Madurai to Thekkady

#1 Jan 4th, 2007, 18:35
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
Bangalore, nitu2305@gmail.com
Posts:
43
Send a message via Yahoo to geminitu
  • geminitu is offline
#1
Hi

Wish to send my family fr blore to madurai we manage to travel by train. Madurai to Thekkady, heard there are lot of buses, how is the conditions, are they frequent buses ??? or how much it would cost if we travel by car and any details of car n good driver ??????? if someone can throw some light.

also any KTDC operating local tours at Thekkady ??? for 1-2 days, or any other local operators. pls......

thanks
nitu
Last edited by machadinha; Jan 10th, 2007 at 02:38.. Reason: moved to itinerary forum
#2 Jan 4th, 2007, 18:46
Join Date:
Dec 2004
Location:
India
Posts:
10
Send a message via Yahoo to shan5
  • shan5 is offline
#2

hi nitu

you could try n get info at KSTDC Office at BADAMI House : Ph numbers: 080 22275883



Quote:
Originally Posted by geminitu Hi

Wish to send my family fr blore to madurai we manage to travel by train. Madurai to Thekkady, heard there are lot of buses, how is the conditions, are they frequent buses ??? or how much it would cost if we travel by car and any details of car n good driver ??????? if someone can throw some light.

also any KTDC operating local tours at Thekkady ??? for 1-2 days, or any other local operators. pls......

thanks
nitu
#3 Jan 4th, 2007, 19:05
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
57
  • sebin is offline
#3
i hope this is the route.
Madurai -Dindigal -Teni-Body-Bodymet-munnar-Thekkady

The road is in good condition(NH-49) up to Body. then to munnar it the nice bend and curve road. hmm.. i will let you know the killo meters if you are interested.

for taxi this is the normal rate in tamil nadu
for ambassador = Rs. 5 per km(yes you can bargain upto 4.5 haha..)
for qualis Rs. 6.5
#4 Jan 4th, 2007, 20:59
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
Bangalore, nitu2305@gmail.com
Posts:
43
Send a message via Yahoo to geminitu
  • geminitu is offline
#4
Hi Shan,
tks, but ksrtc may not operate local tour at Kerala, so it must be KTDC or local bodies.

Hi Sebin,
Tks, i didn't c the route but i guess the km was around 140 km fr madurai to Thekkady.
#5 Jan 5th, 2007, 21:02
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
81
  • yuhoo is offline
#5
Hi

Thekkady is a wonderful plz !! You do get frequent buses to Kumily from Madurai ! atleast once every hour ...... ! I have visited thekkady from madurai on a government bus. It takes 3 hrs approx , not a very comfortable journey !!! But never the less its not tedious either !!!

depends on ur budget and things like that , taxis might be costly ! Kumily is the plz jus before thekkady - 5 mins or so ...

i'll see if i can dig in more details and get back to me ...

but i heard there r some problems thr recently between kerala and tamil nadu due to the periyar dam ! periyar dam is exactly neat thekkady !! i even heard of some protests in kumily !! jus take care abt that !
#6 Jan 6th, 2007, 16:32
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
erode(tamilnadu)
Posts:
149
  • subabu2002 is offline
#6
sebin`s reply is incorrect.yuhoo is correct, madurai-theni-kambam-kumuli-thekkady. the route is bour upto kambam.from kambam to kumuli,it will take 25 kms ride(samll hills).

in thekkady,only a dam is watchable to visit.for thekkady,only a day is more than enough. so,try to go to munnar from thekkady(around 120kms) i forgot approx kms.

or try to going to kodaikkanal.the route from thekkady is thekkady-kambam-theni-periyakulam-kodaikkanal.its around 200kms.last 60kms is hills.

if u going to takkady only,go by bus or u will change your itinerary to takkady and munnar or kodaikkanal,take a cab from madurai.

if u returned to home from madurai to bangalore,try thekkady and kodaikkanal or kodaikkanal only.

if u will able to go through coimbatore to bangalore,try thekkady and munnar.the route from thekkady and munnar is,thekkady-munnar(hills)-udumalpet-pollachi-coimbatore-bangalore.

if any other help,dont hesitate to ask me

suresh babu.
#7 Jan 6th, 2007, 16:33
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
erode(tamilnadu)
Posts:
149
  • subabu2002 is offline
#7
problems of periyar dam doesnt affect tourists.so dont worry.

suresh babu.
#8 Jan 6th, 2007, 16:44
Join Date:
Nov 2006
Location:
NEW DELHI, INDIA
Posts:
1,344
  • SANJAY_DEL is offline
#8
Distances from Thekkady / Kumily (PERIYAR LAKE)
Kottayam - Kumily 110 km (4 hrs)
Munnar - Kumily 110 km (4 hrs)
Madurai - Kumily 136 km (3 hrs)
Thiruvananthapuram - Kumily 265 km (8 hrs)
Thekkady - Kumily 4 km (10 min)
Kodaikanal - Kumily 149 km (5 hrs)
Idukki - Kumily 65 km (21/2 hrs)
Alleppey - Kumily 160 km (51/2 hrs)
Ooty - Kumily 390 km (11 hrs)

Source: Kerala Govt website
#9 Jan 6th, 2007, 20:14
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
Bangalore, nitu2305@gmail.com
Posts:
43
Send a message via Yahoo to geminitu
  • geminitu is offline
#9
Hi Yuhoo n sanjay,

Thank u so much for the details.

Hi suresh, thanks again.

c it is like this, want to send my family for 5 days trip, someone told tekkady is too good. hence myidea was let them c n stay 1 day in madurai and next 2 days in thekkady n 1 day in munnar, but again i do not want them to be keep travellng too. any other good places to c apart from this ????

still i prefer something like this. train avail fr blore to "x" place, stay for 3-4 days n back.


Nitu
#10 Jan 6th, 2007, 20:51
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
erode(tamilnadu)
Posts:
149
  • subabu2002 is offline
#10
hi gemini,

for 5 days trip,it is not advisable to travel by bus.. take a cab in madurai and avoid heavy tierdness of bus travelling.so,dont go by bus.

1 day in madurai,if u reached madurai in morning,i think you dont need to stay in madurai.

1 day in thekkady,

2 days in munnar.munnar far better than thekkady.lot of places to see.see the tea estates and enjoy the tea valleys.

don`t stay in hotels at munnar.stay in homestay type cottages nearby town or inside the tea estates as per your interest and budget. if u go to munnar,stay in kurunchi cottage located at teachers(proffesors colony)2 kms far from town.they served home type food service also.

from munnar to madurai,munnar-bodi-theni-madurai.

1 day travelling for all area.

any other information , dont hesitate to ask me.

`still i prefer something like this. train avail fr blore to "x" place, stay for 3-4 days n back. `

i cant understand your words,

suresh babu
#11 Jan 7th, 2007, 17:14
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
57
  • sebin is offline
#11
yes suresh madurai-theni-kambam-kumuli-thekkady is the shortest. Sorry for the confusion aha!!!! ha..ha..

I thought coving munnar will be nice.

If somebody wanted to try some lonely good road there is another one
kambam-kambammet-thekkady

Yes it is long. it is not advisable for somebody wanted to just relax. it is for those who like travelling ))

Munnar ot kodai:
There was a direct road (it is about 100km) but it is not trafficable. So we have to come down teni->Vathalakundu(it is the junction to kodai and dundugal)->Kodai.

coimbatore-bangalore:
if somebody have time: drive to ooty->Gudaloor->Mysore(yes you don't have to go mysore)->Bangalore. it will be great.
#12 Jan 8th, 2007, 16:06
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
Bangalore, nitu2305@gmail.com
Posts:
43
Send a message via Yahoo to geminitu
  • geminitu is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by subabu2002 hi gemini,

for 5 days trip,it is not advisable to travel by bus.. take a cab in madurai and avoid heavy tierdness of bus travelling.so,dont go by bus.

1 day in madurai,if u reached madurai in morning,i think you dont need to stay in madurai.

1 day in thekkady,

2 days in munnar.munnar far better than thekkady.lot of places to see.see the tea estates and enjoy the tea valleys.

don`t stay in hotels at munnar.stay in homestay type cottages nearby town or inside the tea estates as per your interest and budget. if u go to munnar,stay in kurunchi cottage located at teachers(proffesors colony)2 kms far from town.they served home type food service also.

from munnar to madurai,munnar-bodi-theni-madurai.

1 day travelling for all area.

any other information , dont hesitate to ask me.

`still i prefer something like this. train avail fr blore to "x" place, stay for 3-4 days n back. `

i cant understand your words,

suresh babu
Hi Suresh,
Thank u so much of information. when i mean "X"place any place near from bangalore to ....... my idea is 5 days trip but not necessary madurai - thek - munnar,,, any other place apart from that, which suits for family (no chennai)

Nitu
#13 Jan 8th, 2007, 16:44
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
57
  • sebin is offline
#13
if you wanted to know some 'X' place around bangalore.
1)Humpi-Badami-Aihole-pattadakl-Dandeli-Karwar-Jog falls-Shimoga-chikmagalur(yes you don't have to run all the time you can cut short the route, if you want any help for that let me know ha ha..)

2)Mysore-Wayanad?

3)Tirchy-Thanjavur-Rameswaram(extended to madurai or kanniyakumari)
#14 Jan 8th, 2007, 17:04
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
Bangalore, nitu2305@gmail.com
Posts:
43
Send a message via Yahoo to geminitu
  • geminitu is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebin if you wanted to know some 'X' place around bangalore.
1)Humpi-Badami-Aihole-pattadakl-Dandeli-Karwar-Jog falls-Shimoga-chikmagalur(yes you don't have to run all the time you can cut short the route, if you want any help for that let me know ha ha..)

2)Mysore-Wayanad?

3)Tirchy-Thanjavur-Rameswaram(extended to madurai or kanniyakumari)
Hi Sebin,

tks. no 1. - some of the places already visited
no. 2 -mysore covred many times, 5 days @wayanad.. wil be boring
no 3 - seems ok, but do we hv train points ??? to cover 3 places (blore to trichy train avail, further ) ????? not keen to travel in bus, temp, auto.. he he he

nitu
#15 Jan 8th, 2007, 17:15
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
57
  • sebin is offline
#15
you can wayanad to ooty(it is only one day ride)


Thanjavur, Rameswaram,kanniyakumari are connected in train. trichy-tanjavur is about 50 km so i feel you can get a cab. and come back to trichy to get a train to rameswaram.

From rameswaram you have to come back to Manamadurai(you confirm it with somebody else ha ha..) to get a train to kanniyakumari.

Rameswaram-kanniyakumari road was not good (for about 50-60km) when i travelled about 1.5 years back. i don't know how it is now.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
What is there to do in Thekkady Jan 6th, 2009 12:31 11 6395 Kerala
Periyar or Kumilly (Kumily) or Thekkady hotel help? Jan 27th, 2007 07:10 11 2867 Kerala
Around Thekkady / western ghats Apr 5th, 2006 16:22 5 1295 Lodging and Hotels in India
Madurai Jan 16th, 2005 16:52 4 2022 Tamil Nadu
How do you get from Cochin to Thekkady? Aug 20th, 2004 17:41 2 17756 Indian Railways


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success