Renting a motorcycle in Goa

#1 Feb 6th, 2008, 11:26
Join Date:
Apr 2005
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
94
  • RedSwordfish is offline
#1
Hi my friends,

I will be flying to Goa next Thursday and I want to rent a motorcycle (preferably an Enfield 300cc) to explore the state. Can you guys suggest a good and reliable hirer near the airport?
I will be landing at 06.00 in the morning. At what time do they usually open?

Greetings from Mumbai
#2 Feb 6th, 2008, 11:32
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
India
Posts:
6,608
  • jyotirmoy is offline
#2
I don't think there is any bike renting outfit near the airport. Your best bet would be to take a cab to Vasco which is not far from the airport.
It is fairly easy to rent bikes from many agencies near Calagute, Baga etc.
I am not sure whether you can get the model and make you have mentioned.
#3 Feb 6th, 2008, 11:46
Join Date:
Jan 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
147
  • Fan of India is offline
#3
Finding a bike hirer near the airport seems unlikely. Most of these guys are located in the towns or near the beaches - and hence you may have to come to these areas to find yourself one.

Also most shops in Goa open only after 9:00 am so finding anything at your time of arrival is difficult. Moreover I have not seen people renting Enfield bikes. Normally these are restricted to non-geared bikes or the more common ones like Pulser / Hero Honda etc.

Beware - renting a bike is illegal as per govt in Goa. The police are usually on the lookout for tourists riding such bikes and you could run into trouble since normally there is a police presence on the airport road.

Sorry to dissapoint you - but i thot you should be aware of these - to make your holiday an enjoyable one.
#4 Feb 6th, 2008, 11:48
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
India
Posts:
6,608
  • jyotirmoy is offline
#4
Yes one member from UK told me about harassment by cops and taking money.
#5 Feb 6th, 2008, 11:49
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
New Delhi, India
Posts:
7,695
  • shashank.aggarwal is offline
#5
And what about the railway station at Madgoan..can someone rent a two-wheeler somewhere near the station ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyotirmoy View Post Yes one member from UK told me about harassment by cops and taking money.
Is it illegal for foreigners (due to license issues) ? Or is it illegal for Indians with valid license as well ?
Food Enthusiasts of Delhi

Follow us on Facebook for latest Updates -> Eatlo

Travelogue - Around India
Last edited by machadinha; Feb 6th, 2008 at 12:52.. Reason: merged posts
#6 Feb 6th, 2008, 12:45
Join Date:
Jan 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
147
  • Fan of India is offline
#6
It is illegal for Indians with a valid license as well ! - surprising though.

The rationale given by the Cops is that this practise of renting bikes without a proper agreement gives rise to thefts. Hence the problem. (Most guys renting the bike will advise the tourists to stay off main roads; and to say that the bike belongs to a "friend" in case confronted by the police)

Also riding without a helmet in Goa is also susceptible to fines. So bike renters should insist on a helmet while hiring.
#7 Feb 6th, 2008, 13:01
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
New Delhi, India
Posts:
7,695
  • shashank.aggarwal is offline
#7
Cops giving a rationale to avoid their headache doesn't mean its 'illegal'...anyways thanks for letting me know will keep that in mind..
#8 Feb 6th, 2008, 13:30
Join Date:
Apr 2005
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
94
  • RedSwordfish is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of India View Post Finding a bike hirer near the airport seems unlikely. Most of these guys are located in the towns or near the beaches - and hence you may have to come to these areas to find yourself one.

Also most shops in Goa open only after 9:00 am so finding anything at your time of arrival is difficult. Moreover I have not seen people renting Enfield bikes. Normally these are restricted to non-geared bikes or the more common ones like Pulser / Hero Honda etc.

Beware - renting a bike is illegal as per govt in Goa. The police are usually on the lookout for tourists riding such bikes and you could run into trouble since normally there is a police presence on the airport road.

Sorry to dissapoint you - but i thot you should be aware of these - to make your holiday an enjoyable one.
So is it illegal to rent any bike?? Even scooters? Because everybody I know who has visited Goa had rented a bike there...
#9 Feb 6th, 2008, 13:35
Join Date:
Jan 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
147
  • Fan of India is offline
#9
Yep it is. ..and yes i know everyone does it (including me!!)

Just be careful - dodge the cops - and enjoy your ride!!
#10 Feb 6th, 2008, 14:25
Join Date:
Apr 2005
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
94
  • RedSwordfish is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of India View Post Yep it is. ..and yes i know everyone does it (including me!!)

Just be careful - dodge the cops - and enjoy your ride!!
Avoiding cops sounds easy...but sometimes it isn`t. What should I say if controlled? What is the maximum penalty for illegally renting a bike? Is bribing common? If yes, how much is appropriate?
#11 Feb 6th, 2008, 18:16
Join Date:
Jan 2008
Location:
Goa
Posts:
24
  • Roxy1 is offline
#11
It is not illegal to rent a bike in Goa. However, the bike must be registered for this purpose. Bikes that have been registered have black licence plates with yellow writing. You will have to get to the beach belt to rent one, as there are no 'hire shops' your best bet is to ask a taxi driver at a stand outside a hotel. If you really want an Enfield, make sure you get a good one, its often a case of adopting one rather than renting one.
#12 Feb 6th, 2008, 18:39
Join Date:
Apr 2005
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
94
  • RedSwordfish is offline
#12
Thank you all! I`m really looking forward to Goa!!
#13 Feb 6th, 2008, 18:44
Join Date:
Dec 2007
Location:
England
Posts:
33
  • mardon is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy1 View Post It is not illegal to rent a bike in Goa. However, the bike must be registered for this purpose. Bikes that have been registered have black licence plates with yellow writing. You will have to get to the beach belt to rent one, as there are no 'hire shops' your best bet is to ask a taxi driver at a stand outside a hotel. If you really want an Enfield, make sure you get a good one, its often a case of adopting one rather than renting one.

Correct. British Citizans can legally rent one when they have an international drivers licence.
#14 Feb 6th, 2008, 18:58
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Goa
Posts:
3,178
  • goangoangone is offline
#14
The special rental plates will save you a lot of hassle. International license as well. You will get a bike anywhere on the coast. It's very quiet this year, so bargain hard. Never ask any taxi driver for anything. They are all crooks. Any taxi drivers on this forum care to defend that?? Also keep some small money (100rs) in one pocket in case you're stopped. The old bill will always think of something to extort money. if you haven't got any, they take what they can.
GoanGoan......here & there
#15 Jun 12th, 2008, 01:14
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Wolverhampton, UK
Posts:
6
  • GhostRider is offline
#15
From what I have heard/read from other sites is that aslong as you (British citizens)have an IDP - International driving permit then you can legaly ride/drive in India or anywhere else in the world...you can get an IDP from the AA, RAC or some post offices costs around 7.50

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Renting Bikes in Goa Apr 28th, 2011 12:46 50 14571 Goa
Renting in Goa Oct 18th, 2007 15:53 1 1094 Goa
renting a restaurant in goa Jul 20th, 2006 17:06 8 2124 Goa
Renting property in Goa Apr 24th, 2006 15:09 1 1211 Lodging and Hotels in India
Renting in Goa/Kerala Aug 31st, 2004 13:01 14 5983 Lodging and Hotels in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success