A week ago a 19 year old korean girl, an international student, was dragged, beaten and killed while she was walking to university. A couple of months ago a 5 month pregnant woman was raped and murdered by a 19 year old australian man and a few months ago another woman was abducted, raped, murdered and buried in the outskirts of melbourne city. She was coming back in the evening after dinner with her friends. My advise to any woman coming to australia is, don't.

How does that sound?
#4 Dec 5th, 2013, 12:32
Join Date:
Jan 2009
Location:
Perth, Western Australia
Posts:
803
  • Keith H is offline
#4
Yep. Sad but true.
#5 Dec 5th, 2013, 12:47
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
KERALA
Posts:
2,158
  • JOHNLORD is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishikesh08 View Post In one afternoon here in India, I have asked a man to remove his hand from between his legs while staring at Indian women bathing, and stepped in as a man attempted to grab a child. This happened in broad daylight. I have been visiting India for 10 years now, and I have seen the level of twisted sexuality go from bad to worse. On my last visit, an Indian man attempted to grab a small Australian child, right in front of her family. No other Indians seemed to notice or be concerned. The child's father stepped in as did I, and the situation was 'resolved.' A couple of weeks ago, a western woman was the victim of attempted rape, a couple of streets from my guest house. She screamed enough for the Indian man to run away, but not before he punched her in the face 3 times. My advice to any woman thinking of coming to India is, don't.
Rishikesh08 looking back at your posts, I think you maybe overly sensitive, or maybe you suffer from a knight in shining armour complex (always out to save a damsel in distress).

Your previous posts about keeping a friendly eye on the ladies. I think you should relax. As for your comments no other indians seemed concerned, tell me were the other foreign tourists concerned or was it just the Indians who did not seem to be bothered.

I have asked a man to remove his hand from between his legs while staring at Indian women bathing,

As long as his hand was not in between your legs, do you really need to get invoved. Tell me were you also peeping at the lady bathers.

Anyway well done, an afternoon well spent, lets hope you had an equally productive morning.
Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Last edited by JOHNLORD; Dec 5th, 2013 at 17:03.. Reason: spelling
#6 Dec 5th, 2013, 12:51
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
Almora
Posts:
6,342
  • jituyadav is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince09 View Post My advise to any woman coming to australia is, don't.

How does that sound?
It would sound music to OP's ears
If you find my posts confrontationist, please bear, I am an old frustrated guy who has nothing better to do than sit on rocking chair and curse the world whole day
#7 Dec 5th, 2013, 13:51
Join Date:
Sep 2009
Location:
melbourne australia
Posts:
1,228
  • redninja is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishikesh08 View Post In one afternoon here in India, I have asked a man to remove his hand from between his legs while staring at Indian women bathing, and stepped in as a man attempted to grab a child. This happened in broad daylight. I have been visiting India for 10 years now, and I have seen the level of twisted sexuality go from bad to worse. On my last visit, an Indian man attempted to grab a small Australian child, right in front of her family. No other Indians seemed to notice or be concerned. The child's father stepped in as did I, and the situation was 'resolved.' A couple of weeks ago, a western woman was the victim of attempted rape, a couple of streets from my guest house. She screamed enough for the Indian man to run away, but not before he punched her in the face 3 times. My advice to any woman thinking of coming to India is, don't.

You might think stepping in as a man attempted to grab a child is brave and honourable, but it also could have been stupid.

Whilst the Indian court system makes a snail look like a ferrari, street Law is mostly based around sweet snap decisions, maybe you will never know how close you came to a stoning --- always best to wait till the thief has the the evidence in his hand.

Please remember that we have and continue to play a major part in instigating, furthering and enhancing this so called " Twisted Sexuality ", so when no other Indians seemed to notice or be concerned, don't be so surprised.

There has been a little squeak of a protest here in Melb, about a commercial TV stations screening of the " Lingerie " football series---WTF
#8 Dec 5th, 2013, 15:32
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
68,309
  • Nick-H is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNLORD View Post As long as his hand was not in between your legs, do you really need to get invoved.
Brilliant.
#9 Dec 8th, 2013, 17:25
Join Date:
Apr 2008
Location:
England
Posts:
50
  • Rishikesh08 is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince09 View Post One day here in Australia, I have asked an old australian man to stop looking at young school girls bottoms while they are waiting for train at the railway station. He yelled abuses at me. This has happened during peak hours. I have been living in Australia for over 6 years now and I have seen this trend going from looking to grabbing. No other australians seem to be bothered about this.There is also widespread sexual abuse in australian schools and churches.A week ago a 19 year old korean girl, an international student, was dragged, beaten and killed while she was walking to university. A couple of months ago a 5 month pregnant woman was raped and murdered by a 19 year old australian man and a few months ago another woman was abducted, raped, murdered and buried in the outskirts of melbourne city. She was coming back in the evening after dinner with her friends. My advise to any woman coming to australia is, don't.

How does that sound?
Good for you for standing up for the girl. If this has been your experience in Australia you should definitely take action, I know I would. If you reckon its unsafe for women, then you should say so.
#10 Dec 8th, 2013, 17:37
Join Date:
Apr 2008
Location:
England
Posts:
50
  • Rishikesh08 is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNLORD View Post Rishikesh08 looking back at your posts, I think you maybe overly sensitive, or maybe you suffer from a knight in shining armour complex (always out to save a damsel in distress).

Your previous posts about keeping a friendly eye on the ladies. I think you should relax. As for your comments no other indians seemed concerned, tell me were the other foreign tourists concerned or was it just the Indians who did not seem to be bothered.

I have asked a man to remove his hand from between his legs while staring at Indian women bathing,

As long as his hand was not in between your legs, do you really need to get invoved. Tell me were you also peeping at the lady bathers.

Anyway well done, an afternoon well spent, lets hope you had an equally productive morning.
The other tourist in the area, my partner, was equally bothered. Yes, I am sensitive when women and children are getting inappropriately groped, this is a normal human reaction.

No, I wasn't 'peeping' at women bathing, thats a disgusting and offensive allegation.

I'll ask you something, if your mother, sister, partner or child was being attacked would me stepping in and helping them be a problem for you? Or would you rather I walked on by?

It sounds like you'd walk on by while a woman is having something disgusting happening to her, right in front of you. If something is happening to my loved ones, or complete strangers, i hope you're not around as you'd be useless.
#11 Dec 8th, 2013, 17:45
Join Date:
Apr 2008
Location:
England
Posts:
50
  • Rishikesh08 is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post You might think stepping in as a man attempted to grab a child is brave and honourable, but it also could have been stupid.

Whilst the Indian court system makes a snail look like a ferrari, street Law is mostly based around sweet snap decisions, maybe you will never know how close you came to a stoning --- always best to wait till the thief has the the evidence in his hand.

Please remember that we have and continue to play a major part in instigating, furthering and enhancing this so called " Twisted Sexuality ", so when no other Indians seemed to notice or be concerned, don't be so surprised.

There has been a little squeak of a protest here in Melb, about a commercial TV stations screening of the " Lingerie " football series---WTF
What I thought about protecting the child is irrelevant, what is important is what the child and family thought. In the case of the Australian family, they were very grateful. In the case of the Indian homeless child, he was also very grateful. If my reaction is that important to you, seeing that small boy's face light up as a complete stranger stepped in to help him was priceless.

No, nobody started stoning me for helping the kid. But I'd rather receive stones then walk on by when someone is being attacked. If your kids were being attacked, I'd gladly receive a few blows on their behalf instead of walk on by in fear of my own safety. Would you have a problem with that? No.
#12 Dec 8th, 2013, 18:09
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Salzburg
Posts:
62
  • Hochwieskopf is offline
#12
Yes, Indian society does get more sexualized as a general observation.
Or, rather, it does get more obvious.
In any society as male-centered as the Indian sexuality will be a vehicle for domination.
Call it power, influence, domination.
The widespread use of sex-related attributes is of course not limited to India but a world-wide development with the PR industry all to happily moving in.


Intervention should always be based upon common sense and I feel you did well.

BTW: The nickname of our member JOHNLORD (of Kerala - sic!) is reminiscent of The Lord (God) of Small Things by Arundhati Roy... in some sublime respect
Last edited by Hochwieskopf; Dec 8th, 2013 at 18:13.. Reason: mistyping
#13 Dec 8th, 2013, 18:24
Join Date:
Sep 2009
Location:
melbourne australia
Posts:
1,228
  • redninja is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishikesh08 View Post What I thought about protecting the child is irrelevant, what is important is what the child and family thought. In the case of the Australian family, they were very grateful. In the case of the Indian homeless child, he was also very grateful. If my reaction is that important to you, seeing that small boy's face light up as a complete stranger stepped in to help him was priceless.

No, nobody started stoning me for helping the kid. But I'd rather receive stones then walk on by when someone is being attacked. If your kids were being attacked, I'd gladly receive a few blows on their behalf instead of walk on by in fear of my own safety. Would you have a problem with that? No.

It would never be my kids, because i made a sacrifice and didn't breed-- just my small and humble contribution towards curbing population growth.

I would not have a problem with stepping in and doing the right thing, when it has to be done it is. Sorry i over reacted with the importance of your reaction, i was more concerned for your wellbeing, as i have seen street sentiment turn unfavourably very quickly in the past, you seemed to have read the situation well.
#14 Dec 8th, 2013, 19:03
Join Date:
Feb 2012
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
610
  • happyhippy is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post It would never be my kids, because i made a sacrifice and didn't breed-- just my small and humble contribution towards curbing population growth.
Wise decision redninja , though I hope you meet someone in whose eyes you see your unborn children, if you haven't already!
#15 Dec 8th, 2013, 21:04
Join Date:
Aug 2010
Location:
United States
Posts:
4,418
  • DaisyL is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishikesh08 View Post My advice to any woman thinking of coming to India is, don't.
There are places in the world where it would be too dangerous to go to, men or women. India is not one of these places.

There are always going to be incidences you can point to in any place in the world and say, "Oh, too dangerous!" If we paid attention to every act of violence in the world, we'd never go anywhere. For example, I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Yet there were two incidences so horrific that they were turned into books and movies.* Is the place where I live a dangerous place? No, it was a safe place to raise my daughter, even though a couple of horribly violent acts were committed nearby. Would I recommend that people visit here? Yes, it's very safe for tourists to be here. It would be boring beyond belief, but it would be safe.

If you want to travel to another country, research it. Learn the culture, learn what to do in order to keep yourself as safe as possible, including the food rules. I am a woman and I have traveled in India. I know that sometimes bad things have happened to women, but I know what to do to keep myself as safe as possible. Just like I know that there have been railroad accidents in India, but that doesn't mean I have to walk everywhere I want to go. Make good decisions, and then enjoy yourself. There are never any guarantees in life, but if you worry too much, you'll miss out on life.


*Evil Harvest (book), All She Wanted (book), Boys Don't Cry (movie)
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Sexual Harassment Mar 7th, 2012 21:46 607 98320 Scams and Annoyances in India
Sexual assault/harassment threat in palolem Jan 21st, 2009 17:08 31 10669 Goa


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2017
Page Load Success