Question about Unreserved General Fare

#1 Jul 12th, 2009, 17:23
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
HK
Posts:
72
  • r_shum2 is offline
#1
The website (http://indiarailinfo.com/search/1260/126) shows a train 1JPJ Jaisalmer to Jodhpur. The train has 2S, SL and FC, but the fare table only shows Unreserved General Fare Rs70.

Questions:
1. Is it a special train, coz reseration website can't retrieve the train.
2. How it works for this train? Can I book FC seat online?
3. Or get upgraded on broad?
#2 Jul 13th, 2009, 14:03
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Missing, see bottom of post
Posts:
15,706
  • steven_ber is offline
#2
There is only 2nd class unreserved on that train, you buy a 2nd class ticket from the ticket window before you travel.

I'm not sure if tickets are sold 30 minutes or an hour before the train departs.

The train is a normal daily train, but it doesn't appear on booking websites because it doesn't have any bookable classes.

I took that train a few years ago and really enjoyed it, the locals were really friendly, I was playing cards with them for chai, I kept losing, but it only cost me about Rs60, great value for money.

The train wasn't too busy at the start, but was busy further along the route and filled up for the last third of the journey, the last hour or so seemed long, but overall, an enjoyable journey.
.
SOS: Missing Person...

Please look at this thread, even if you are not in India.: Have you seen Jonathan Spollen?

He could be anywhere now: You might have met him, be able to help, or give information.
#3 Jul 13th, 2009, 21:18
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
HK
Posts:
72
  • r_shum2 is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_ber View Post There is only 2nd class unreserved on that train, you buy a 2nd class ticket from the ticket window before you travel.
Just curious why the
website (http://indiarailinfo.com/search/1260/126) shows it has SL and FC as well???
#4 Jul 13th, 2009, 22:50
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
Pune, India
Posts:
144
  • sarkar is offline
#4
This is a local passenger train for which ticket will be available at the counter only.
#5 Jul 15th, 2009, 13:31
Join Date:
Jan 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
817
  • arunganpath is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_shum2 View Post Just curious why the
website (http://indiarailinfo.com/search/1260/126) shows it has SL and FC as well???
this is not the authorised site of Indian Railways. check this

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/cgi_bin...t_cgi_date.cgi

there is no mention of that train, but it is an unreserved train. If you want a reserved ticket, why not try 4809?
#6 Jul 15th, 2009, 14:23
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Missing, see bottom of post
Posts:
15,706
  • steven_ber is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_shum2 View Post Just curious why the
website (http://indiarailinfo.com/search/1260/126) shows it has SL and FC as well???
Difficult to say really, I don't use that website.

If I had to guess, I say.....there are many train search websites, however, the Indian rail network is extremely complex, and just doing a webpage that can search the train times is nowhere near enough, it has to be fine tuned by someone who understands the railways, and this fine tuning takes a lot of time and effort, and to a certain degree it's never ending, this train is an example of why knowledge is important, although passenger trains can have either of those classes, it's highly unlikely that a passenger train would have all 3, but an untrained eye wouldn't know that.

Erail is the only train search website I know that has put endless effort into creating an accurate user-friendly train search website, it really is in a league of it's own.
#7 Jul 15th, 2009, 14:26
Join Date:
Jan 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
817
  • arunganpath is offline
#7
I agree with Steven.. The owners of Erail have put in efforts similar to that of Steven's to understand the needs of travellers and have provisions for everything - including availability, PNR Status, running status and trains between stations.
#8 Jul 15th, 2009, 15:08
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
Indiana
Posts:
1,113
  • gaurav1441 is offline
#8
The train would not have SL coaches. There would only be Second Sitting and First Class available. I had seen similar information on indiarailinfo.com for a train from Vapi to Mumbai, site indicated that there would be 2S,SL and FC but at the station came to know that there is no SL on the train but the train timings of passenger trains were accurate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_ber View Post Difficult to say really, I don't use that website.

If I had to guess, I say.....there are many train search websites, however, the Indian rail network is extremely complex, and just doing a webpage that can search the train times is nowhere near enough, it has to be fine tuned by someone who understands the railways, and this fine tuning takes a lot of time and effort, and to a certain degree it's never ending, this train is an example of why knowledge is important, although passenger trains can have either of those classes, it's highly unlikely that a passenger train would have all 3, but an untrained eye wouldn't know that.

Erail is the only train search website I know that has put endless effort into creating an accurate user-friendly train search website, it really is in a league of it's own.
#9 Jul 15th, 2009, 16:06
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
HK
Posts:
72
  • r_shum2 is offline
#9

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunganpath View Post http://www.indianrail.gov.in/cgi_bin...t_cgi_date.cgi

there is no mention of that train, but it is an unreserved train. If you want a reserved ticket, why not try 4809?
We don't want too many overnight trains (we can't sleep well on train). We are thinking to try AC3 Train4060 (17:15~21:45). I heard 2nd class coach can be full of sand when travelling in the desert.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav1441 View Post The train would not have SL coaches. There would only be Second Sitting and First Class available.
Then how can I buy the ticket for first class? Queue at the booking office of Jaisalmer just before departure? Thanks.
#10 Jul 15th, 2009, 16:13
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
Indiana
Posts:
1,113
  • gaurav1441 is offline
#10
I am not sure but unreserved tickets can be bought three days in advanced so need not be minutes before departure. You ca buy them beforehand at convieient time.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
General question about hotels and traveling Jan 6th, 2006 17:29 6 737 Lodging and Hotels in India
General question about jewelry Oct 15th, 2005 17:22 1 980 Chai and Chat
General question re. prices for electronic goods Sep 12th, 2005 20:58 5 1856 Electronics in India
Indian Airlines Rupee Fare/Dollar Fare Aug 9th, 2005 20:48 6 2828 Domestic India Flights
Question on taxi fare Mar 23rd, 2004 09:02 2 1340 Buses, Automobiles, Motorcycles, and Bicycles


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success