Dry day in Goa? 2nd Oct 2013?

#1 Sep 10th, 2013, 13:22
Join Date:
Dec 2012
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
191
  • oaashish is offline
#1
Hi All,

I am reaching Goa on 2nd Oct Afternoon.

I wanted to know if it will be a dry day in Goa on that day (Gandhi Jayanti).

If its a dry day then I wonder that I can enjoy beer at Baga shacks after 12:00 AM - 3rd Oct or I have to wait till 3rd Oct morning.

Fingers Crossed.. Waiting for reply

-Aashish
Happiness is only Real when Shared
#2 Sep 10th, 2013, 14:07
Join Date:
Oct 2008
Location:
Here & there
Posts:
3,427
  • johnny five is offline
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaashish View Post Hi All,

I am reaching Goa on 2nd Oct Afternoon.

I wanted to know if it will be a dry day in Goa on that day (Gandhi Jayanti).

If its a dry day then I wonder that I can enjoy beer at Baga shacks after 12:00 AM - 3rd Oct or I have to wait till 3rd Oct morning.

Fingers Crossed.. Waiting for reply

-Aashish
Gandhi's birthday is not strictly enforced in the same way as elections usually, but the new-ish BJP government is unpredictable.

When you refer to "Baga shacks", if you mean the ones all along the beach, they will not have been built by then, and a lot of the "permanent" ones will still be closed.
#3 Sep 10th, 2013, 15:52
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
planet earth
Posts:
1,048
  • baba420 is offline
#3
oct 2nd is dry day all over INDIA.
peace
baba.
#4 Sep 10th, 2013, 16:29
Join Date:
Oct 2008
Location:
Here & there
Posts:
3,427
  • johnny five is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba420 View Post oct 2nd is dry day all over INDIA.
Have you found it to be strictly enforced in Goa Baba? I know this has been toughened up on in recent years
#5 Sep 10th, 2013, 17:14
Join Date:
Dec 2012
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
191
  • oaashish is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny five View Post Gandhi's birthday is not strictly enforced in the same way as elections usually, but the new-ish BJP government is unpredictable.

When you refer to "Baga shacks", if you mean the ones all along the beach, they will not have been built by then, and a lot of the "permanent" ones will still be closed.
Johnny five, thanks for your reply. with Baga Shacks I was referring the 3-4 permanent shacks which are there. I visited Goa last month only 9 Aug 2013 and those 3-4 shacks were there.

I visited Goa around 4 times as of now and those 3-4 shacks are always there. I wonder if I can find any beer shops open on that day and if we can buy the beers and can have them in hotel room?
#6 Sep 10th, 2013, 18:43
Join Date:
Oct 2008
Location:
Here & there
Posts:
3,427
  • johnny five is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaashish View Post Johnny five, thanks for your reply. with Baga Shacks I was referring the 3-4 permanent shacks which are there. I visited Goa last month only 9 Aug 2013 and those 3-4 shacks were there.

I visited Goa around 4 times as of now and those 3-4 shacks are always there. I wonder if I can find any beer shops open on that day and if we can buy the beers and can have them in hotel room?
The beer shops are most likely to be enforced, there are far fewer than bars.
#7 Sep 10th, 2013, 22:02
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Goa
Posts:
3,174
  • goangoangone is offline
#7
You won't find any wine shops open. If you know a "quiet" bar, you will get a beer.

GoanGoan......here & there
#8 Sep 10th, 2013, 23:40
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
planet earth
Posts:
1,048
  • baba420 is offline
#8
unfortunately i was in goa on oct 2nd few years ago,
i got cpl of bottles of whisky so i was not worried much,
but most of the places didnot sell alcohol on Oct 2nd.
in gujarat alcohol is banned 365 days a year, you can still find and buy alcohol there.
#9 Sep 12th, 2013, 14:30
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
59,713
  • Nick-H is offline
#9
one day is a problem?

Take a bottle with you.
#10 Sep 12th, 2013, 19:20
Join Date:
Sep 2009
Location:
Toronto Canada
Posts:
950
  • torontomm is offline
#10
On the beach you can always jump in the water to turn your "dry day" into a "wet day"
#11 Sep 12th, 2013, 20:54
Join Date:
Dec 2012
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
191
  • oaashish is offline
#11
Okay.. Looks like I got my annswer partially. But the Major concern is still there.. I am reaching gona in After noon Oct 2nd.. What I wanted to know is that the wine shops and the other shacks will be selling alochol as usual after midnight ??
#12 Sep 12th, 2013, 20:57
Join Date:
Dec 2012
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
191
  • oaashish is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny five View Post The beer shops are most likely to be enforced, there are far fewer than bars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goangoangone View Post You won't find any wine shops open. If you know a "quiet" bar, you will get a beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post one day is a problem?

Take a bottle with you.
Okay.. Only one concern.. After 12:00 AM , It will be an another day i.e 3rd Oct.. So what I want to know is that if its possible to find wine shops and shacks selling alcohol as usual? Because after midnight, Logically it will be 3rd Oct. Looking forward to your valuable comments
#13 Sep 12th, 2013, 20:58
Join Date:
Dec 2012
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
191
  • oaashish is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontomm View Post On the beach you can always jump in the water to turn your "dry day" into a "wet day"
Thanks will do it for sure but if I can enjoy beer with sea then it would be awesome
#14 Sep 15th, 2013, 04:05
Join Date:
May 2010
Location:
Bradford
Posts:
934
  • dan bushell is offline
#14
are there any other dry days forecast in the winter months(eg for panchayat elections or anything)?
not bothered by an odd day but just remember a few years ago when it was for several days in a row-still managed to get round it though!
#15 Sep 25th, 2013, 10:07
Join Date:
May 2012
Location:
Munich
Posts:
3
  • Indianer007 is offline
#15
Yes, Oct 2nd is a dry day in Goa and is enforced quite strictly. In fact bars and restaurants have to hand up a sign stating it is a dry day. Also in keeping with new rules in force, wine shops have to close at 9 pm and bars/shacks at 11 pm. Since the new shack policy has not been introduced only a few "permanent" shacks will be open.

So to answer your query, I do not think you will be served any alcohol at 12 am on 3rd Oct but I'm pretty sure you will find a bar which is "willing"to risk it!
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Leh Trip Via Srinagar - 24th Aug 2013 to 2nd Sep 2013 Aug 23rd, 2013 15:29 3 683 India Travel Itinerary Advice
Goa in Oct 1st week 2013 Aug 6th, 2013 01:37 3 2268 Goa
Travelling alone to Goa 2nd week of May 2013 Apr 29th, 2013 15:36 0 819 Goa
Can we get Alcohol in Goa on Republic day (Dry Day) Jan 28th, 2011 13:06 18 6458 Goa
two day party in goa on 3rd and 4th oct Oct 3rd, 2009 18:23 8 934 Goa


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success