Trip to Pabbar Valley

Reply
#16 Mar 20th, 2016, 13:01
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Bengaluru
Posts:
557
  • writersblock is offline
#16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinta Alam View Post BTW: Any info about a back-road but do-able route between that area and Sarahan? The map I pore over is rather out of date (though much-used, a link supplied by Dilliwala some years back)
Buses operate from Rohru to Rampur via Sungri. Yes Sungri has a nicely located guest house. I remember asking the chowkidar if accommodation was available. He replied that it had to be booked elsewhere ( probably Rohru). From Rampur there are buses on the "back route" (via Kothi) to Sarahan. I have driven on that road. Very very scenic!
#17 Mar 20th, 2016, 13:09
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Bengaluru
Posts:
557
  • writersblock is offline
#17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinta Alam View Post Thanks for the reply with extra useful input.
As far as a car is concerned did you not mention somewhere that because of the absence of petrol pumps in the area taxis will charge a steep 30 rs x km on that route? Maybe I saw that elsewhere..... Given that you know the kilometres can you give me an idea of the cost of a car from Rohru? And hours driving for there and back (presuming the road is in good condition in June).......
A couple of years back when I was there, I think the rate for a car to the to of the Chanshal pass and back was Rs 2500. I did not really negotiate as I planned to travel by bus. The rate to go to Dodra/Kwar and back I guess should be Rs 5000 or so. The bus took 6-7 hrs from Sandasa to Kwar with long halts for lunch ( at Larot), temple stop ( at Chanshal) and tea ( at Dodra). A taxi should take you there in 4-5 hrs.
#18 Mar 22nd, 2016, 04:01
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
Canary Islands
Posts:
279
  • Cinta Alam is offline
#18
Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock View Post Buses operate from Rohru to Rampur via Sungri...,,....From Rampur there are buses on the "back route" (via Kothi) to Sarahan. I have driven on that road. Very very scenic!
That sounds great Writersblock. I found a map with the very roundabout road between Rampur and Sarahan. How long did it take to do? I'd do it by taxi rather than bus I think.
Can you tell me where to find a map with the Sungri to Rampur road on it? Or were you referring to the road that goes back to Narkanda and then on to Rampur along the main highway?
#19 Mar 22nd, 2016, 04:18
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
Canary Islands
Posts:
279
  • Cinta Alam is offline
#19
Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock View Post ........ A taxi should take you there in 4-5 hrs.
Now, that means a Very Long Day return (apart from the expense). In your opinion was the trip worth the while? Your photos, and account, made it seem so, but after weighing the hours of bouncing around on horrendous roads for just an hour or so at destination, what do you think?

Some journeys and spots discovered on route are so special they will shine as gems in your memory forever. I'm sure you know what I mean.
#20 Mar 22nd, 2016, 10:25
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Bengaluru
Posts:
557
  • writersblock is offline
#20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinta Alam View Post That sounds great Writersblock. I found a map with the very roundabout road between Rampur and Sarahan. How long did it take to do? I'd do it by taxi rather than bus I think.
Can you tell me where to find a map with the Sungri to Rampur road on it? Or were you referring to the road that goes back to Narkanda and then on to Rampur along the main highway?
Rampur-Sarahan took perhaps 3 hours. It was many years back. I have described this journey in the last part of this http://kkasturi1.blogspot.in/2010/11...ibet-road.html blog post.

Rohru Rampur road via Sungri is visible on google map of Himachal. This is not via Narkanda.
#21 Mar 22nd, 2016, 10:40
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Bengaluru
Posts:
557
  • writersblock is offline
#21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinta Alam View Post Now, that means a Very Long Day return (apart from the expense). In your opinion was the trip worth the while? Your photos, and account, made it seem so, but after weighing the hours of bouncing around on horrendous roads for just an hour or so at destination, what do you think?

Some journeys and spots discovered on route are so special they will shine as gems in your memory forever. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Ideally, you should stay overnight in Kwar or Dodra. There is a lodge in Kwar and a dhaba in Dodra where you can sleep if you are prepared to rough it out. Otherwise, best option is a taxi to Chanshal pass and back. This ride will be worth the time and expense.
Incidentally, if you are up to some trekking, the walk along the Pabbar beyond the last village , Janglik, leads to some beautiful places like the one below. This meadow is called Dayara and it is possible to be back in Janglik by late afternoon after walking to this place.
Attached Images
Spiti-Igatpuri 2000001.jpg 
#22 Mar 23rd, 2016, 00:25
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
Canary Islands
Posts:
279
  • Cinta Alam is offline
#22
Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock View Post Incidentally, if you are up to some trekking, the walk along the Pabbar beyond the last village , Janglik, leads to some beautiful places like the one below. This meadow is called Dayara and it is possible to be back in Janglik by late afternoon after walking to this place.
Yes sir! That's the kind of spot I dream of! And although Google map doesn't hold the same attraction for me as the crinkled paper variety spread out on my table, it is up to date at least and I found your Dayara Thach far, far away at the end of the inhabited world so to speak. Your photo is amazing! But please tell me time and difficulty- wise of how to reach there. Hiking I love but are we talking about 8 hours there and back from the road end? Or a climb of 1000 mt or more? And would it be feasible to reach that road end from Sandasu or wherever one stays, and do that as a day hike or must one really trek and camp? If so, are there local people organising treks in that area? Contacts? Janglik I'm sure will not have a home stay......
Sorry to be a pain....but I like to know what I'm facing up ahead.
Have you got a blog of that trip to Dayara,BTW?
Last edited by Cinta Alam; Mar 23rd, 2016 at 04:16..
#23 Mar 23rd, 2016, 12:38
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Bengaluru
Posts:
557
  • writersblock is offline
#23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinta Alam View Post Yes sir! That's the kind of spot I dream of! And although Google map doesn't hold the same attraction for me as the crinkled paper variety spread out on my table, it is up to date at least and I found your Dayara Thach far, far away at the end of the inhabited world so to speak. Your photo is amazing! But please tell me time and difficulty- wise of how to reach there. Hiking I love but are we talking about 8 hours there and back from the road end? Or a climb of 1000 mt or more? And would it be feasible to reach that road end from Sandasu or wherever one stays, and do that as a day hike or must one really trek and camp? If so, are there local people organising treks in that area? Contacts? Janglik I'm sure will not have a home stay......
Sorry to be a pain....but I like to know what I'm facing up ahead.
Have you got a blog of that trip to Dayara,BTW?
I have a blog post .... http://kkasturi1.blogspot.in/2015/06...ndranahan.html...that describes my trek via Dayara Thach.

You would need a day of preparation to do this trek.
Day 1 - take the morning bus to Tangnu ( village before Janglik). From there walk to Janglik and ask around and fix a guide who can take you to Dayara the next day. Alternatively, see if Maharaj (the cook) at Sansdsu Guest House can organize a guide for you.

Day 2- Take a cab to drop you early morning at Janglik at the meeting place. Arrange that the cab picks you up in the evening same place.
You should be able to get to Dayara, rest a bit and return by evening. This area is not too geared for tourists. There is one family of trekking guides in Janglik - you will find them if you ask around. Since it is a village of shepherds, almost anyone can take you to Dayara. Hope this helps.
#24 Mar 23rd, 2016, 19:36
Join Date:
Jul 2015
Location:
Shimla, HP, India
Posts:
174
  • LOWKEY_ is offline
#24
if you are arriving from Shimla side to rohru, avoid coming via theog-chailla-kotkhai-kharapthar-jubbal. this road is in very bad condition from kotkhai onwards.
go theog-narkanda-baghi-tikkar-rohru. though its a single lane but still in better condition than main road mentioned above.
#25 Mar 25th, 2016, 16:48
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
Canary Islands
Posts:
279
  • Cinta Alam is offline
#25
Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock View Post I have a blog post .... http://kkasturi1.blogspot.in/2015/06...ndranahan.html...that describes my trek via Dayara Thach.

You would need a day of preparation to do this trek.
Day 1 - take the morning bus to Tangnu ( village before Janglik). From there walk to Janglik and ask around and fix a guide who can take you to Dayara the next day. Alternatively, see if Maharaj (the cook) at Sansdsu Guest House can organize a guide for you.

Day 2- Take a cab to drop you early morning at Janglik at the meeting place. Arrange that the cab picks you up in the evening same place.
You should be able to get to Dayara, rest a bit and return by evening. This area is not too geared for tourists. There is one family of trekking guides in Janglik - you will find them if you ask around. Since it is a village of shepherds, almost anyone can take you to Dayara. Hope this helps.
Great blog account Writersblock!
And thanks SO very much for all these details. Im definitely going to try to do this with a friend. I would prefer the option of camping for a night there as the early morning/late afternoon is so enjoyable ( if the weather permits). For that we need tent+porter. Maybe we can sort something on that. If we take a tent+sleeping bags we can find the rest in Janglik or through Maharaj.
#26 Mar 25th, 2016, 16:52
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
Canary Islands
Posts:
279
  • Cinta Alam is offline
#26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWKEY_ View Post if you are arriving from Shimla side to rohru, avoid coming via theog-chailla-kotkhai-kharapthar-jubbal. this road is in very bad condition from kotkhai onwards.
go theog-narkanda-baghi-tikkar-rohru. though its a single lane but still in better condition than main road mentioned above.
Thanks for the tip Lowkey. I had seen somewhere on the forum info about the bad state of the kharapthar road. Will take the other you mention, or may even come via Tiuni as might be in Uttarakhand beforehand.
#27 Apr 8th, 2016, 17:08
Join Date:
Jul 2015
Location:
Shimla, HP, India
Posts:
174
  • LOWKEY_ is offline
#27
tiuni road has been redone recently. though its one way but still better then kharapthar one!
#28 Apr 8th, 2016, 19:28
Join Date:
Nov 2014
Location:
The Himalayas
Posts:
83
  • pageplant is offline
#28
You can complete Rohru to Chanshal and back in a day but that would be so hectic. You should camp there for a night. Visit Kupper near Kharapathar. It offers beautiful views of the valley.
#29 Apr 9th, 2016, 03:21
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
Canary Islands
Posts:
279
  • Cinta Alam is offline
#29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWKEY_ View Post tiuni road has been redone recently. though its one way but still better then kharapthar one!
Good news.....a few potholes less may make up for the road to Chansal.
#30 Apr 9th, 2016, 03:26
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
Canary Islands
Posts:
279
  • Cinta Alam is offline
#30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageplant View Post You can complete Rohru to Chanshal and back in a day but that would be so hectic. You should camp there for a night.

The more I research and hear from the forum the more I realise I need to spend longer time on this region.



Visit Kupper near Kharapathar. It offers beautiful views of the valley.
Anywhere to stay around there? Or are you just suggesting a detour excursion to Kupper?
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
My trip to Spiti valley Mar 17th, 2012 19:29 18 5639 Himachal Pradesh
Valley of flowers trip ! Oct 7th, 2011 14:18 88 18013 Uttarakhand
trip to sangla valley May 10th, 2011 15:39 4 1791 India Travel Itinerary Advice
Spiti Valley motorbike trip May 28th, 2010 09:25 1 1379 India Travel Partners
Pabbar valley to Sangla Sep 5th, 2006 17:25 8 3458 Himachal Pradesh


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2017
Page Load Success