First time in Delhi, input on plan to get to Jaipur

#1 Oct 26th, 2010, 02:17
Join Date:
Feb 2010
Location:
USA
Posts:
45
  • festival is offline
#1
Hello, I'm landing in Delhi 1:30am Tues. Nov. 2 and need to go directly to Jaipur. I plan on taking the 2015 Ajmer Shatabdi leaving New Delhi Railway Station at 6:05am. I plan on taking a prepaid taxi to the Railway station.

It will be my first time in Delhi and just want to make sure this sounds good. Also. is the prepaid taxi the most advisable means of transport to the railway station in the middle of the night, and is this the kind of train ticket that I should worry about pre-booking.

Also, any advice on where I should ask to be let off and what ticket window to go to. I assume it's a large station.

Thanks,
Brett
Last edited by festival; Oct 26th, 2010 at 05:32..
#2 Oct 26th, 2010, 03:11
Join Date:
Feb 2010
Location:
New Delhi, India
Posts:
347
  • khargosh_hamster is offline
#2
Hey Brett,

Taking a pre-paid taxi from the airport to the railway station is your best bet especially at that time of the night. It shall take you approximately 30 mins to reach the station. According to me, the station has 2 entrances, namely, Ajmeri Gate side and Paharganj Side. I think taking thePaharganj side will be more viable. When you enter, the ticket booking counter is right in front of the main building. Now I heard there was some renovation going on at the station couple of months back so maybe things have changed. I'm sure someone from IM will soon post their valuable advices.

Cheers!
#3 Oct 26th, 2010, 14:05
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
Jaipur
Posts:
327
  • deky is offline
#3
If you pre book your tickets you can also get on the train at the Delhi Cantt station.

The Delhi-Ajmer Shatabdi also stops at Delhi Cantt station for 2 minutes. This station is much closer to the Airport and will save you time and money.

The other alternative to reach Jaipur is by luxury buses. RSRTC runs super luxury coaches between Delhi and Jaipur. You could reach Bikaner House, located at India Gate early in the morning, get your tickets from the window and board the bus( can also be booked online)

The first luxury bus starts at 0600hrs and then there is one after every hour.

Regards
#4 Oct 28th, 2010, 04:22
Join Date:
Oct 2010
Location:
GGN, NDLS, ALD
Posts:
153
  • indiagenie is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by festival View Post Hello, I'm landing in Delhi 1:30am Tues. Nov. 2 and need to go directly to Jaipur. I plan on taking the 2015 Ajmer Shatabdi leaving New Delhi Railway Station at 6:05am. I plan on taking a prepaid taxi to the Railway station.

It will be my first time in Delhi and just want to make sure this sounds good. Also. is the prepaid taxi the most advisable means of transport to the railway station in the middle of the night, and is this the kind of train ticket that I should worry about pre-booking.

Also, any advice on where I should ask to be let off and what ticket window to go to. I assume it's a large station.

Thanks,
Brett
This plan is absolutely fine and should work without any hitch, particularly with the new stricter management of the prepaid taxi system at the international airport. Ask to go to the New Delhi railway station (not Delhi or Nizamuddin or Sarai Rohilla). The taxi will drop you off in front of the entrance lobby (probably Ajmeri Gate side) where you can see a huge LED board specifying which platform your train will depart from. Once the same is checked, please follow signs in the lobby to go up the stairs and reach your platform.

Please note that there may be some time between your reaching the station and the platform being declared on the board as you might reach early. If the same happens, you can either walk up to the Enquiries counter and ask this question or just hail a passing porter (easily identified wearing Red 'kurtas' with a license badge tied to their arm and ask them, they seem to know it all!).

Once on the platform, you should see signs along the roof edge with coach numbers. Just walk up to the coach noted on your ticket. If the same is not noted, ask a TTE on the platform (wearing a black coat and white trousers usually and carrying sheets of Dot Matrix printed papers) or look for the reservation charts pasted on a board on the platform. You should find your name in the list for your coach (each coach has its own sheet)

If you happen to reach the platform just in time for the train to start moving off, hop into any coach and then ask your way to your coach/seat. The entire train is connected through the vestibules. People will be more than happy to help you reach your seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khargosh_hamster View Post Hey Brett,

Taking a pre-paid taxi from the airport to the railway station is your best bet especially at that time of the night. It shall take you approximately 30 mins to reach the station. According to me, the station has 2 entrances, namely, Ajmeri Gate side and Paharganj Side. I think taking thePaharganj side will be more viable. When you enter, the ticket booking counter is right in front of the main building. Now I heard there was some renovation going on at the station couple of months back so maybe things have changed. I'm sure someone from IM will soon post their valuable advices.

Cheers!
As things stand today, Ajmeri Gate side entrance is so much more simpler and less chaotic than the Paharganj side. The taxi driver is also more likely to go direct to Ajmeri Gate (simpler approach from CP). The Paharganj side is much more of a tout-infested area. It does not make much of a difference in terms of being able to get to your train though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post If you pre book your tickets you can also get on the train at the Delhi Cantt station.

The Delhi-Ajmer Shatabdi also stops at Delhi Cantt station for 2 minutes. This station is much closer to the Airport and will save you time and money.

The other alternative to reach Jaipur is by luxury buses. RSRTC runs super luxury coaches between Delhi and Jaipur. You could reach Bikaner House, located at India Gate early in the morning, get your tickets from the window and board the bus( can also be booked online)

The first luxury bus starts at 0600hrs and then there is one after every hour.

Regards
If you don't have a ticket for the Shatabdi, the buses are a good option from Bikaner House. They are safe, comfortable and nobody is going to fleece you as they are run by the state government.

If you already have a ticket, I would advise against the Delhi Cantt option simply because it is your first time in Delhi and the time window of 2 minutes may be too short for you. However, if you are late in getting out of the airport, this might be considered.

If you have less than 1 hour time available between your taxi pushing off and the train starting from New Delhi, then you should take this route. Otherwise straight to New Delhi is safer and simpler. Its a bigger station and help is readily available. You will also get some good stuff to eat here for breakfast which is probably not going to be the case at Delhi Cantt.

Just FYI, You will get breakfast on the train, included in the price of the ticket.
#5 Oct 28th, 2010, 09:39
Join Date:
Feb 2010
Location:
USA
Posts:
45
  • festival is offline
#5
Thanks everyone and thanks India Genie for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it.
#6 Nov 1st, 2010, 02:31
Join Date:
Oct 2010
Location:
GGN, NDLS, ALD
Posts:
153
  • indiagenie is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by festival View Post Thanks everyone and thanks India Genie for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it.
We aim to please You are most welcome to the response and to India pal !

iG

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Drive time Jaipur to Delhi Dec 20th, 2012 10:06 8 11607 Buses, Automobiles, Motorcycles, and Bicycles
First time advice Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Delhi Sep 23rd, 2010 19:18 6 895 India Travel Itinerary Advice
plan trip for ajmer-jaipur -delhi - agra - haridwar, badrietc Jul 9th, 2010 12:15 5 2469 Jaipur


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success