PIO (from US) updates in 2012?

#1 Jan 16th, 2013, 12:49
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
hyderabad/london
Posts:
42
  • irishkansan07 is offline
#1
Hi all,

The PIO threads have been helpful but are all a little older, so I wanted to bounce a few questions and see if anyone has ~2012 application experience from the US that can chime in. MUCH appreciated.

As background, I'm a US citizen applying for PIO because my spouse is an Indian citizen. We stay in India, I'm on employment visa (renewed annually).

1. Where to apply: US (Houston) or Mumbai?
I think there's probably an easy answer to this for convenience (Houston) but just wanted to triple confirm before I fly back to the US. I'm also not sure that I'm able to apply in India because: (a) I'm not sure my E visa qualifies as 'long term' visa because it has to be renewed annually, and (b) my husband has a US visa, which somehow seems to bump us to the 'US application' category?

2. What to notarize, and where
I think we have to notarize the following:
- Copy of marriage certificate (from India): Indian notary? (also side note, we got ours in the 'christian office' in the Mumbai mantralaya and it's essentially a word document with handwritten details - hoping no one's had an issue with this in the past?)
- Copy of my husband's Indian passport: does this need notarized? I've been told in Canada these have to be notarized by an Indian passport office, anyone US have inputs?
- Copy of US visa in my husband's passport: does this need notarized?
- anything else to notarize? copy of US driver's license, notarize in US?

3. Will currently valid Indian visa cause any issues?
I'm on an employment visa now - anyone have issues because they had a valid visa, or were 'resident' in India and not US for past couple of years?

4. Turnaround time, any inputs from Houston?
I have a pretty tight scheduled (3 weeks) for applying, hoping that people have had quick turnaround times recently in Houston?

5. Any other tips or issues recently to know about?
I will obviously be fretting over this until I have this in my hand.
#2 Jan 16th, 2013, 14:39
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
14,909
  • nycank is offline
#2
4. Houston is from anecdotal accounts not the most efficient in processing. Three weeks is cutting it close.

3. NO
#3 Jan 17th, 2013, 01:24
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
hyderabad/london
Posts:
42
  • irishkansan07 is offline
#3
Thanks nycank! I'm also worried about the processing time.

ANOTHER QUESTION TO ADD TO MY LIST:
This is from the Travisa website on PIO requirements:
"15. Address in India: If the address in India is different from the one in the Indian passport, please provide proof in r/o new address."
What does this mean? If my husband (Indian citizen) is currently living in a location different from the address listed in his passport, we have to provide proof? How would the consulate know one way or the other - does this matter? Any thoughts appreciated.
#4 Jan 17th, 2013, 02:16
Join Date:
Sep 2008
Location:
dallas, tx
Posts:
1,997
  • curtdfw is offline
#4
Quote:
Thanks nycank! I'm also worried about the processing time.

ANOTHER QUESTION TO ADD TO MY LIST:
This is from the Travisa website on PIO requirements:
"15. Address in India: If the address in India is different from the one in the Indian passport, please provide proof in r/o new address."
What does this mean? If my husband (Indian citizen) is currently living in a location different from the address listed in his passport, we have to provide proof? How would the consulate know one way or the other - does this matter? Any thoughts appreciated.

1. Though my PIO was in 2008, it took four weeks, right at Houston's stated processing time. This was before Travisa. It seems a bit risky.

2. Agree that your husband's location should be a non-issue barring referral to India for processing. Though my wife's passport address was Delhi, she was staying with her mother in Assam at the time my application was processed. They did call her on her mobile with a couple of questions, but there was none of the send-someone-to-confirm that happened to me with my E-visas or Residence Permits.
“She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” – Mark Twain
#5 Jan 17th, 2013, 12:35
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
hyderabad/london
Posts:
42
  • irishkansan07 is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdfw View Post 2. Agree that your husband's location should be a non-issue barring referral to India for processing. Though my wife's passport address was Delhi, she was staying with her mother in Assam at the time my application was processed. They did call her on her mobile with a couple of questions, but there was none of the send-someone-to-confirm that happened to me with my E-visas or Residence Permits.
Thanks for the feedback on this. And they confirmed your location with E visas and RPs? I've never had this happen, interesting!

I mean I could always send a lease and stuff from where we stay now, but that seems like it could just complicate the application.
#6 May 7th, 2013, 21:52
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
hyderabad/london
Posts:
42
  • irishkansan07 is offline
#6
Hi all, as an update my application was rejected from the US because my husband has a US visa (B1/B2), despite Bangalore FRRO and Travisa telling me I needed to apply from the US, not India. Heads up.
#7 May 8th, 2013, 06:49
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
14,909
  • nycank is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishkansan07 View Post Hi all, as an update my application was rejected from the US because my husband has a US visa (B1/B2), despite Bangalore FRRO and Travisa telling me I needed to apply from the US, not India. Heads up.
Something is missing from this picture ! Your PIO was rejected on what grounds ? B1/B2 is none of Indian Consulate's Business.

There is insufficient information to evaluate the cause.
#8 May 8th, 2013, 08:26
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
hyderabad/london
Posts:
42
  • irishkansan07 is offline
#8
I was told that my applications materials are fine, but in order to apply from the US (I am a US citizen), my husband has to have legal permanent residency or another long-term visa in the US. As he has a B1/B2, we were told to return to India and apply from there (but I have previously asked at the FRRO Bangalore and they said to apply from the US).
#9 May 8th, 2013, 08:34
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
14,909
  • nycank is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishkansan07 View Post I was told that my applications materials are fine, but in order to apply from the US (I am a US citizen), my husband has to have legal permanent residency or another long-term visa in the US. As he has a B1/B2, we were told to return to India and apply from there (but I have previously asked at the FRRO Bangalore and they said to apply from the US).
The is facacta BS. Many have had PIO (amongst the IM members whose spouse have not even stepped out of their town/village let alone state) from the US.

If this was given in writing by the Indian Consulate in Houston (what else is new in Perryland ) you should tweet to Ms Rao.
#10 May 8th, 2013, 15:34
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
hyderabad/london
Posts:
42
  • irishkansan07 is offline
#10
They refused to give it in writing from Houston; I even got a Senator's office and the State Dept. involved at DC consulate as well! I was furious and am now stuck in a grey area for applying for PIO. They said that the B1/B2 visa disqualified me from applying in the US, and he had to have a long-term visa. This is not made clear anywhere in Travisa information online (they have a quote about 'if you are a non US passport holder, B1/B2 is ineligible, but they say that the 'you' in this sentence refers to the parents/spouse, not the applicant). Prior to my trip to US - during very detailed calls to Travisa and FRRO to explain my situation - this was never raised. I wonder if this is a new rule?
#11 May 8th, 2013, 15:57
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
14,909
  • nycank is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishkansan07 View Post They refused to give it in writing from Houston;

I wonder if this is a new rule?
This is snake oil.
If you are in the US, Tweet rao.
#12 May 8th, 2013, 16:45
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
hyderabad/london
Posts:
42
  • irishkansan07 is offline
#12
Gah! I've just left. I think we will ask her though. Trying to escalate the issue in MHA now because I need this PIO, and now I don't care where I get it from, I already wasted a trip to the US. Houston consulate literally said 'try again in India, and then we'll see'...as if flying back and forth across the world is an easy thing to do!
#13 May 8th, 2013, 17:53
Join Date:
Jan 2007
Location:
someway over the rainbow
Posts:
398
  • ycl1688 is offline
#13
it is in trivisa site, requirements for
PIO, Non US passport holder is not eligible, I quote
"Those eligible to apply for a PIO card:
Any persons of Indian origin who holds a passport of any other country (with certain exceptions) can apply for a PIO card if they:
Have held an Indian passport at any time, or
Have parents, grandparents or great grandparents who were born and permanently reside in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935, or any other territory that became part of India thereafter, or
Are the spouse of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin as defined by the criteria listed above.
Non US passport holders who hold a temporary visa such as B1/B2 are not eligible.

You may be ineligible to apply for a PIO card if you, your spouse, parents, grandparents or great grandparents have ever held citizenship of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Iran, Nepal, Pakistan or Sri Lanka."
#14 May 8th, 2013, 23:46
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
14,909
  • nycank is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post it is in trivisa site, requirements for
PIO, Non US passport holder is not eligible, I quote
"Those eligible to apply for a PIO card:
Any persons of Indian origin who holds a passport of any other country (with certain exceptions) can apply for a PIO card if they:
Have held an Indian passport at any time, or
Have parents, grandparents or great grandparents who were born and permanently reside in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935, or any other territory that became part of India thereafter, or
Are the spouse of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin as defined by the criteria listed above.
Non US passport holders who hold a temporary visa such as B1/B2 are not eligible.

You may be ineligible to apply for a PIO card if you, your spouse, parents, grandparents or great grandparents have ever held citizenship of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Iran, Nepal, Pakistan or Sri Lanka."
The OP is a US Citizen. She is married to an Indian Citizen thereby is eligible for a PIO. Unless there is other materiel information she has, but not disclosed; her should have been a straight forward case.
#15 May 8th, 2013, 23:47
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
14,909
  • nycank is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishkansan07 View Post Gah! I've just left. I think we will ask her though.
Then do not do so, because if you tweet her, you will not be able to go back to the US to resolve your case.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Himalayan Snowfall Update Thread Nov 15th, 2014 12:45 994 131475 Off the Beaten Trail in India
Pindari updates Nov 2nd, 2012 16:04 14 1544 Uttarakhand
Ladakh Updates Jun 11th, 2009 23:00 1 1054 Ladakh & Zanskar
updates on nashik Dec 11th, 2005 13:32 0 1230 Maharashtra
Immunization updates? Jan 31st, 2003 06:38 2 1245 Health and Well Being in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success