Planning Chandigarh-Narkanda-JaloriPass-Tirthan Valley in Mid-April'12

#1 Mar 13th, 2012, 11:31
Join Date:
Jul 2010
Location:
3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts:
22
  • flow is offline
#1
Hi everyone,

I am planning to travel from Chandigarh to Tirthan Valley via Shimla-Narkanda-Jalori Pass route.

So, some help needed:

1)Just wondering if Jalori Pass would be open by then, considering prolonged winter this year.

2)I have three days to cover this. Mid-April 2012. Want to see Hatu Peak and JauBagh(not sure pronouncing it correctly)

3)i am really keen on doing it from Narkanda- Jalori pass route rather than coming from mandi-banjar-shoja to jalori-Narkanda.
How are the road condition at Jalori Pass? would I be able to do it in Maruti Alto?

4)Plan to stay at Sai Ropa in Banjar or at rest house at Jibhi. any feedback would be great.

5)Would i be able to see snow at jalori Pass or Hatu peak? My kid would love it!!

Please chip in with your suggestions..

Thanks a heaps

Flow
#2 Mar 13th, 2012, 11:58
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Delhi
Posts:
521
  • nkothiyal is offline
#2
Jalori pass is amongst the first pass to open every year. It should be open by that Mid April; unless you receive some fresh good snow fall in early April.

You are expected to find snow at Hatu Peak; just wish strong sun doesn't melts it all before you reach there. I am just back from Hatu last weekend and couldn't make it to the peak with a 6 year old kid due to massive snow on way.
#3 Mar 13th, 2012, 12:08
Join Date:
Jul 2010
Location:
3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts:
22
  • flow is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkothiyal View Post Jalori pass is amongst the first pass to open every year. It should be open by that Mid April; unless you receive some fresh good snow fall in early April.

You are expected to find snow at Hatu Peak; just wish strong sun doesn't melts it all before you reach there. I am just back from Hatu last weekend and couldn't make it to the peak with a 6 year old kid due to massive snow on way.
Thanks a lot nkothiyal.

Hoping Jalori Pass opens by that time...

I guess i would find snow there at that time.. because i got a 5 year old who is very keen to play in snow..
#4 Mar 13th, 2012, 14:14
Join Date:
Sep 2006
Location:
Chandigarh
Posts:
999
  • Lucid is offline
#4
Road Wise, 10 km section from Khanag to Shoja is terrible (Via Jalori Pass). Make sure you get your alto ready for this endeavour.
Early April you will see snow on jalori pass if the road is open then in jibhi stay in "doli guest house". A very nice pvt arrangement made by Captain Rana, lovely knowledgeable chap of the area. Shoja is a fantastic vantage point. !!!
“What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
#5 Mar 13th, 2012, 14:22
Join Date:
Feb 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
4,094
  • snonymous is offline
#5
Quote:
i am really keen on doing it from Narkanda- Jalori pass route rather than coming from mandi-banjar-shoja to jalori-Narkanda.
How are the road condition at Jalori Pass? would I be able to do it in Maruti Alto?
We did the Narkanda Jalori stretch in mid - Apr. 2010, roads were not terrible but not brilliant either, but others will have better recent updates for you with all this years extended winter etc. My point is that when we were there, I saw not just several Maruti 800s [locals] but even a Nano [from TN!!!] on that route, so Alto should be A OK.
Travelpod / Flickr


-----------------------------------------------------
#6 Mar 13th, 2012, 14:46
Join Date:
Jul 2010
Location:
3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts:
22
  • flow is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post Road Wise, 10 km section from Khanag to Shoja is terrible (Via Jalori Pass). Make sure you get your alto ready for this endeavour.
Early April you will see snow on jalori pass if the road is open then in jibhi stay in "doli guest house". A very nice pvt arrangement made by Captain Rana, lovely knowledgeable chap of the area. Shoja is a fantastic vantage point. !!!
Thanks for your input Lucid.

Although i would ideally like to spend more time near Tirthan River after spending some time in snow(if it happens to be there when we get there) with my kid, just wondering what else is there to see like walks around jibhi / shoja etc..??
#7 Mar 13th, 2012, 14:52
Join Date:
Sep 2006
Location:
Chandigarh
Posts:
999
  • Lucid is offline
#7
Many Many walks in tirthan valley. !! I haven't done much of walking there (except Jalori pass area) although Mr Rana has a small hand made map which he gives to his guests which states all the walks one can commit to in Tirthan valley. I think it will be of your interest, In shoja i didnt find many appealing walks because jalori offers much more since being close to Shoja and higher. !! There are couple of 360° view points and also walks to waterfalls and Meadows which overlook the Great Himalayan national park from Jibhi/Banjar, Gushaini, and One more village which lies between Jibhi and shoja, forgetting the name.
#8 Mar 13th, 2012, 15:23
Join Date:
Jul 2010
Location:
3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts:
22
  • flow is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by snonymous View Post We did the Narkanda Jalori stretch in mid - Apr. 2010, roads were not terrible but not brilliant either, but others will have better recent updates for you with all this years extended winter etc. My point is that when we were there, I saw not just several Maruti 800s [locals] but even a Nano [from TN!!!] on that route, so Alto should be A OK.
Thanks Snonymous for your input.

i really like your thread ... himachal in springtime..

Best Regards
Flow
#9 Mar 13th, 2012, 15:42
Join Date:
Feb 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
4,094
  • snonymous is offline
#9
Thanks Flow.

Narkanda was the year before that thread trip.

The walk on the Jalori Ridge above the pass is one of the best Ive ever experienced and I too would love to go there again, but perhaps not this year. You can spend hours walking there even if you dont go all the way to the Seralsar Lake or the Fort on the other side of the road at the Pass. Fantastic views, glorious light mauve dwarf rhododendrons and a tremendous feeling of being on Top Of The World.

Remember that it can start drizzling every day there by around 2pm, or so the locals told us, and surely it did start - a light but freezing drizzle while we were there.

I hope the J. Pass is open when you go, do enjoy your trip Flow, and lets see your report and pics when you get back.

See this thread for Sadanand Kamaths visit to the Tirthan valley, Jalori etc last April:
http://www.indiamike.com/india/himachal-pradesh-f29/trip-report-tirthan-valley-jalori-pass-chindi-shimla-april-2011-a-t133806/
#10 Mar 16th, 2012, 01:49
Join Date:
Jan 2003
Location:
थानेधार / नारकंडा / शिमला Thanedhar / Narkanda / Shimla
Posts:
744
  • vasuki is offline
#10
Jallori may open by mid April since it also connects the area of out Seraj (Valley facing the Satluj) with district headquarters at Kullu. It is the top most priority of the govt. The last snow fall we had in the area was on Holi and I do not see any future snowfall as the weather seems to be holding up but quite cold these days.

I have been traveling on this route every year immediately after the road clears up in April. Around Jallori, last year it was quite bad especially the descent from Jallori to Shoja as there was lots of melting snow which created slush. I saw a couple of Altos who had got stuck and had to be pushed in the slush.

This year the snow have been quite heavy and the slush will be more. Try and travel in a vehicle with higher ground clearance and bigger tyres. Also you have to be quite cautious about preventing the chamber hitting the road on this stretch.

Hatu too had lots of snow this year and in case the sun comes out and the weather warms up a bit you will be able to reach the Hatu top.

There are many homestays and guest houses in Shoja-Jibhi belt which have come up lately so staying will not be an issue here.
Three goodies for Indian roads-
Good horn, Good brake, Good luck!

Himachal Travel Blog
#11 Mar 23rd, 2012, 01:07
Join Date:
Jan 2003
Location:
थानेधार / नारकंडा / शिमला Thanedhar / Narkanda / Shimla
Posts:
744
  • vasuki is offline
#11
Update on Jallori Pass:

Jallori has opened as of now. A cousin traveled today from Kullu to Kotgarh. As per him there is loads of slush between Shoja and Jallori. As he had a Scorpio, he was able to get through but had to backtrack thrice on the steep climb.
#12 Mar 23rd, 2012, 13:10
Join Date:
Jul 2010
Location:
3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts:
22
  • flow is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasuki View Post Update on Jallori Pass:

Jallori has opened as of now. A cousin traveled today from Kullu to Kotgarh. As per him there is loads of slush between Shoja and Jallori. As he had a Scorpio, he was able to get through but had to backtrack thrice on the steep climb.
Thanks for the update Vasuki...

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Trip Report – Tirthan Valley-Jalori Pass-Chindi-Shimla : April 2011 Jul 18th, 2014 15:47 30 7802 Himachal Pradesh
Can I visit Valley of Flowers on mid-April? Feb 14th, 2011 09:18 1 1735 Uttarakhand
Advice required for Tirthan Valley Trip May 9th, 2010 00:10 1 2323 Himachal Pradesh
Tirthan Valley Jan 12th, 2010 19:12 8 1633 Himachal Pradesh
need help abt tirthan valley May 13th, 2008 13:25 1 1710 Himachal Pradesh


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success