Senior Citizen Concession Eligibility

#1 Oct 23rd, 2011, 15:05
Join Date:
Oct 2011
Location:
India
Posts:
2
  • harsha2501 is offline
#1
Dear All,

I have read the senior citizen discount eligibility rules in Indian railways for men. However I am unable to comprehend one case, though it sounds simple.

For men, it is said concession is for men aged 60+ years.

My dad is born in March 1952. Can I book a ticket for travel in Nov marking him as senior citizen.

Please confirm.


Thanks

Harsha
#2 Oct 23rd, 2011, 20:59
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Hyderabad, india
Posts:
8,561
  • narendra.d is offline
#2
What is so difficult to understand in the rules? If as on date of travel he isn't 60 years old, he is not eligible for discount.
#3 Oct 23rd, 2011, 23:55
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
58,416
  • Nick-H is offline
#3
It may be a confusion of usage.

I'm confused about the confusion, but I think it is between being in one's 60th year, and having completed 60 years. According to this, some people will feel that they are "60" in the year leading up to the sixtieth anniversary of their birth.

According to that way of thinking, I am 60 already!

I too was born in 1952. I will not qualify for the Senior Citizen concession until after my birthday in 2012.
#4 Oct 24th, 2011, 02:34
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,708
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha2501 View Post Dear All,

I have read the senior citizen discount eligibility rules in Indian railways for men. However I am unable to comprehend one case, though it sounds simple.

For men, it is said concession is for men aged 60+ years.

My dad is born in March 1952. Can I book a ticket for travel in Nov marking him as senior citizen.

Please confirm.


Thanks

Harsha
Yes, for journey dated after your dad's birthday in March 2012.
#5 Oct 24th, 2011, 02:53
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Kibbutz Hamadia. Israel
Posts:
606
  • dcamrass1 is online now
#5
If booking on the IRCTC website you give the date of birth, then if due a S/C discount site will automatically bill you at 50% of full price.So far that's how it worked for us, that's why we have moved up from S/C to 2AC.
#6 Oct 24th, 2011, 02:57
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,708
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamrass1 View Post If booking on the IRCTC website you give the date of birth, then if due a S/C discount site will automatically bill you at 50% of full price.
Male>60 years=> 40% of basic fare.
Female>58 years=> 50% of basic fare.

https://www.irctc.co.in/seniorstznconn.htm
#7 Oct 24th, 2011, 04:02
Join Date:
Nov 2005
Location:
England
Posts:
90
  • willj is offline
#7
May be difficult, most unlikely.

Every time I have received discount,(probably 10 - 12 times) I have had to prove it with my passport. As I remember the first time I didn't even have to ask, I was given the discount automatically as soon as the booking clerk saw my age in my passport.
Several times I have had my train ticket for my first journey on the evening of landing in Delhi booked well in advance by an agent in the CP, booking us in at the Ashoka as well, who has always stated that he could not get the discounted price on my behalf as HE couldn't prove my age. Have booked this way in advance to make sure we (with my son) get 1AC coupe.

Last time I traveled on IR, couple of years ago, I was 72.

Regards to all
#8 Oct 24th, 2011, 04:21
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,708
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by willj View Post May be difficult, most unlikely.

Every time I have received discount,(probably 10 - 12 times) I have had to prove it with my passport. As I remember the first time I didn't even have to ask, I was given the discount automatically as soon as the booking clerk saw my age in my passport.
Several times I have had my train ticket for my first journey on the evening of landing in Delhi booked well in advance by an agent in the CP, booking us in at the Ashoka as well, who has always stated that he could not get the discounted price on my behalf as HE couldn't prove my age. Have booked this way in advance to make sure we (with my son) get 1AC coupe.

Last time I traveled on IR, couple of years ago, I was 72.

Regards to all
If you are talking about booking the tickets from the counters, then one do not need to produce the proof of age then and there. It is the TTE in the train who needs to check for the same. In some cases, when the TTE feels obvious about the age of the person being 58/60+ just by seeing the person he does not ask for any proof. However, most of them does.
If one is unable to produce none of the valid id proofs in original as accepted by the Railways, he would not have to pay any fine. Just the difference in fare/the concession received shall have to be paid back against an EFT.
#9 Oct 24th, 2011, 10:26
Join Date:
Oct 2011
Location:
India
Posts:
2
  • harsha2501 is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post It may be a confusion of usage.

I'm confused about the confusion, but I think it is between being in one's 60th year, and having completed 60 years. According to this, some people will feel that they are "60" in the year leading up to the sixtieth anniversary of their birth.

According to that way of thinking, I am 60 already!

I too was born in 1952. I will not qualify for the Senior Citizen concession until after my birthday in 2012.
Thank you Mr. Nick,

This is exactly my confusion.. So looks I may have to cancel the tickets I already booked!

Harsha
#10 Oct 24th, 2011, 11:21
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Hyderabad, india
Posts:
8,561
  • narendra.d is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post I think it is between being in one's 60th year, and having completed 60 years. According to this, some people will feel that they are "60" in the year leading up to the sixtieth anniversary of their birth. [/I]
So can one say a just born baby is 1 year old as that is its first year? No, right.

60 years completed as on day of travel, not in the 60th year. This age thing is a very local phenomena. People generally mention the year running rather than the years completed.
#11 Oct 24th, 2011, 12:17
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
14,594
  • nycank is offline
#11
It is simple as mud. You board the train - Are you 60 years old that day ? If not, nada.
#12 Oct 24th, 2011, 14:53
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
58,416
  • Nick-H is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.d View Post So can one say a just born baby is 1 year old as that is its first year? No, right.
Exactly. But only in India have I encountered this alternative interpretation of age. I thought it was quite common here. Perhaps its a Chennai thing?
#13 Oct 24th, 2011, 14:53
Join Date:
Nov 2005
Location:
England
Posts:
90
  • willj is offline
#13
Agreed.


But I must add that I have never been challenged or asked for proof of age whilst travelling.

Happy Diwali all.
#14 Oct 24th, 2011, 15:12
Join Date:
Jan 2008
Location:
india
Posts:
7,520
  • brishti is offline
#14

a diwali sparkler...

now that the OP's doubts have been clarified... if i may...
Attached Images
IM.jpg 
#15 Oct 26th, 2011, 10:16
Join Date:
Mar 2008
Location:
Hong Kong
Posts:
91
  • hongkonger is offline
#15
Just an aside, but this age thing is common among Chinese, too. If they are in the 60th year of their life, they will say they are 60 rather than 59. Or a company that was founded in 1987, for example, will celebrate its silver anniversary in 2011, not 2012.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Berth Allotment for Senior Citizen Oct 15th, 2011 16:02 14 2759 Indian Railways
Are foreigners aged 60 & above entitled to senior concession rates for Indian trains? Sep 15th, 2011 08:05 11 1426 Indian Railways
Himachal Pradesh Road Transport Corporation(HRTC) - Concession for Senior Citizens Jul 20th, 2011 21:33 4 2168 Himachal Pradesh
Senior citizen card Jan 6th, 2011 22:04 2 4299 Indian Railways
Senior citizen ID .... Jul 2nd, 2009 16:54 5 11101 Indian Railways


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success