Satkoshia Tiger Reserve

#1 Jan 4th, 2013, 22:39
Join Date:
Feb 2012
Location:
Sukinda, India
Posts:
13
  • Anwesha Ghosh is offline
#1
Just came back from an enchanting trip to Satkoshia Tiger Reserve. Stayed at the Nature Camp at Purnakot. The Nature Camp at Purnakot is run by the forest department and lies on the main road 10 kms before Tikarpada. The arrangement at the the nature camp is very basic and the property lacks maintenance. But the bungalow is surrounded by dense forest on all the other three sides and the natural beauty of the place more than compensates for the accommodation difficulties. The bungalow compound is full of fruiting fig and other trees and is a treasure trove for those interested in bird watching…We saw lots of birds, many of which were lifers for us, Malabar Giant Squirrels and Barking Deer… Heard elephants calling from the hill just behind the bungalow while having open air lunch amidst the trees at the bungalow backward … Visited Tikarpada from Purnakot… The vista at Tikarpada is just awesome and the location of the Forest Rest House is very beautiful, on the hill facing the Mahanadi …But being 30th Jan afternoon, the whole place was swarming with hundreds of picnickers and was an absolute fish market…We gave up all hope of enjoying the natural beauty in peace and soon returned. Previously the forest department used to run tented accommodation on the banks of the Mahanadi at Tikarpada but now that arrangement has been dismantled. Some private tents are still available at the interior of a village at a distance from Tikarpada. That arrangement did not look much appealing to us. Chottkei is also very beautiful. Though the Eco Cottages are located at the centre of a huge cultivated field beside a village but the whole place is surrounded by dense forests on all sides.

My suggestions for those who plan to visit Satkoshia Tiger Reserve in near future:
The best place in terms of scenic beauty is definitely Tikarpada if one can avoid Sundays and other public holidays (especially during the winter months). At Tikarpada, stay at the FRH. Forest department tents on the banks of the Mahanadi are no longer available. Private tents are available inside a village and the location is not good enough.

The best staying arrangement is available at Chottkei where the forest department runs deluxe eco-cottages.

Those who enjoy bird watching should keep one day for Purnakot. Two types of accommodation are available there: cottage (2) and tents (2). Avoid the tents at all cost.

Booking at the forest department properties can be done in advance through the following link:

http://www.satkosia.org/booking.aspx

Bookings can also be done from the Forest Office at Angul.
#2 Jan 16th, 2013, 12:24
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
Odisha
Posts:
1
  • Sukant9791 is offline
#2

Satkosia

Its an awesome place ...away from hustle bustle of the people. The vistas are stunning! I wonder how you overlooked the Labangi forest in the Pampasar Forest divion at Satkosa. We encountered troops of elephants, wild boars and herds of wandering deer at the Labangi Watch Tower at Satkosia.
#3 Jan 16th, 2013, 12:42
Join Date:
Nov 2007
Location:
KOLKATA, INDIA
Posts:
2,585
  • mousourik is offline
#3
Any pics, Answesha ? Liked your brief but informative report.
#4 Jan 18th, 2013, 12:01
Join Date:
Jan 2011
Location:
Calcutta
Posts:
398
  • rahul4640 is offline
#4
I went to Satkosia in the December of 2011. I was asking about it to a friend of mine before my journey, who originally hails from Bankura district but stays close to Angul, in the town of Talcher. He readily offered me accommodation at Talcher, which was only a short distance away, so I did not have to stay there. But I had seen that there were several hotels in Angul town (near the bus stand), which enables one to go and pay a visit, even in case accommodation is not available inside the jungle. Although entry is restricted at the forest after evening sets in, I guess there is nothing much to enjoy at night.
I may also say that it is a drive-able distance away from Calcutta, the road is good all the way (even the roads deep inside the forests), the place is very scenic and tranquil, totally devoid of any hustle and bustle of our cities. I also posted few pictures earlier in this forum, which may be seen here, in the message #15, at the bottom of the page.
Regards,
Rahul
#5 Jan 19th, 2013, 16:43
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
India
Posts:
9
  • Manis kumar is offline
#5
One of my lifetime wish is to see the fascinating animal "Tiger" in real. I am gonna plan a trip to Satkoshia soon.
#6 Jan 29th, 2013, 19:33
Join Date:
Feb 2010
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
94
  • tirupati.banerjee is offline
#6
I am trying to organize a trip for Satkosia in early March. Will a 3 days 2 nights trip be enough? Can somebody point out what is the easiest way to reach there?(I will be going there from Kolkata & wont be taking my personal car). Also what is the process for booking the Forest Rest house at Tikarpada or the eco cottages at Chottkei?
#7 Jan 29th, 2013, 20:28
Join Date:
Jan 2011
Location:
Calcutta
Posts:
398
  • rahul4640 is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirupati.banerjee View Post I am trying to organize a trip for Satkosia in early March. Will a 3 days 2 nights trip be enough?
IMHO that is sufficient time to watch the beauties of Satkosia, even with leisure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirupati.banerjee View Post Can somebody point out what is the easiest way to reach there? (I will be going there from Kolkata & wont be taking my personal car).
Please excuse me for thinking otherwise but I guess Satkosia is the ideal distance to reach with your own car, unless you have any problem otherwise to ride a car for 10-11 hours (with adequate breaks). The roads are good all the way and driving directions are easy and simple to remember. Please remember that the nearest town is Anugul (Angul), located at a distance of almost 40 KMs. With a car at your disposal you may not feel that you are somehow isolated from the rest of the world.
In case you are willing to travel only by train, please see trains in between Howrah and Angul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirupati.banerjee View Post Also what is the process for booking the Forest Rest house at Tikarpada or the eco cottages at Chottkei?
You may try this. Please go to the Contact us option and give them a call, to seek relevant information.
#8 Jan 30th, 2013, 17:06
Join Date:
Feb 2010
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
94
  • tirupati.banerjee is offline
#8
After going through the Satkosia website i found out there are 3 types of accomodation available in 3 different locations
Nature Camp at Purnakote
Forest Rest House at Tikadpara
EcoCottage at Chottkei

Also there are substational differences in tariff among these places as mentioned in the webiste. Can somebody point out the basic differences of these 3 properties and suggest which 1 should take? Also how far are these places among themselves? Since I am planning for 2 nights can I stay for 1 night each in 2 places out of these 3?
#9 Feb 3rd, 2013, 01:29
Join Date:
Jan 2011
Location:
Calcutta
Posts:
398
  • rahul4640 is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirupati.banerjee View Post After going through the Satkosia website i found out there are 3 types of accomodation available in 3 different locations
Nature Camp at Purnakote
Forest Rest House at Tikadpara
EcoCottage at Chottkei
Can somebody point out the basic differences of these 3 properties and suggest which 1 should take?
Dear Mr. Bannerjee, I did not initially respond to your queries because I expected that some knowledgeable person should surely come up with an answer. And I have not even stayed there, although I indeed visited that place. But as no one bothered to reply, let me come up with my own two cents. Please excuse me if it is found unwanted.

Nature camp at Purnakote is situated in a very lovely environment. If you wish to enjoy the serenity and the beautiy of the forest, I shall suggest that you stay there. However, please remember that it is situated at a a distance of over ten KMs from the Satkoaia river gorge, so you may not enjoy the charm of the river.

The forest rest house at Tikarpara is located on a high embankment, as both banks of the river rises sharply in Satkosia gorge. You may have a very good view of the river and the jungles from the view point there, located just in front of the forest rest house. The nearby crocodile breeding center is also a delightful thing to watch. IMHO it is the better option for staying.

I am sorry I have no idea about the Chottkei eco-cottages, as I have neither been there nor have seen the facilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirupati.banerjee View Post Also how far are these places among themselves? Since I am planning for 2 nights can I stay for 1 night each in 2 places out of these 3?
These places are not very far from one another but in such a case please remember that for you have to arrange for your own transport well in advance.
I sincerely hope that you will surely excuse me if I show a picture of me as well as my daughter, on our way to Talcher, where we stayed during our Satkosai traip.
Name:  433.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  68.5 KB
Warm regards,
Rahul
#10 Feb 19th, 2013, 13:34
Join Date:
Oct 2011
Location:
Want to live enerywhere
Posts:
3,422
  • Duronto Jajabar is offline
#10
Anwesha,

It's brief but nice TR. I tried twice for going there, but had to cancel. I know I missed a lot.

Now want to see the photos, Anwesha.
aamar payer tolai sorshe...(I have wheels under my feet)
#11 Feb 22nd, 2013, 18:50
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
kolkata
Posts:
929
  • Khak is offline
#11
Hi Rahul
what route did you take from Kolkata to Satkosia? Can you give more details of time taken, major congestion areas etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post I went to Satkosia in the December of 2011. I was asking about it to a friend of mine before my journey, who originally hails from Bankura district but stays close to Angul, in the town of Talcher. He readily offered me accommodation at Talcher, which was only a short distance away, so I did not have to stay there. But I had seen that there were several hotels in Angul town (near the bus stand), which enables one to go and pay a visit, even in case accommodation is not available inside the jungle. Although entry is restricted at the forest after evening sets in, I guess there is nothing much to enjoy at night.
I may also say that it is a drive-able distance away from Calcutta, the road is good all the way (even the roads deep inside the forests), the place is very scenic and tranquil, totally devoid of any hustle and bustle of our cities. I also posted few pictures earlier in this forum, which may be seen here, in the message #15, at the bottom of the page.
Regards,
Rahul
~Khak~

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do....... Explore. Dream. Discover.
#12 Feb 23rd, 2013, 01:02
Join Date:
Jan 2011
Location:
Calcutta
Posts:
398
  • rahul4640 is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khak View Post what route did you take from Kolkata to Satkosia?
I took the usual route via Jaleswar. Before entering Cuttack town watch out for the toll plaza. For the road to Angul you have to turn right at a place called Manguli Chowk, which comes soon afterwards. Please refer to Google maps or search Google earth for all your road related queries and driving directions. Please also feel free to send me a PM, in case you have any other question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khak View Post Can you give more details of time taken, major congestion areas etc.
It hardly takes anything more than 10-11 hours to reach Angul town, that too with adequate breaks and moderate speeds. From there Satkosia is only another 35-40 Kms. The road (NH-5) is really in good shape and apart from the usual congestion of trucks and lorries at the inter-state border, there is usually no other bottleneck of traffic anywhere.
#13 Jan 5th, 2014, 20:23
Join Date:
Jul 2013
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
124
  • tirtha22 is offline
#13
Just read an article recently about Satkosia Tiger Reserve and felt sorry for it.


http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle1928720.ece



Odhisa government is planning to reduce the area of the tiger reserve and exclude some villages from it where forest rules wont apply. One can easily fell timbers or do illegal activites like poaching from those areas.
#14 Jan 5th, 2014, 20:39
Join Date:
Jan 2012
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
584
  • life1style1 is offline
#14
Nice and brief report.
Would be great if you add some pictures to make it more spicy.
Only rules that matters are:What a man can do and what a man can not !!!!

****************************** **
Some of my compilations in Flickr
#15 Jul 4th, 2014, 11:53
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
WEST BENGAL
Posts:
60
Send a message via Yahoo to indrajit
  • indrajit is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesha Ghosh View Post Just came back from an enchanting trip to Satkoshia Tiger Reserve. Stayed at the Nature Camp at Purnakot. The Nature Camp at Purnakot is run by the forest department and lies on the main road 10 kms before Tikarpada. The arrangement at the the nature camp is very basic and the property lacks maintenance. But the bungalow is surrounded by dense forest on all the other three sides and the natural beauty of the place more than compensates for the accommodation difficulties. The bungalow compound is full of fruiting fig and other trees and is a treasure trove for those interested in bird watching…We saw lots of birds, many of which were lifers for us, Malabar Giant Squirrels and Barking Deer… Heard elephants calling from the hill just behind the bungalow while having open air lunch amidst the trees at the bungalow backward … Visited Tikarpada from Purnakot… The vista at Tikarpada is just awesome and the location of the Forest Rest House is very beautiful, on the hill facing the Mahanadi …But being 30th Jan afternoon, the whole place was swarming with hundreds of picnickers and was an absolute fish market…We gave up all hope of enjoying the natural beauty in peace and soon returned. Previously the forest department used to run tented accommodation on the banks of the Mahanadi at Tikarpada but now that arrangement has been dismantled. Some private tents are still available at the interior of a village at a distance from Tikarpada. That arrangement did not look much appealing to us. Chottkei is also very beautiful. Though the Eco Cottages are located at the centre of a huge cultivated field beside a village but the whole place is surrounded by dense forests on all sides.

My suggestions for those who plan to visit Satkoshia Tiger Reserve in near future:
The best place in terms of scenic beauty is definitely Tikarpada if one can avoid Sundays and other public holidays (especially during the winter months). At Tikarpada, stay at the FRH. Forest department tents on the banks of the Mahanadi are no longer available. Private tents are available inside a village and the location is not good enough.

The best staying arrangement is available at Chottkei where the forest department runs deluxe eco-cottages.

Those who enjoy bird watching should keep one day for Purnakot. Two types of accommodation are available there: cottage (2) and tents (2). Avoid the tents at all cost.

Booking at the forest department properties can be done in advance through the following link:

http://www.satkosia.org/booking.aspx

Bookings can also be done from the Forest Office at Angul.
Hello,
The trip report is wonderful and full of information. The suggestions about accommodation is helpful. Please try to add some photographs of the place and the accommodation.
Regards

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Documenting the growth of 5 Tiger cubs in Pench Tiger Reserve : 2011-2013 Apr 10th, 2014 18:26 249 44668 Indian Wildlife and National Parks
corbett tiger reserve Dec 9th, 2011 00:21 2 1192 Uttarakhand
Periyar Tiger Reserve Oct 5th, 2010 12:32 3 1281 Indian Wildlife and National Parks
Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve Mar 1st, 2010 13:37 9 4335 Indian Wildlife and National Parks
Tiger Reserve Sep 6th, 2007 07:02 4 1636 Indian Wildlife and National Parks


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success