Recent reviews where to stay in Shimla

#16 May 1st, 2017, 14:57
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
345
  • salima is online now
#16
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclelach View Post There is useful information about the several cemeteries online. A few google searches is enough. Just now I read that the Shimla municipal office has a death register. You might find general information in the State Museum which I found worth a visit.

A taxi should be able to take you to say Sanjauli cemetery which is easily found on Google Maps. The older cemeteries might need some preparation. There are bookshops in the Mall which sell visitor guide booklets. These could help. I doubt that any cemetery is gated. For security, it could be worth engaging a guide. I have found that taxi drivers prefer to stay with their car.
i've been googling (actual i bing instead) and saving lots of pages, all i have to do now is record the proper names of the locations i need to go and then see where they are in relation to each other. i was thinking the cemeteries would be rather small-like you could see from one side to the other easily, not like in america where you would have to drive through their whole area.

shimla municipal office is where the shimla walks person said he would have to go to try and trace anyone but i had to send him their names, dob and dod which i have for amelia horn but no one else. but if i will be allowed to cruise through the records something may jump out at me that wouldnt catch anyone else's eye.

i didnt think about it, but a taxi driver would have to be paid for waiting for me too and i dont know how long i might be rummaging around in each place. it may make more sense to have a guide come with me and let the taxi driver go about his business and the guide can help me find a taxi to the next destination.
#17 May 1st, 2017, 18:13
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
दिल्ली
Posts:
11,673
  • Dilliwala is offline
#17
So all of the Mall Road and surrounding areas are restricted for vehicular traffic (except for VIPs, that is ). Both YMCA and YWCA are in this area.
There seems to be another YWCA on Circular Road, near Lakkar Bazar. This one is certainly approachable by vehicle. I don't know if it's only an office/centre or there's accom there too.

As for cemeteries - Sanjauli and Kanlog are outside the restricted zone so you can drive there.
I know where Sanjauli is and looking for the cemetery on Google Maps it shows a road leading right upto it. In fact it's even called the Sanjauli Cemetery Road, so any local driver should find it.
I had to search for Kanlog. I could locate the cemetery, in the middle of a thick forest with no road nearby. That is, the nearest road is approx 500 m away. However shimlawalks says the Bypass road runs right through the cemetery!
Anyway, this is close to Tutikandi, where the bus station is.

Taxis can also be hired for half a day (4 hours, 40 km) or a full day (8 hours, 80 km). This includes waiting of course. If you think you can manage in 4 hours, ask around for rates and see if that suits you.
Please note, I'm mentioning standard times/distances for taxi hire as they are around Delhi. Do confirm the little details with any local taxi driver you speak to.
#18 May 1st, 2017, 22:05
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
345
  • salima is online now
#18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilliwala View Post So all of the Mall Road and surrounding areas are restricted for vehicular traffic (except for VIPs, that is ). Both YMCA and YWCA are in this area.
There seems to be another YWCA on Circular Road, near Lakkar Bazar. This one is certainly approachable by vehicle. I don't know if it's only an office/centre or there's accom there too.

As for cemeteries - Sanjauli and Kanlog are outside the restricted zone so you can drive there.
I know where Sanjauli is and looking for the cemetery on Google Maps it shows a road leading right upto it. In fact it's even called the Sanjauli Cemetery Road, so any local driver should find it.
I had to search for Kanlog. I could locate the cemetery, in the middle of a thick forest with no road nearby. That is, the nearest road is approx 500 m away. However shimlawalks says the Bypass road runs right through the cemetery!
Anyway, this is close to Tutikandi, where the bus station is.

Taxis can also be hired for half a day (4 hours, 40 km) or a full day (8 hours, 80 km). This includes waiting of course. If you think you can manage in 4 hours, ask around for rates and see if that suits you.
Please note, I'm mentioning standard times/distances for taxi hire as they are around Delhi. Do confirm the little details with any local taxi driver you speak to.
you used googlemaps to find this? that isnt the live thing, is it? there was a map program that always made my computer crash-but i forgot which computer. i need to see a map that shows the mall, the ridge, the bypass road, lakkar bazar, tara hall, circular road, oakover, portmore, and get an idea of how far apart they are. i am going to see what i can find and check back on im later...

now it is later...
well i have a collection of little maps that show me some of the places mentioned but each map has some of them and not the others, so i will probably have to add the missing ones to one of the most complete and see if i am missing anything else. but i dont have any idea of distances.

i have a lot to think about. shimla itself is 13.64 sq mi but are all these places we have talked about within the city? ratlam is about 20 sq mi and i can walk from one end to the other. of course it isnt feasible when there is so little time. maybe i will see what shimlawalks can offer me after i learn a bit more.
Last edited by salima; May 2nd, 2017 at 00:14.. Reason: after surfing
#19 May 2nd, 2017, 00:47
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
दिल्ली
Posts:
11,673
  • Dilliwala is offline
#19
I forgot to add - you can also drive to Loreto Convent.
#20 May 2nd, 2017, 17:05
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
345
  • salima is online now
#20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilliwala View Post I forgot to add - you can also drive to Loreto Convent.
aahhhhh....but can i walk there?

i think the walking tours last about twenty minutes- i am a three hour walker, but maybe there would be three hours walking to do once i get there. driving in between and into places would be good, in fact may be necessary.

i also need to figure out what time to arrive and leave, according to the options of the bus, so as to make the maximum use of my time.

i just went over my budget today, and if i only had to spend 6000 rs that would be good. but i could manage 10000 if i had to. and if i had to, i would rather spend the money on taxis than a room-the bathroom was always the most important thing to me in a hotel but even now it hardly matters since i would be there only two nights. but i have to be careful that doesnt turn out to be two nights and three days. i want to keep the upper limit on the hotel at 4000 rs, and hope for 3000 or even less.

back to my maps and bus schedules! sounds like a plan is developing...
Last edited by salima; May 2nd, 2017 at 17:07.. Reason: syntax
#21 May 3rd, 2017, 01:11
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
दिल्ली
Posts:
11,673
  • Dilliwala is offline
#21
I don't know if you can walk everywhere. Ratlam's a lot flatter than Shimla.

Give the Ys a call to check on room rates.

Check the HRTC website for bus timings. Chandigarh-Shimla and v.v. is approx 3 hours.


P.S. I see there's a daily train from Ratlam to Chandigarh and Kalka, the Paschim Express. It arrives at CDG at 4 pm. You would then have to transfer to the bus station some km away by local bus or taxi. The same train arrives at Kalka at 4.45 pm. It'll be easier to catch a bus from here, but as you can see the arrival time is not ideal for further travel to Shimla. There's also no guarantee that the train will arrive on time, considering the long route from Mumbai. A taxi to Shimla would then be the best option but would cost a few thousand, don't know if you want to do that. If you do decide to take this train, you really need to have accom booked in advance.
Other than that, there are trains to Ambala Cantt which have better arrival times. Here the bus station is also conveniently located just across the road from the RS.
#22 May 3rd, 2017, 09:07
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
345
  • salima is online now
#22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilliwala View Post I don't know if you can walk everywhere. Ratlam's a lot flatter than Shimla.

Give the Ys a call to check on room rates.

Check the HRTC website for bus timings. Chandigarh-Shimla and v.v. is approx 3 hours.


P.S. I see there's a daily train from Ratlam to Chandigarh and Kalka, the Paschim Express. It arrives at CDG at 4 pm. You would then have to transfer to the bus station some km away by local bus or taxi. The same train arrives at Kalka at 4.45 pm. It'll be easier to catch a bus from here, but as you can see the arrival time is not ideal for further travel to Shimla. There's also no guarantee that the train will arrive on time, considering the long route from Mumbai. A taxi to Shimla would then be the best option but would cost a few thousand, don't know if you want to do that. If you do decide to take this train, you really need to have accom booked in advance.
Other than that, there are trains to Ambala Cantt which have better arrival times. Here the bus station is also conveniently located just across the road from the RS.
yes, i do have a problem trying to walk uphill in ratlam, and i notice the least incline. and one more thing is the altitude-i will soon learn exactly how bad my lung capacity is. i should hope i can breathe ok if i am sitting still!

the thing is i will already be in chandigarh from may 24th, which is why i chose this time to go. from looking at bus schedules from chandigarh, i also felt that the timings were kind of odd. it seems as if whatever i do i will have a hard time trying to use all of the two 24 hour periods i had hoped to spend there. then again, i may be too excited to sleep anyway while i am there.

the other thing is, soon after i arrive in chandigarh i am going with my friends by car to their village in himachal, which i didnt get to see the last time. it is in mandi, farther north by about four hours than shimla by car, and it would make sense to drop me off there on the way back to chandigarh if not out of their way and then i would only have to deal with the timings of one bus. that is assuming they will be coming back before i have to return to ratlam, early in july.

it didnt occur to me until just now to think about the option of going by bus from mandi to shimla, that may also be a possibility. i noticed the buses running from shimla to chandigarh can take four or five hours-but that leg of the journey has no time constraints, so it doesnt complicate things.

i did send an email to the shimlawalks fellow and ask for a quote of what i want to see, since he is also strictly involved in the process of tracing ancestry and will know how to do what i am looking for.
Last edited by salima; May 3rd, 2017 at 09:09.. Reason: clarification
#23 May 3rd, 2017, 16:54
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
दिल्ली
Posts:
11,673
  • Dilliwala is offline
#23
There are many buses not listed on the website - ordinary, deluxe, originating, transiting - so don't worry about timings.

It would have helped if you'd given more details about your exact route/s earlier. I could have avoided last night's research at least.
Anyway, presuming you return with your friends - without them needing to go off-route, you can travel with them upto Ghagas. Shimla is approx 85 km from here, and there's plenty of transport. Mostly ordinary buses though.
If you want to travel in more comfort, then Mandi city it is for a deluxe bus. Find out from your friends exactly where their village is though, i.e. nearest small town with a bus service/route. Mandi the district is obviously bigger than the city, and it may not be necessary to go to the city for a bus (ask them if they have to drive through to get to/from their village).
#24 May 3rd, 2017, 21:32
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
345
  • salima is online now
#24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilliwala View Post There are many buses not listed on the website - ordinary, deluxe, originating, transiting - so don't worry about timings.

It would have helped if you'd given more details about your exact route/s earlier. I could have avoided last night's research at least.
Anyway, presuming you return with your friends - without them needing to go off-route, you can travel with them upto Ghagas. Shimla is approx 85 km from here, and there's plenty of transport. Mostly ordinary buses though.
If you want to travel in more comfort, then Mandi city it is for a deluxe bus. Find out from your friends exactly where their village is though, i.e. nearest small town with a bus service/route. Mandi the district is obviously bigger than the city, and it may not be necessary to go to the city for a bus (ask them if they have to drive through to get to/from their village).
sorry, it didnt even occur to me that since we would be going by car to the village they could drop me off or pick me up until i was writing that last post. but the thing is, i dont know whether they will want to also go to shimla or i will be going alone. what will be the situation is that i will be in the village before the end of may and not know for how long they will be staying there and whether or not they will want to go to shimla until they themselves know and tell me.

but i really appreciate all the help and learned a lot of things from this thread. a very big thank you to you and all the members who contributed!
Last edited by salima; May 3rd, 2017 at 21:33.. Reason: punctuation
#25 May 4th, 2017, 00:49
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
दिल्ली
Posts:
11,673
  • Dilliwala is offline
#25
That's why I said, ask them the location of their village. Alternately, they can also tell you how to get to Shimla by bus. And if you're travelling back together, you can always get off at Ghagas, which is where the two roads diverge.
#26 May 11th, 2017, 02:28
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
345
  • salima is online now
#26
well the trip is booked. i will be staying two days at dev home stay in shimla and my tour will be on the 13th of june. most likely i will be going to and from the village by the one bus that has a direct route-it is a ten hour bus ride. i had no idea it was that long. i think my mistake was that they arent in sundernagar-it is joginder nagar. if i am lucky it will be like my first ride in a bullock cart-that knocked all the knots and stiffness out of me. i will write a review and take my camera! (almost forgot that)
#27 May 11th, 2017, 17:06
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
दिल्ली
Posts:
11,673
  • Dilliwala is offline
#27
HRTC has some buses from J'nagar town to Shimla that have a 200 km route. These should take around 6 hours. There's one bus with a route of 293 km which will take around 8.5 hours. You want to avoid this one like the plague.
What's odd is that the fare displayed for both routes is the same (Rs. 296).
#28 May 12th, 2017, 21:58
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
345
  • salima is online now
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilliwala View Post HRTC has some buses from J'nagar town to Shimla that have a 200 km route. These should take around 6 hours. There's one bus with a route of 293 km which will take around 8.5 hours. You want to avoid this one like the plague.
What's odd is that the fare displayed for both routes is the same (Rs. 296).
the village is called neri in chimnu post office, and has only that one bus. they are in joginder tehsil actually. if better buses run from joginder nagar town, i wonder how far it is from the village? if there are more options, maybe my friend doesnt know that much about it since he has a car. if it isnt a four hour trip to joginder nagar town then maybe he could drive me there.

did you mean to avoid the 8.5 hour bus because of the length of the route or you know the driver is an accident waiting to happen? or the route is all on the edge of a cliff?

also i wondered if these buses are full in this season and if seats can be reserved.
#29 May 13th, 2017, 01:31
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
Canary Islands
Posts:
279
  • Cinta Alam is online now
#29
Quote:
Originally Posted by salima View Post
did you mean to avoid the 8.5 hour bus because of the length of the route or you know the driver is an accident waiting to happen? or the route is all on the edge of a cliff?
DonŽt think youŽll find many precipices but 8.5 hrs on mountain roads is not fun. Jogindernagar to Mandi fantastic, but Mandi to Shimla I remember the jolts of a backseat journey( no other empty seat) that put my back out for a few days. If you can avoid a few/lot of kilometres.......your rear end will thank you for it. Plus....think of the toilet stops , lack of them/ condition of them ( As one lady to another.....)
#30 May 13th, 2017, 02:10
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
दिल्ली
Posts:
11,673
  • Dilliwala is offline
#30
Quote:
Originally Posted by salima View Post the village is called neri in chimnu post office, and has only that one bus. they are in joginder tehsil actually. if better buses run from joginder nagar town, i wonder how far it is from the village? if there are more options, maybe my friend doesnt know that much about it since he has a car. if it isnt a four hour trip to joginder nagar town then maybe he could drive me there.
Quote:
also i wondered if these buses are full in this season and if seats can be reserved.
Ok, some fruitful research on Google Maps.

a) I found Neri village and Chimnu bus stop. Jogindarnagar town is 18 km to the north, that is in the wrong direction, so not much point going there IMO. Without knowing any better, I'll say this lone bus (to Shimla or Mandi?) originates at J'nagar and passes through Chimnu/Neri. You cannot do any advance booking, either at the bus stop or online. It's not even listed on HRTC website, so I don't know when it starts.
There are no buses listed from J'nagar to Shimla, so no online booking at all. There should be more buses though, down the main road to Mandi city and Shimla, one would have to call J'nagar bus station to find out.

b) However just 4 km south of Neri is Dharampur, from where a bus originates early morning 7 am for Shimla. If you're up to taking this and your friends can drop you to Dharampur, it's a decent option for you. This bus can be booked online. I'm guessing it should be possible to book at Dharampur bus station the day before as well. Maybe your friends could call to find out.

c) Another 12 km south, so 16 km from Neri, is Sarkaghat. Here a bus originates at 8.45 am for Shimla. Likewise this can be booked online.
(There's also a bus at 4.30 am )

d) 21 km southeast of Neri is Mandi city. From here there are a host of buses, first one at 5 am (ordinary), last one at 11 am (Tata A/c). And these are only the listed buses available for online booking, there'll be more available from the bus station.

Quote:
did you mean to avoid the 8.5 hour bus because of the length of the route or you know the driver is an accident waiting to happen? or the route is all on the edge of a cliff?
6 hours versus 8.5 hours - which one should one avoid?
How could I POSSIBLY know anything about the driver ?! Considering HRTC has hundreds of em and there'd be different ones on different days driving this route.
No precipices in this region that I'm aware of.
(CA, you beat me to answering while I was researching ).
Last edited by Dilliwala; May 14th, 2017 at 14:25.. Reason: 5 am from Mandi

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Red Army Salvation Hotel. Any recent reviews? Sep 18th, 2010 02:42 5 1270 Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviews on Hadimba Cottage in Manali and Peterhof hotel in Shimla Sep 16th, 2010 02:10 11 9558 Kullu and Manali
Reviews:stay in Vedakudeeram in Wayanad? Jun 23rd, 2010 17:22 1 1356 Kerala
Pal Haveli, Jodhpur- anyone stay there? Reviews? May 24th, 2005 02:52 0 1796 Jodhpur


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2017
Page Load Success