Maha Guru Member
- About edwardseco
- Land that shakes and bakes.
- About Me
- 3 areas of focus: India, India, India.
First trip out to India 1976, last 2002. Favorites: Udaipur, Pune, and since no one else loves it, Hyderabad. Focus of research: agrarian structure and agricultural development. Village level work: Maharashtra courtesy of Fulbright Foundation, AIIS. Can amuse and appall people in Hindi & Marathi and at one time in Urdu. Baffling in Bengali. Thinks of Gumperz, Van Olphen, V.G.Kaleji (my language teachers) as gods. Thinks of Urdu as the most beautiful language and is one of a few dozen people that even know of that tragically neglected script: Modi. Favorite cuisine: Punjabi and favorite people: Maharashtrans. Personal heroes: Harold Mann, Daniel Thorner, Wolf Ladejinsky. Always plotting to get back to India but recently desperately house poor and even worse so, UC tuition poor. Thinks that money drives us all and doesn’t take things too seriously as a result. Motto: If you live long enough every possible embarrasment will occur to you. Also known as: Things are never so bad they can’t get worse..
- India, stamps, books (older the better), or anything at all.
- I interact with dullards and geniuses..
- Favorite Quote
- Nothing is so bad it can't get worse..
- Guilty Pleasure
- White chocolate, indeed any kind of chocolate. I consider it the primary food item for a vegetarian diet.
- Favorite Movies
- The Third Man, High Noon
- Favorite Music
- Rimsky Korsakov
- Favorite Books
- Favorite Television Programs
- Nothing on the vast wasteland, network..