Booking Point vs Boarding point- drastic change in availability?

#1 Jan 10th, 2010, 19:53
Join Date:
Aug 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
49
  • c195ikon is offline
#1
Hello all,
I was taken aback by the status shown on my ticket ( e-booking) on IRCTC once I had cleared the payment.The booking was done on 2620 Matysagandha Exp from Udupi ( UD) to LTT with a boarding point given as Kundapur (KUDA). Till the moment the screens proceeded till payment page, it showed Availbility as 002. However, post payment, I got the ERS showing WL 12!

My line of thought is that the system has picked up the quota for Kundapur - which is definitely less than Udupi, but given that I had chosen to book from Udupi ( and pay the addtional fare!), I am in for a rude shock.

any insights on how this happens...should I not be heading to cancel this ticket?
#2 Jan 10th, 2010, 20:25
Join Date:
Sep 2004
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
3,072
  • Digital Drifter is offline
#2
Yes, that happens. Same thing happens when you try Maddur instead of Bangalore on the Mayiladuthurai express.

i.e. book from Maddur (50KM before Bangalore SBC) and try to board at SBC, it shortchanges you in terms of seat availability. Though I distinctly remember the booking screens warn you that availability is calculated from the boarding station. I could be wrong on that.

That's why I choose Boarding too as Maddur when I'm booking at short notice and hope the TTR does not re-allocate in the 45-1hr time to SBC. Worked so far.
#3 Jan 10th, 2010, 21:03
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
Airports, Hotels, and Queues
Posts:
515
  • ribhu95 is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by c195ikon View Post Hello all,
I was taken aback by the status shown on my ticket ( e-booking) on IRCTC once I had cleared the payment.The booking was done on 2620 Matysagandha Exp from Udupi ( UD) to LTT with a boarding point given as Kundapur (KUDA). Till the moment the screens proceeded till payment page, it showed Availbility as 002. However, post payment, I got the ERS showing WL 12!

My line of thought is that the system has picked up the quota for Kundapur - which is definitely less than Udupi, but given that I had chosen to book from Udupi ( and pay the addtional fare!), I am in for a rude shock.

any insights on how this happens...should I not be heading to cancel this ticket?
Allocation is done for boarding point and not booking point.

ribhu
#4 Jan 11th, 2010, 10:19
Join Date:
Aug 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
49
  • c195ikon is offline
#4
But is this a recent change? Cause in Oct 09, I booked Veraval- TVC train from BL ( valsad) and boarding at Panvel and it worked fine....(the availability at Panvel was far less than BL and that is the reason I did that, thereby paying an addtional for the distance, but making sure I got a berth)...but this time it seems to have backfired.
#5 Jan 11th, 2010, 14:41
Join Date:
Jun 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
63
  • travel_lover_007 is offline
#5
In case if boarding point is different than the origin, then the seats are booked under the quota operating from the boarding point and not the origin.

In the present case, Udupi and Kundapur fall under different quotas. Please see this:

Ex. Kundapura:


Train NumberTrain NameDate (DD-MM-YYYY)Source StationDestination StationQuota Code2620 MATSYAGANDA EXP11-02-2010KUNDAPURA LOKMANYATILAK TGENERAL
S.No.Date (DD-MM-YYYY)Class - SL Class -3A
1 11- 2-2010 AVAILABLE 12 WL 8/WL 8
2 12- 2-2010 AVAILABLE 6 AVAILABLE 6
3 13- 2-2010 WL 44/WL 41 WL 22/WL 15
4 14- 2-2010 WL 118/WL 106 WL 39/WL 32
5 15- 2-2010 WL 33/WL 30 WL 21/WL 18
6 16- 2-2010 WL 5/WL 5 WL 4/WL 4


Ex. Udupi:

Train NumberTrain NameDate (DD-MM-YYYY)Source StationDestination StationQuota Code2620 MATSYAGANDA EXP11-02-2010UDUPI LOKMANYATILAK TGENERAL
S.No.Date (DD-MM-YYYY)Class - SL Class -3A
1 11- 2-2010 AVAILABLE 88 AVAILABLE 73
2 12- 2-2010 AVAILABLE 136 AVAILABLE 73
3 13- 2-2010 AVAILABLE 22 AVAILABLE 4
4 14- 2-2010 AVAILABLE 9 AVAILABLE 1
5 15- 2-2010 AVAILABLE 71 AVAILABLE 38
6 16- 2-2010 AVAILABLE 126 AVAILABLE 61


It seems that before making the payment on IRCTC, you changed the boarding point to KUDA as a result of which it was allocated in KUDA quota and hence the waitlist.


In such situations, what I normally do is book the ticket from point A to C and then go to the PRS counter and get the boarding point changed to point B.
#6 Jan 11th, 2010, 14:45
Join Date:
Jun 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
63
  • travel_lover_007 is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by c195ikon View Post But is this a recent change?
No, this is not a recent change. It has been that way only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c195ikon View Post Cause in Oct 09, I booked Veraval- TVC train from BL ( valsad) and boarding at Panvel and it worked fine....(the availability at Panvel was far less than BL and that is the reason I did that, thereby paying an addtional for the distance, but making sure I got a berth)...but this time it seems to have backfired.
It has been observed in stray cases that while booking tickets online, the tickets get alloted in the quota operating at the origin rather than the boarding point. These are one off instances and not the norm.
#7 Jan 11th, 2010, 15:25
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
in
Posts:
278
  • nairpriya2004 is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by c195ikon View Post But is this a recent change? Cause in Oct 09, I booked Veraval- TVC train from BL ( valsad) and boarding at Panvel and it worked fine....(the availability at Panvel was far less than BL and that is the reason I did that, thereby paying an addtional for the distance, but making sure I got a berth)...but this time it seems to have backfired.
Dont try this kind of luck. i was stuck once on this
some how manged later. the luck was become bit expensive
#8 Jan 12th, 2010, 07:23
Join Date:
Aug 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
49
  • c195ikon is offline
#8
Dear travel_lover_007,

Thanks for your inputs. I will go by your advise in the future.
#9 Jan 16th, 2010, 11:50
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
HYDERABAD
Posts:
4,264
  • vsp27759 is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel_lover_007 View Post It seems that before making the payment on IRCTC, you changed the boarding point to KUDA as a result of which it was allocated in KUDA quota and hence the waitlist.

In such situations, what I normally do is book the ticket from point A to C and then go to the PRS counter and get the boarding point changed to point B.

##Good exercise done to explain the issue perfectly, Mr.travel_lover!!

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Boarding point change Sep 1st, 2011 20:45 54 31272 Indian Railways
Change of Boarding Point for Tatkal e-tickets Dec 20th, 2010 12:29 8 59781 Indian Railways
Change of Boarding point of one passenger out of three. Aug 23rd, 2009 14:55 1 1796 Indian Railways
how to change the boarding point in an already booked tatkal ticket? Jun 4th, 2009 13:02 1 8921 Indian Railways


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success