Bangalore - Mangalore Train Service

Reply
#46 Dec 11th, 2007, 12:54
Join Date:
Apr 2007
Location:
Mumbai, India
Posts:
1,550
  • Sadanand Kamath is offline
#46
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwan View Post Take a look at Mangalore Madgaon Passenger.
It is a passenger train with 26 stops!!! but it takes only 6 hours and 10 minutes. The distance is 437 Kms. Even though the distance is lesser but if you see that Mysore to Bangalore is a 139kms stretch with only 1 station. So I think the train has to be faster.
The distance of 437 kms between Mangalore and Madgaon shown on the railway sites is the chargeable distance for the purpose of fares. The actual rail distance may be around 300 kms. Incidentally, the road distance between Mangalore and Madgaon is 326 kms on NH.17 and Konkan railway lines run more or less parallel to NH.17.

Sadanand
#47 Dec 11th, 2007, 15:11
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
Mangalore
Posts:
77
  • qwan is offline
#47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadanand Kamath View Post The distance of 437 kms between Mangalore and Madgaon shown on the railway sites is the chargeable distance for the purpose of fares. The actual rail distance may be around 300 kms. Incidentally, the road distance between Mangalore and Madgaon is 326 kms on NH.17 and Konkan railway lines run more or less parallel to NH.17.

Sadanand
Here again you prove that you argue just for arguing sake. If that is the case then the Konkan railways maps are false. The distance from station to station is mentioned in the maps. The sad part about the Konkan railways is that it is not a straight line as a railway track is supposed to be Infact up north near ratnagiri has more bends. Take a look at the Map at the konkan railways website and compare that with a roadmap and you will see that the NH17 is much straighter.

Any ways there have been other people like you in this thread who find it so hard to believe that the "bus lobby" has anything to do with delay in railways. Well here is a link

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems...nataka&Topic=0

Here in his inaugural speech at Mangalore railways station, Lalu blamed the bus lobby for the delay.
Quote:
Lalu Prasad Yadav listing reasons behind the delay in completion of broad-gauge between Mangalore and Bangalore, blamed bus lobby.

He said the project took 12 years to complete and faced problems in acquiring land, building bridges, tunnels and most importantly the bus lobby did not want the work completed.

‘‘But this time I have brought dawai (medicine) for bus lobby,’’ he said as the audience applauded.
I wont give any points for guessing the the "dawai"(medicine) that was given to the bus lobby.
Basically this one train still makes a bus journey appealing for someone who would like to leave mangalore after 10pm and reach there before 7pm. We all know that you could be travelling inside Bangalore city for 2 hours to reach certain destinations.
Also on a track that can atleast host 6 fast trains, we have been made to bear the bitterness of this "dawai"(medicine) by giving us only one train that is deliberatly running at 3 times slower than its capable speed.
Last edited by qwan; Dec 11th, 2007 at 15:14.. Reason: typo
#48 Dec 11th, 2007, 15:35
Join Date:
Jun 2007
Location:
Mysore, India
Posts:
2,133
  • ebby is offline
#48

Nothing personal

Hey Qwan, Nothing personal in this but read yesterdays Hindu. Railways make Rs.2.50 Lakhs from a passenger train as compared to 10 times that from freight. They had to cancel 1 pair of freight train for the express hence railways are losing a whooping 45 lakhs per day. I am only quoting from the Hindu! But I agree they can shave a few hours from the timing so that it can start around 9 pm and reach at 6 am.

However, I feel that the comparison of Madagaon train is not a appropriate one. The terrain is not similar especially the 55kms of ghat.
#49 Dec 11th, 2007, 17:32
Join Date:
Apr 2007
Location:
Mumbai, India
Posts:
1,550
  • Sadanand Kamath is offline
#49
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwan View Post Here again you prove that you argue just for arguing sake. If that is the case then the Konkan railways maps are false. The distance from station to station is mentioned in the maps. The sad part about the Konkan railways is that it is not a straight line as a railway track is supposed to be Infact up north near ratnagiri has more bends. Take a look at the Map at the konkan railways website and compare that with a roadmap and you will see that the NH17 is much straighter.

Any ways there have been other people like you in this thread who find it so hard to believe that the "bus lobby" has anything to do with delay in railways.

I guess, you are so paranoid with so called bus lobby and against the railway system that you tend to overlook the silver lining of Bangalore-Mangalore railway service. So much so that you have been repeatetively branding me with phrases like you are arguing for the sake of arguing, and other people like Sadanand who are everready to argue and justfy the incompetency and corruption in the railway ministry.......
Let me make it very clear to you. Neither I nor any of my family members are anyway connected with railways except that we regulalry travel in railways. I am also not the fan of bus travel to support the so called bus lobby. But I must admit that I am a great admirer of Indian railways for the simple reason that it runs one of the largest network of railways reasonably well.

I am not ready to buy the argument that bus lobby is so strong that they can influence the budgetery allocation to delay the construction of broad guage line from Mysore/Arsikere to Mangalore. In the ultimate analysis, it is the politicians of these areas who failed to effectively pursue the expeditious completion of the project.

There were justifiable complains that the project was unduly delayed. Now that Bangalore-Mangalore train has been introduced, the complain is the train is not fast enough. Eventually, the train will be speeded up, But there will be compalins that the timing of the train is not convenient. Perhaps there will also be complains that the number of boggies in the train is insufficient to cater to the need of passengers. Perhaps all these will be attributed to the bus lobby.

Sadanand
#50 Dec 11th, 2007, 18:51
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
Mangalore
Posts:
77
  • qwan is offline
#50
yes ebby you are right about the track. The track is not identical to Mangalore-madgaon, that is the reason I would not expect a train to complete the journy in 4 hours.
I have gone through the plan and know all the details.
The 55 kms track you are talking about is only between Sakleshpur and Subramanya road. This track has a gradient of 1 in 50 Ghat.
As you can see that this section of 55 kms takes 2 hours, which is fair enough.
The subramnya road to Mangalore is only 92kms and sakleshpur hassan is only 42 kms
I think this is easily a 8 to maximum 9 hours journey without reaching top speeds of shatabdi
#51 Dec 11th, 2007, 19:18
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
Mangalore
Posts:
77
  • qwan is offline
#51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadanand Kamath View Post I am not ready to buy the argument that bus lobby is so strong that they can influence the budgetery allocation to delay the construction of broad guage line from Mysore/Arsikere to Mangalore. In the ultimate analysis, it is the politicians of these areas who failed to effectively pursue the expeditious completion of the project.
Sadanand
Exactly you sound so adamant.
When even Lalu has admitted openly that the bus lobby is involved.
Many people in Mangalore know the bus lobby. We actually know first hand that the bus lobby has been influencing railway lines to Mangalore ever since the Konkan railway project.
But you seemed to be so biased inspite of the evidence. This fails me. You say the politicians have failed, yes they have...they have failed the public....BECAUSE OF THE BUS LOBBY.
So you dont blame ONLY the politician. We have to go the cause of every problem to fight it(solve it).
Why are you doing that. Why are justifying it.(trivialising the whole issue infact)
That is why I am passing those comments. Because you are taking time and energy to argue against something that is so evident.
Now it is getting to the point of sounding lame. Especially since Lalu himself has admitted it.
10 years ago I first hand knew of Bus owners eagerly wanting a particular party(I am not naming the party or else this might turn political) to come to power so that they could delay the Konkan railway. I still remember him telling my uncle that "you are rich you go by plane" when my uncle asked him. Then he went on to argue that "he has to fill his stomach blah blah and they will not mind a Konkan railway if the roads are proper."
I know and many people in Mangalore first hand know this. The Konkan railway was suppossed to be a six track project and Toyo engineering had given a quote and Estimated time of completion of 2 years.
This article was run in the Hindu years back. The article was on how Toyo engineering has built wonderful projects for Singapore and other foreign countries which have proved stable and at record time. But in India inspite of Quoting lower and having a lesser estimated time of completion, all the projects were scrapped. The reason given is that it was too costly.
Inspite of the fact that toyo engineering had given a quote well withing a budget.
The article was infact targeted at the Chenai metro project, where toyo Eng. had proposed to lay overhead tracks in Six months and if it was not feasible to dismantle the entire tracks in 3 months all for the budget that other contracters were only willing to lay the tracks. The time taken was longer by others.
This articles was giving the example of Konkan railway, where they pointed out that 6 years later The amount spent on the Konkan railway project was 2 times the amount Toyo engineering had quoted to finish it in 2 years and lay 6 tracks. This article was a good piece of journalism. The journalist had conducted lots of research and was trying to expose the scams of the Chennai authorities. In the process he uncovered this shocking reality about the Konkan railway project.
So I remember all this articles and I dont pull theories out my @ss.
I dont have a pre-written Bias in my mind. I have been following this issue from years. I had taken part in the protests.

Even the KCCI has unofficially expressed their dissapointment on the fact that the bus lobby is causing a great loss of commerce to this belt. They have not able to find any middle ground.

Politicians are corrupt. That is nothing new. The bus lobby is behind this that is the issue. Anyone can give money to politicians and get anything done(or undone).

And you just sit there are say "YOU" dont believe. Oh please pretty please.
With people like you who want to be ignorant but get some insane pleasure in convincing other people that "there is nothing wrong" People like you are the cause of the current state our country is in.
Shame on you my friend
#52 Dec 11th, 2007, 21:55
Join Date:
Apr 2007
Location:
Mumbai, India
Posts:
1,550
  • Sadanand Kamath is offline
#52
All I can say about your posts is that you are arguing for the sake of argument. On the one hand you say that Railway Ministry is incompetent and corrupt and when it suits you, you quote Railway Minister for his comments on bus lobby.

When I said that the time taken by the new for Bangalore-Mangalore run via Mysore is reasonable considering the newly laid track, giving example of Mahalaxmi Express train, you indirectly branded me being the supporters of bus lobby. When I gave the factual position of the Mangalore-Madgaon distance, you again branded me by saying that I am arguing for the sake of argument. I get an impression that the delay in introduction of Bangalore-Mangalore trains has emotionally upset you so much that you have develped a closed mind on the issue under debate. Hence, no purpose will be served by my giving here further elucidation on this issue. For me, the debate is closed.

Sadanand
#53 Dec 11th, 2007, 22:40
Join Date:
Jun 2007
Location:
Mysore, India
Posts:
2,133
  • ebby is offline
#53
[QUOTE=Sadanand Kamath;418679]All I can say about your posts is that you are arguing for the sake of argument. On the one hand you say that Railway Ministry is incompetent and corrupt and when it suits you, you quote Railway Minister for his comments on bus lobby.

My personal views without being emotional on the whole issue, since I too have been following on this line for a long time (earlier I used to live next to this line during MG days & subsequent conversion upto Arisekere during Devegowda regime) that there was a strong contention that the bus & lorry lobby was influencing the progress of this line and also the konkan line. One train is equivalent to nearly 50 luxury buses (1250 passengers per train/25 per bus)and so also true for the lorry transport . So the equation is pretty obvious. We cannot rule out the possibility considering what these guys were charging during this time. Anyway ,lets hope that all this is behind us and this line becomes as successful as konkan!!!
#54 Dec 11th, 2007, 22:42
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
Mangalore
Posts:
77
  • qwan is offline
#54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadanand Kamath View Post All I can say about your posts is that you are arguing for the sake of argument. On the one hand you say that Railway Ministry is incompetent and corrupt and when it suits you, you quote Railway Minister for his comments on bus lobby.

When I said that the time taken by the new for Bangalore-Mangalore run via Mysore is reasonable considering the newly laid track, giving example of Mahalaxmi Express train, you indirectly branded me being the supporters of bus lobby. When I gave the factual position of the Mangalore-Madgaon distance, you again branded me by saying that I am arguing for the sake of argument. I get an impression that the delay in introduction of Bangalore-Mangalore trains has emotionally upset you so much that you have develped a closed mind on the issue under debate. Hence, no purpose will be served by my giving here further elucidation on this issue. For me, the debate is closed.

Sadanand
First of all. You I really dont know what is your point. My point it pretty clear. The bus lobby has got its way.
You did not like me saying that and thus the argument started.
I am just quoting the minister to show your "closed mind" that a bus lobby exists and it is so strong that the minister had to say it out loud. The same very buss lobby you "find so hard to believe".
Secondly you blame the corrupt politicians. But you dont understand the fact that a bus lobby to get anything done, needs corrupt politicians. Everybody knows that politicians are corrupt not a new thing.
Third your fact about Mangalore-madgaon track is not a fact. You are "assuming" it since you think that it "pretty much follows the highway". But the map in Maps of India and the map on the konkan railway and on many other websites show that the distance is infact 430 kms. So according to you for the sake of "chargeable fare" the Konkan railways has got convinced everyone that the distance is 430kms.

Last of all I am not emotionally upset by the delay in the trains, it is people like you who piss me off.
The fact is that a bus lobby exists and it is doing everything in its power to hold on to its profits. That is fact. It is the truth,period. You giving facts that madgaon-mangalore track is not 430 kms does will not change the truth.
The main point here is that a bus lobby exists. You are denying that. And giving such excuses. You have a closed mind. And you seem to be upset with anyone who says that there is a bus lobby.

You have put your foot in your mouth too many times so I think it is wise for you to stop arguing. Because you really dont have a point.
The reason why I say you are arguing for arguing sake is because you want to deny the existance of a bus lobby by showing the mahalaxmi express as an example. After that you come up with new arguments when that is refuted. I already told you getting a new train to run on a track that is already running close to 30 trains is not a joke and the new train has to "wait" so that the regular trains keep up their time.

Take a look at ebbys comment. Infact he had a valid point which I have accepted. If this Mangalore-bangalore section did not have a ghat section then trains would complete this stretch in 5-6 hours. Right now I still feel(keeping in mind all the variables) that a train can still complete this stretch in 9 hours and later on can be reduced to 8 hours(even 7 hours and less if we have a shatabdi.

I did agree to your very valid point(the only valid point you ever made) that shatabdi would not be able to complete its journey. I did agree with you. You reminded me that Shatabdis were made for short distances and to complete the two way journey in a day.
You see I am even have the humbleness to accept that I was wrong. Atleast from now i wont go around wishing for them to extend the Mysore-chennai shatabdi because YOU pointed it out to me.

You see I am open minded. I really Laughed out loud when thought I was emotionally upset on the delay
Trolls like you piss me off thats all.
Seriously I just had some free time on my hand or else I would not have even bothered to reply to a person like you. This forum is about giving people the right information. Your "facts" are misleading the people and people reading this post might feel that this Bus lobby is something like a 9/11 conspiracy theory.
You speak with such conviction though that you sound believable
I have been long enough on the net to know the likes of you . You are the kind of "educated" people who find something very convincing and have to "make a point" just for kicks.
Anyway I already told You I am really happy with this train. I have to really be greatful to that I got this much atleast(with people like you around) I would enjoy it
#55 Dec 11th, 2007, 23:21
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
Mangalore
Posts:
77
  • qwan is offline
#55
[QUOTE=ebby;418702]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadanand Kamath View Post My personal views without being emotional on the whole issue, since I too have been following on this line for a long time (earlier I used to live next to this line during MG days & subsequent conversion upto Arisekere during Devegowda regime) that there was a strong contention that the bus & lorry lobby was influencing the progress of this line and also the konkan line. One train is equivalent to nearly 50 luxury buses (1250 passengers per train/25 per bus)and so also true for the lorry transport . So the equation is pretty obvious. We cannot rule out the possibility considering what these guys were charging during this time. Anyway ,lets hope that all this is behind us and this line becomes as successful as konkan!!!
It looks we posted at the same time so did no read. There is no need to apologetic about it :-P
It is true very true. All you have to do is stand near pumpwell circle at night after 9 and count the number of buses going to Bangalore. This track has the capacity to take away all their business and still have enough capacity for double the passengers and more. In fact you cannot even enter this lucrative business of running buses on the Mangalore-Bangalore route even if you have the money. You really need to know high people in politics or you need to be a mafia don. It is so damn obvious.
Apart from being obvious it is a known fact. Mangalore is such a small place that we all know someone who knows a bus owner who has told them the lobby exists. They have predicted this business to run for another 10 years. So don't expect too many trains on this route for another 10 years.

I just don't know from where these people come and start denying it so passionately. To tell you the truth I know how such a forum posters mind works. These posters actually post/argue/give their point of view on the basis of their thoughts that arise at the time they are reading the post. They don't post based on factual information or their previous knowledge.(something like desktop journalism) It is a kind of a hobby to just try to pen something down on the current topic you know like a challenge. You must have heard the proverb that a thief thinks that the whole world is a thief, so think that everyone who is posting on forums are doing the same think and that a forum thread is just meant for such kind of people to beat each other at this "game".

So that was a lesson in forum posters phycology and I am signing off from this thread
I just had subscribed to it because i wanted to know the date of the start of the train now since I know it I think it is enough.
I still remember i think in this thread only there was a person who did no think that there was a bus lobby but after my comment, He came back and posted that yes there is a bus lobby but you cannot deny that the track has lot of landslide prone areas.
Atleast talking to people like that is of use.
The fact is that this track has one of the toughest environments but it would never take 10 years if there was no bus lobby.
I officially sign off from this thread.
Happy journey.
On a last note guys. did you know that there is track which is being laid, Sakleshpura to Kadur which goes via Chikmagalur.
Check out the map here

That would make a comfortable journey to chikmagalur too but god knows when that would start.
this map is of 2005 by now work should have finished. there is even a proposed track to sagar. Man it would good to take a train ride all the way to Jog falls.
Safe journey everybody
#56 Dec 12th, 2007, 07:21
Join Date:
Apr 2007
Location:
Mumbai, India
Posts:
1,550
  • Sadanand Kamath is offline
#56
The quote given in qwan's post No.55 is wrongly credited to me. In fact the said quote is of ebby ( Please see his post No.53).

Sadanand
#57 Dec 22nd, 2007, 17:07
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
Mangalore
Posts:
77
  • qwan is offline
#57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadanand Kamath View Post The quote given in qwan's post No.55 is wrongly credited to me. In fact the said quote is of ebby ( Please see his post No.53).

Sadanand
Thanks for pointing that out because that post is a sensible one and I am agreeing to it. :-P.
I think it is a forum mistake I will try to edit it.
#58 May 20th, 2011, 21:47
Join Date:
Mar 2007
Location:
Bath
Posts:
275
  • matt67 is offline
#58
how is the mangalore to bangalore railway running now. On time etc.
Om shanti Om
#59 May 21st, 2011, 07:57
Join Date:
Jun 2007
Location:
Mysore, India
Posts:
2,133
  • ebby is offline
#59
Wonderful trip except that during the monsoons, the trains get cancelled due to landslides. Try the morning train from either side to see the beautiful scenery and the 59 tunnels.
#60 May 23rd, 2011, 14:40
Join Date:
Oct 2005
Location:
Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts:
196
  • kadri is offline
#60
Train is running on time. Max 1 hour plus. But getting tickets is just impossible. Even for buses you need to book in advance especially on weekends.
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
mangalore-mysore train? Sep 20th, 2007 12:11 24 11712 Indian Railways
Mangalore -> Bangalore trains? Oct 28th, 2005 14:27 14 10083 Indian Railways
Nonstop train Mangalore-Delhi! 2524 km Apr 20th, 2005 07:17 10 14972 Indian Railways
Bus/Train from Chennai to Mangalore? Nov 22nd, 2004 16:23 7 13566 Indian Railways
bangalore to mangalore Jan 9th, 2004 18:38 0 3386 Karnataka


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success