Advise needed for road travel to Nepal

#1 Oct 2nd, 2005, 19:00
Join Date:
Oct 2005
Location:
Netherlands
Posts:
10
  • Raj is offline
#1
Hey you guys, this is the first time I am posting out here ...hope you all help me out asap.

Ok, my plan is to go from delhi to nepal with me son of 2,4 years old. My visa is already takes care of I will take his visa with keeping the 30 dollars ready .... I have already done some homework on what to do though have a few questions to experts who have done this journey before.

I have an option of taking a pvt taxi to Nepalganj, via Nanpara in UP. The calculation shows that delhi nanpara distance is 446km. How far is it to Nepalganj from nanpara? How long does it take to nepalganj by road from delhi? Is the Indian taxi also allowed to travel in Nepal? is it easy to cross the border from here with out hassles? Nepalganj to to kathmandu will not be sensible by road since I have a kid with me. Should I better take a plane to Kathmandu? As far my research there is a cosmic air flight at 12:45. and buddha air flight at 10:25, 14:20, 17:45. they cost around 4000 Rs. Are the flights easily available on the same day?

second option is driving all the way to raxaul in bihar which is 716 km. From raxaul crossing to simara is another 30 km. Is this an easy crossing without hassles? How long does it take by road from delhi to raxaul by taxi? From simara there are daily flights at 08:45, 09:30, 12:35,13:50,16:50 to kathmandu. the fare is around 1200 NPR. Are the seats easily available?

So what is advisable as a travel? I don't know if it's allowed to but my email is iskahlon@gmail.com ....In order to get quick info from all you nepal experts :-)
#2 Oct 2nd, 2005, 23:29
Join Date:
Aug 2005
Location:
INDIA
Posts:
371
  • TREKorDIE is offline
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.nepalhomepage.com http://www.nepalhomepage.com/travel/faq/FAQgoing.html
you can travel overland to Nepal from India. Buses are usually the quickest and easiest form of transport for this. There are three main crossing points: Sunauli-Bhairawa, Birganj-Raxaul and Kakarbhitta-Silguri. The Sunauli border crossing is the best one from Varanasi, the Birgunj crossing is the easiest from Calcutta; and Kakarbhitta is the best crossing from Darjeeling.
Delhi to Gorakhpur by train.
Gorakhpur to Sanauli by bus or pvt. taxi.
Cross the border at Sanauli and go to Bhairahawa (Nepal).
Halt at Bhairahawa, flight to Kathmandu next morning.

CHEERS
TREKorDIE:
" BECAUSE IT IS THERE ! ! ! "
#3 Oct 2nd, 2005, 23:51
Veda Chanting & Mantra Yoga teacher
Join Date:
Oct 2003
Location:
body in Mumbai, head in Himalaya
Posts:
2,835
  • AvidTrekker is offline
#3

Thumbs up Nepalgunj

I did the same route. We hired our own Aircon bus from Delhi to Roopaiideehaa [town in India across Nepalganj border crossing]. Started Delhi at 12:00 noon reached Rupaidiha [this is how the state buses spell it] at 09:00 the next day. Crossed over the border on foot. Took an autorickshaw to the Nepalganj airport [20 mins]. Took a 14:00 flight by Necon air to Kathmandu. reached KTM at 16:35.

Indian taxis cannot cross over, a f a i k.

In my personal opinion, you should fly from Delhi to Kathmandu, unless you want to enjoy the countryside in particular.

Some bus people also ply a bus from Delhi to KTM via Sunauli border. It takes 24 hours plus. Maybe they arrange another bus at the border. I have not done this journey myself.
The Universe is an ellipsoid?... or a Spheroid?? If the sphere smiles... it becomes an ellipse. This IS Creation.
#4 Oct 2nd, 2005, 23:52
Join Date:
Oct 2005
Location:
Netherlands
Posts:
10
  • Raj is offline
#4

your info is already there in threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREKorDIE Delhi to Gorakhpur by train.
Gorakhpur to Sanauli by bus or pvt. taxi.
Cross the border at Sanauli and go to Bhairahawa (Nepal).
Halt at Bhairahawa, flight to Kathmandu next morning.

CHEERS
Hi trekordie ....yaar I had a couple of very specific questions ...which you haven't answered....timings of travel.....etc The information you gave me is already there in the threads....
#5 Oct 2nd, 2005, 23:59
Join Date:
Oct 2005
Location:
Netherlands
Posts:
10
  • Raj is offline
#5

446 km's in 21 hours????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidTrekker I did the same route. We hired our own Aircon bus from Delhi to Roopaiideehaa [town in India across Nepalganj border crossing]. Started Delhi at 12:00 noon reached Rupaidiha [this is how the state buses spell it] at 09:00 the next day. Crossed over the border on foot. Took an autorickshaw to the Nepalganj airport [20 mins]. Took a 14:00 flight by Necon air to Kathmandu. reached KTM at 16:35.

Indian taxis cannot cross over, a f a i k.

In my personal opinion, you should fly from Delhi to Kathmandu, unless you want to enjoy the countryside in particular.

Some bus people also ply a bus from Delhi to KTM via Sunauli border. It takes 24 hours plus. Maybe they arrange another bus at the border. I have not done this journey myself.
Hi avid trekker, thanks for you reply .... Delhi to nepalgunj shouldn't be a journey more then 7/8 hours as it's 446 km. Delhi amritsar is 398 and tht is done in 5/6 at max 7 hours.
#6 Oct 3rd, 2005, 00:18
Veda Chanting & Mantra Yoga teacher
Join Date:
Oct 2003
Location:
body in Mumbai, head in Himalaya
Posts:
2,835
  • AvidTrekker is offline
#6

Maybe we started late...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Hi avid trekker, thanks for you reply .... Delhi to nepalgunj shouldn't be a journey more then 7/8 hours as it's 446 km. Delhi amritsar is 398 and tht is done in 5/6 at max 7 hours.
Maybe we started late from delhi, say around 6:00 in the evening. But my reaching time is accurate, coz the border post opened at 09:00 in those days. I don't know where you got your figure of 446 km. Also roads in UP are far worse than those to Amritsar. I recall we reached Sitapur at 04:30 in the morning. From there the roads were bad and it took us 4.5 hrs for a distance of 100 km or so, There is a bridge over the river Sarda only at one place... so go to that crossing only.

If you ask the State transport buses ppl at ISBT, you will get the exact km to Rupaidiha. The UP state transport bus had also reached just 30 mins before us.
#7 Oct 3rd, 2005, 00:38
Join Date:
Oct 2005
Location:
Netherlands
Posts:
10
  • Raj is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidTrekker Maybe we started late from delhi, say around 6:00 in the evening. But my reaching time is accurate, coz the border post opened at 09:00 in those days. I don't know where you got your figure of 446 km. Also roads in UP are far worse than those to Amritsar. I recall we reached Sitapur at 04:30 in the morning. From there the roads were bad and it took us 4.5 hrs for a distance of 100 km or so, There is a bridge over the river Sarda only at one place... so go to that crossing only.

If you ask the State transport buses ppl at ISBT, you will get the exact km to Rupaidiha. The UP state transport bus had also reached just 30 mins before us.
hi there, Got the distance from http://www.nirvanatour.de/india/distan.html ....
ok so the roads are bad .... hmm isnt' it that there is a national highway(NH24) till sidhauli ...so 375 km is covered till here and from there it's inland road of another 80-100 kms......
#8 Feb 5th, 2009, 20:35
Join Date:
Oct 2006
Location:
Bombay
Posts:
268
Send a message via Yahoo to aviram
  • aviram is offline
#8

Nepal

Hey you can go to Nepal as suggested above or:

Bus from Delhi to Banbasa (UP Nepal border). Cross over to nepal and hire a ride to Mahendranagar. Bus from Mahendranagar to Kathmandu.
"I cannot see the plains without a shudder...O God not the plains..not the plains."
#9 Feb 5th, 2014, 16:26
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
the Netherlands
Posts:
180
  • aid is offline
#9
It takes 15 hours to reach Rupaidiha from Delhi ?????
Is there no faster way??
I need to fly in the morning from Leh to Delhi, arriving shortly before midday. Then I need to be in Nepalgunj early next morning, to fly at 7 to Simikot.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Advise needed Oct 23rd, 2013 16:32 2 353 India Travel Itinerary Advice
Travel advice needed: McLeodganj road trip with family Sep 14th, 2012 04:02 2 1705 Himachal Pradesh
Srinagar - Leh advise for road trip Jun 1st, 2012 15:35 9 1293 Jammu & Kashmir
Mumbai to Shirdi road/taxi advise Nov 25th, 2009 00:55 2 2082 Buses, Automobiles, Motorcycles, and Bicycles


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success