Ichchadhari Nag - Or Wishing Snake

#1 Jun 21st, 2005, 14:30
Join Date:
Apr 2004
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
1,509
  • lonelyaztec is offline
#1
In India, the Cobra is the most poisonous snake, and it is prayed by Hindus as Naga Devata.

The Cobra is associated with Durga Maa or the consort of Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva also wear a cobra around his neak and one on his head, around his hair.

Lord Vishnu also sleeps on a snake.

So, the cobra is deep routed in Indian religion and mythology.

My question is about the Ichchadari snake - or the snake that can change its form as and when it wants.

I understand from HIndi films and other regional language films, that if a Cobra becomes over 1000 years old..or may be more...it gets a special power..it can transform itself to any form it wants.

Has anyone seen a Ichchadari snake - anywhere in India and in the world ?

Is there any proof that such snakes exist ?
Aztec

My photoblog
#2 Jun 21st, 2005, 15:17
Join Date:
Oct 2003
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
1,505
  • Bigzero is offline
#2
i dont think so, and i hope not! let it remain within the bollywood scriptwriter's imagination

OK, there are a number of Ichhadari IM users, if you know what i mean....
miles to go....

Bigzero's Photo Gallery
#3 Jun 21st, 2005, 16:03
Join Date:
Jun 2004
Location:
kolkata
Posts:
803
  • ddutta is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero OK, there are a number of Ichhadari IM users, if you know what i mean....


well said Big 0
"If you smile at me I will understand, because that is something everyone everywhere does in the same language"
#4 Jun 21st, 2005, 16:28
Join Date:
Apr 2005
Location:
BANGALORE
Posts:
23
  • ADVENTUROUS26 is offline
#4

Wink

I would defy like one Ichchadari snake for myself

There are 2 kinds of light, the glow that illuminates and the glare that obscures...
#5 Jun 21st, 2005, 18:06
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Delhi
Posts:
1,232
Send a message via Yahoo to phantom
  • phantom is offline
#5
I can add one more question to this.. Is there something like "Wishing Snake" (The snake which can take any shape or form depending on his will) in western mythology ???
#6 Jun 21st, 2005, 18:10
Join Date:
Apr 2004
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
1,509
  • lonelyaztec is offline
#6
People.

I am told the Ichchadari Nag or snake has a Mani on his hood ie Diamond / Gem.

Many people, in indian movies has been on quest of the Ichchadari nag to procure the mani / gem.

Some people, i have seen, wear the mani on a ring. The stone is black.
#7 Jun 21st, 2005, 20:47
Join Date:
Jul 2003
Location:
Nashik, INDIA
Posts:
4,096
  • SHIMLA is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyaztec People.

I am told the Ichchadari Nag or snake has a Mani on his hood ie Diamond / Gem.

Many people, in indian movies has been on quest of the Ichchadari nag to procure the mani / gem.

Some people, i have seen, wear the mani on a ring. The stone is black.
Ichchadhari ? I think its all BS ! How can a snake have a diamond on its hood ?

Agree with Bigzero; lets leave it to Bollywood scriptwriters !
Whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't know where to shop !
#8 Jun 21st, 2005, 21:12
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Canada
Posts:
1,302
  • abracax is offline
#8
I saw one in Shangri-la eating a unicorn.
New home for my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/abracax/
#9 Jul 24th, 2005, 23:50
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
desi in USA
Posts:
45
  • adiyar is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyaztec In India, the Cobra is the most poisonous snake, and it is prayed by Hindus as Naga Devata.

The Cobra is associated with Durga Maa or the consort of Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva also wear a cobra around his neak and one on his head, around his hair.

Lord Vishnu also sleeps on a snake.

So, the cobra is deep routed in Indian religion and mythology.

My question is about the Ichchadari snake - or the snake that can change its form as and when it wants.

I understand from HIndi films and other regional language films, that if a Cobra becomes over 1000 years old..or may be more...it gets a special power..it can transform itself to any form it wants.

Has anyone seen a Ichchadari snake - anywhere in India and in the world ?

Is there any proof that such snakes exist ?
would like to post something despite the thread being old. am new to the forum and really enjoyed reading some of the threads. here is my 2 cents!!

These snakes are part of the folklore of india like the phoenix and the dragons are elsewhere. i am wondering if this qn isn't pulling the leg of somebody?

anyway here goes..

If a cobra has not used its venom in its entire lifetime, the venom supposedly turns into a stone - naaga rathinam. By this stage the snake would be in its old age. It spits the stone out and hunts by its light. ( snakes do not depend on their eyes much in the real world)

the ichhadhaari snake is unrelated to the stone, it's just(!!) a cobra which can take any form it wants.

of course an ichadaari snake could form a stone too if it has led a pious life

I have not heard of a single case where this has been proved or a case of such an existing stone. However, there have been lot of scams going on with respect to this.
#10 Jul 26th, 2005, 08:32
Join Date:
Sep 2004
Location:
nasik, maharastra
Posts:
1,261
  • sadhuji is offline
#10

Thumbs up welcome to dreamland

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiyar ....If a cobra has not used its venom in its entire lifetime, the venom supposedly turns into a stone - naaga rathinam. By this stage the snake would be in its old age. It spits the stone out and hunts by its light. ( snakes do not depend on their eyes much in the real world).....
a plausible explanation.

obviously, there are a lot of ifs and buts involved. the fact remains - the cobra must have been one who survives on greens for 1000 years to be crowned 'the ichhadhari nag'.

welcome to our dreamland adiyar.
mooning over a moon journey

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
SNAKE WORSHIP - What's your take? Nov 9th, 2012 21:11 34 6085 Spirituality and Religion in India
Wishing you all friends Oct 29th, 2005 14:28 0 842 Chai and Chat
Wishing you A Happy Married Life - Mike and Passingby :) Jun 6th, 2005 05:34 84 25535 Chai and Chat
snake charmers Dec 11th, 2004 18:49 5 1752 Chai and Chat
Wishing your days away!!!! Jun 28th, 2003 20:30 20 1372 Chai and Chat


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success