Bhutan

Reply
#1 May 30th, 2010, 19:05
Join Date:
Apr 2010
Location:
Chennai,Tamilnadu, India
Posts:
92
  • rammala is offline
#1
Hi! All!!!
Can any one tell me what it would cost for in indian Rupees to visit Bhutan for a few days.
And how one can plan to go from Chennai.
How is the food there too.
Are people allowed staying in a monastery like place.
Thanks.
ramamal
#2 May 30th, 2010, 19:56
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
71
  • sauravroy is offline
#2

Bhutan

Hi Rammala,
You can travel to Bhutan by the following:
By Air from Kolkata to Paro (flight operational on fixed days)
By Road from New Jalpaiguri (NJP to Phuentsholing, town bordering India)

If you fly by air you will get a permit in Paro on arrival.
If you go by road you will need to get a permit in Phuentsholing. Its preferred that you have a contact there to speed up he permit formalities.

The permit will only allow you to stay in Phuentsholing, Paro and Thimphu. If you want to visit other far flung places eg, North Bhutan, Bumthang, Trashigang etc, you will have to apply for additional permits in Thimphu. This can be done by self.

Stay is reasonable @ Rs. 500-800 for lodging only at decent place. Food is reasonable but mostly non-veg. Alcohol is also reasonable.

Bhutan does not have any ATMS so you should carry INR with you.

Let me know if you would like more details.
You can also try using an Indian tour operator.

By the way, Bhutan is one of the most beautiful places and its so peaceful, but due to advent of technology & outside influences it could change rapidly. Therefore, you should visit fast.

Cheers
Saurav
#3 May 30th, 2010, 20:36
Join Date:
Apr 2010
Location:
Chennai,Tamilnadu, India
Posts:
92
  • rammala is offline
#3
sauravroy
Thanks for the info. Yes! I would be happy to get more details on this.
You are right, the advent of technology and outside influence spoils the real nature of good places.
I wished that this does not take place when i visited Mukthinath.
Thanks.
#4 May 30th, 2010, 20:37
Join Date:
Apr 2010
Location:
Chennai,Tamilnadu, India
Posts:
92
  • rammala is offline
#4
How about vegetaria food availabilty over there.
#5 Jun 1st, 2010, 00:14
Join Date:
Dec 2009
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
60
  • curious_man123 is offline
#5
Check this Bhutan Tourism site:

http://www.tourism.gov.bt
#6 Jun 1st, 2010, 00:29
Join Date:
Jan 2005
Location:
yörp
Posts:
21,997
  • machadinha is offline
#6
... And see also this site's Bhutan - The Lost Shangri-La.
#7 Jun 1st, 2010, 11:41
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Bombay
Posts:
300
Send a message via Yahoo to hvkumar Send a message via Skype™ to hvkumar
  • hvkumar is offline
#7
No problem with veg food in Thimphu, Paro and Phuntsoling. Even in other places, you get good veg food. Rotis, sabji, rice, daal.

You can check out my travelogue in the following link:
http://hvkumar.googlepages.com/kumar'snortheastdrivingholiday

In Thimphu, you get excellent Indian food in Chulha on Norzim lam, the main road. And you even get dosas and idlis in another restaurant, forget its name.
H V Kumar
#8 Jun 4th, 2010, 13:01
Join Date:
Apr 2010
Location:
Chennai,Tamilnadu, India
Posts:
92
  • rammala is offline
#8
That was cool and great, Kumar. Thanks.
#9 Apr 28th, 2011, 14:43
Join Date:
Apr 2011
Location:
Currently in the Sandpit
Posts:
2
  • nafz is offline
#9

A late addition but another Bhutan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravroy View Post Hi Rammala,
You can travel to Bhutan by the following:
By Air from Kolkata to Paro (flight operational on fixed days)
By Road from New Jalpaiguri (NJP to Phuentsholing, town bordering India)

If you fly by air you will get a permit in Paro on arrival.
If you go by road you will need to get a permit in Phuentsholing. Its preferred that you have a contact there to speed up he permit formalities.

The permit will only allow you to stay in Phuentsholing, Paro and Thimphu. If you want to visit other far flung places eg, North Bhutan, Bumthang, Trashigang etc, you will have to apply for additional permits in Thimphu. This can be done by self.

Stay is reasonable @ Rs. 500-800 for lodging only at decent place. Food is reasonable but mostly non-veg. Alcohol is also reasonable.

Bhutan does not have any ATMS so you should carry INR with you.

Let me know if you would like more details.
You can also try using an Indian tour operator.

By the way, Bhutan is one of the most beautiful places and its so peaceful, but due to advent of technology & outside influences it could change rapidly. Therefore, you should visit fast.

Cheers
Saurav
Hello Saurav,

Am keen on going to Bhutan soon. Would you be so kind as to answer a few questions.

I am Indian. I figure I will take a flight from Kolkata to Paro, as you mentioned. I would also like to visit Bhumtang and will get the extra permits in Thimphu as you recommended. However since you have to liaise with a tour agency for Bhutan, would you suggest hunting for an agency in Kolkata prior to flying (I would probably have to do this right?)

Also a bit confused about the USD200 tarrif per day. Would this apply to me too? I have gone thru the links of Bhutan travelogues by Indians but nowhere have I read of them paying so steep a price yet any Bhutan touring company website says you have to do this.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks a bunch
#10 Apr 28th, 2011, 14:50
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Bombay
Posts:
300
Send a message via Yahoo to hvkumar Send a message via Skype™ to hvkumar
  • hvkumar is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafz View Post Hello Saurav,

Am keen on going to Bhutan soon. Would you be so kind as to answer a few questions.

I am Indian. I figure I will take a flight from Kolkata to Paro, as you mentioned. I would also like to visit Bhumtang and will get the extra permits in Thimphu as you recommended. However since you have to liaise with a tour agency for Bhutan, would you suggest hunting for an agency in Kolkata prior to flying (I would probably have to do this right?)

Also a bit confused about the USD200 tarrif per day. Would this apply to me too? I have gone thru the links of Bhutan travelogues by Indians but nowhere have I read of them paying so steep a price yet any Bhutan touring company website says you have to do this.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks a bunch
USD 200 tariffs do not apply to Indians.
You can go and come as you please unaccompanied by guides or conducted tour operators.
No need for any prior books, you will get acco easily.
No need for any agent.
You have to apply for permit extension to go to Bumthang after you arrive in Thimphu.
Getting permits at Phuntsoling and THimphu is a simple affair. Only issue is they are issued only on working days during working hours, so regulate our arrival accordingly.
#11 Apr 28th, 2011, 14:55
Join Date:
Apr 2011
Location:
Currently in the Sandpit
Posts:
2
  • nafz is offline
#11
Thanks hvkumar. That explains a lot. Appreciate it.
#12 Apr 28th, 2011, 23:42
Join Date:
Apr 2010
Location:
Chennai,Tamilnadu, India
Posts:
92
  • rammala is offline
#12
Thanks for the info/
#13 May 8th, 2011, 22:00
Join Date:
May 2011
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
3
  • milestepper is offline
#13
Hey ...could someone pl help with how to book hotels in Bhutan ? Has anyone been to the Ura tsechu ? Is it worth a visit? I will be visiting in the week after next, will be happy to get some quick tips. Thanks
#14 Jun 12th, 2011, 21:26
Join Date:
Oct 2007
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
2,941
  • asishdas is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post No problem with veg food in Thimphu, Paro and Phuntsoling. Even in other places, you get good veg food. Rotis, sabji, rice, daal.

You can check out my travelogue in the following link:
http://hvkumar.googlepages.com/kumar'snortheastdrivingholiday

In Thimphu, you get excellent Indian food in Chulha on Norzim lam, the main road. And you even get dosas and idlis in another restaurant, forget its name.
In your travelogue, there is a reference of HOTEL TT, where you had stayed during your stay at Thimpu. Can you please provide the contact address, phone no. etc. of this Hotel? I googled, but could not lay my hand on any info of this Hotel. Thanks & regards.

Asish Das
#15 Jun 13th, 2011, 01:35
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Bombay
Posts:
300
Send a message via Yahoo to hvkumar Send a message via Skype™ to hvkumar
  • hvkumar is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by asishdas View Post In your travelogue, there is a reference of HOTEL TT, where you had stayed during your stay at Thimpu. Can you please provide the contact address, phone no. etc. of this Hotel? I googled, but could not lay my hand on any info of this Hotel. Thanks & regards.

Asish Das
Thimphu Hotels:
TT Hotel, Norzin Lam, 00975-2-332352/272/17660644
Hotel New Grand, Norzin Lam, 00975-2-324290

Paro HOtels:
Hotel Peljorling, 00975-8-271365

Jakar Hotels:
River Lodge, 03-631287/668/Pema Dawa

Trashigang HOtels:
Hotel Druk Deothjung,00975-4-521214,1764-7993/1761-9713
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
bhutan Apr 19th, 2010 16:31 1 2601 Other Areas
Touring Bhutan Jul 4th, 2009 20:23 1 2534 India Travel Itinerary Advice
Bhutan or Burma Oct 11th, 2006 20:34 9 3155 Introduce Yourself


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2017
Page Load Success