Organic food in Goa?

#1 Oct 20th, 2006, 00:55
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Taipei Taiwan
Posts:
1,075
Send a message via Yahoo to Shaktipalooza
  • Shaktipalooza is offline
#1
Does anyone know if this is hard to come by? Not just restaurants but produce, market goods, etc.

We spend an awful lot of time reading about the heavy use of pesticides in India and would like know if there are healthier alternatives.
#2 Oct 20th, 2006, 04:04
Join Date:
Nov 2004
Location:
Kerala
Posts:
408
  • 2cents is offline
#2
There is a restaurant known for health and macrobiotic food in Anjuna called 'Orgasmic'.Its situated next to the Oxford stores.I think you might be able to get more info about where to source organic food stuff from there.
Here is a list of a few other stores stocking organic food in Goa.
#3 Oct 20th, 2006, 12:11
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Vancouver
Posts:
4,017
  • GoanCanuck is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaktipalooza Does anyone know if this is hard to come by? Not just restaurants but produce, market goods, etc.
Organic products in the North american sense are practically non-existent in Goa. Having said that it should be lept in mind that 95% of the vegetables and fruit sold in Goa come from Karnataka. The remaining 5% that is grown in Goa is the one you should consume because usually it is less prone to be grown with the assistance of pesticides. There are small farms from where you can buy vegetables which tend to be more "organic".
#4 Nov 18th, 2006, 07:56
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Vancouver
Posts:
4,017
  • GoanCanuck is offline
#4
You can contact Ambrosia organic farms which is run by a Britisher with an office at,
House No. 601,
Near Baga Bridge
Baga Beach - 403 516
India

Phone-(91)-(832)-2279847

The farm is in the interior in Amboli.
#5 Nov 18th, 2006, 20:51
Join Date:
Apr 2006
Location:
Kotgarh, Himachal Pradesh
Posts:
160
Send a message via MSN to khaadu75
  • khaadu75 is offline
#5
Hey, Its strange but last year I went MAD looking for land in Goa to set up an Organic Vegetable Farm but whoever I spoke with discouraged me saying that Organic just wasnt in demand in Goa ..

Im doing organic farming up North and still dream of doing the same in Goa .. !!!

Maybe I shud go meet the Brit in Goa when I go there next .

Cheers
#6 Nov 19th, 2006, 04:56
Join Date:
Jul 2002
Location:
the Netherlands
Posts:
5,985
  • cyberhippie is offline
#6
I was told the same thing, Indians SO far see no sense in paying more for organic produce, this will probably change.

There's a organic spice farm in the Western Ghats near the Mangal Tropical flower farm. On the Chaudi-Quepem back road!!
#7 Nov 19th, 2006, 07:47
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Goa
Posts:
3,189
  • goangoangone is offline
#7
I think this one is organic.http://www.sahakarifarms.com/home.html

GoanGoan......here & there
#8 Nov 19th, 2006, 07:59
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Goa
Posts:
3,189
  • goangoangone is offline
#8
I bought some Brown Rice packed by Conscious Foods from Mumbai.

#9 Nov 30th, 2006, 20:29
Join Date:
Nov 2006
Location:
Goa
Posts:
8
  • Captain Sink is offline
#9
Dave from Ambrosia supplies many shops and restaurants in the north goa area. At least half a dozen varieties of lettuce, basil, parsley, tomatoes, including sun dried, potatoes, courgettes and anything else he can grow successfully. We are spoilt for choice. Also organic brown rice, sunflower oil, peanut oil. These are all available at most major food stores catering mainly to foreigners. Orchard Stores in Anjuna, Las Viegas in Arpora. Restaurants - Xaviers, Anjuna, J & A's, Baga River, Roma Italian, Calangute and many more, if the salads organic its Daves. Enjoy. By the way, he does this for love not money, thank you Dave.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Is Indian food like Indian food in America? Jun 22nd, 2007 10:10 53 11319 Indian Cooking and Cuisine
Organic farm volunteering Mar 24th, 2006 15:30 1 1519 Volunteering and Charitable Causes in India
Home food vs Restaurant food. why??? May 7th, 2005 23:53 2 4044 Indian Cooking and Cuisine
raw food Mar 19th, 2005 08:34 14 3419 Indian Cooking and Cuisine
Organic vegan food Jan 20th, 2004 17:16 0 415 Indian Cooking and Cuisine


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success