Writing from my 'cage' in the pits of Tamil Nadu

Closed Thread
#1 Apr 14th, 2011, 11:04
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Underneath the mango tree
Posts:
50
  • ClaireD is offline
#1
I'm writing this message from my 'cage' this morning... It's a bit hot but at least I'm getting fresh straw later on this morning.

I've heard rumours that India was a beautiful place... I wouldn't know as I'm trapped in my flat in the pits of Tamil Nadu. I've arrived 3 weeks ago and the school I work for simply does not care. I'm left alone for days on end, with dry food and water. They never told the place was so isolated and also lied by saying that I could find everything here. No milk, no Diet Coke, nothing fresh, no yoghurts etc (I think I could kill for a Diet Coke ) But to be honest, the food is the least of my worries.

I've tried everything.

To tell them I need to go out and see India - too busy;
To recruit more foreigners to have company - maybe later, and no gay men or black people... etc;
To ask what the plan is til school starts again in June - LOL, silliest question ever, a 'plan', you say??;

I'm naturally very close to going back to the UK but I would find it such a shame to do so without seeing any of India...

If you have any realistic and constructive suggestions that could prevent me from going back to the UK with the tail between my legs... please feel free to share them.

Thanks to all the members, Nick, Rohan, Vineet, Katie, Sudeep, who tried to help already with finding another job, sadly, I've sent so many emails, but most employers never reply, just like in Europe.

Jokers and patronising know-it-alls, please do not reply, I have more than enough to deal with.

*going back to my fleas now, protein is protein after all *
#2 Apr 14th, 2011, 11:41
Join Date:
Sep 2008
Location:
Varies, currently in D.C.
Posts:
2,382
  • dillichaat is offline
#2
Quote:
If you have any realistic and constructive suggestions that could prevent me from going back to the UK with the tail between my legs... please feel free to share them.
No suggestions apart from saying that cutting your losses and bailing out if a situation is irrecoverable is nothing to be ashamed of in my book. And to wish you good luck and strength, however it turns out.
"It is preferable to have a criminal for a servant rather than a fool because a criminal's actions are predictable and you can protect yourself against them, whereas there is no telling what a fool's next move will be.
#3 Apr 14th, 2011, 11:54
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Underneath the mango tree
Posts:
50
  • ClaireD is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillichaat View Post No suggestions apart from saying that cutting your losses and bailing out if a situation is irrecoverable is nothing to be ashamed of in my book. And to wish you good luck and strength, however it turns out.
Thanks, I have already cut my losses by deciding to leave the job, the reason for my thread is to TRY to see some of India before I go back to the UK. I KNOW not every Indian person is the same but the hardest so far is to remember that. So I repeat to myself 'Not every Indian person is selfish, racist and disrespectful to women'...
#4 Apr 14th, 2011, 11:56
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
planet earth
Posts:
1,048
  • baba420 is offline
#4
you can prob cover all of south india by the time next academic year starts,
by then you would be adjusted to living in INDIA,
visit kanyakumari and rameshwaram for sure,
and for yogurt my advise is to make home made yogurt,
tastes amazing for sure.
peace
baba.
#5 Apr 14th, 2011, 12:00
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Underneath the mango tree
Posts:
50
  • ClaireD is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba420 View Post you can prob cover all of south india by the time next academic year starts,
by then you would be adjusted to living in INDIA,
visit kanyakumari and rameshwaram for sure,
and for yogurt my advise is to make home made yogurt,
tastes amazing for sure.
ok thanks for the yoghurt tip, but for the rest, it's not a matter of 'adjusting' it's a matter of finding another job so that I can see some of India
#6 Apr 14th, 2011, 12:04
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
planet earth
Posts:
1,048
  • baba420 is offline
#6
how can you travel on job?
what kind of job are you looking for?
#7 Apr 14th, 2011, 12:07
Join Date:
Sep 2008
Location:
Varies, currently in D.C.
Posts:
2,382
  • dillichaat is offline
#7
Quote:
by then you would be adjusted to living in INDIA,
That's easy to say, almost impossible to do. Been living here 2.5 years (in a metro city and in considerable luxury I might add) and have come to the conclusion that 'adjusting' is all but impossible, nor -from my perspective- even a desired outcome. I'm not even trying. And it's not the material things or the lack of yoghurt and diet coke that make it hard.

ClaireD, what kind of budget and time do you have available? That will largely determine the possibilities. Getting away from it all completely will be hard but still, there's some places you can go to where relaxing and enjoying the country are quite possible.
#8 Apr 14th, 2011, 12:11
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
planet earth
Posts:
1,048
  • baba420 is offline
#8
survival of the fittest anywhere.
#9 Apr 14th, 2011, 12:19
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Underneath the mango tree
Posts:
50
  • ClaireD is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba420 View Post how can you travel on job?
what kind of job are you looking for?
I meant working and seeing India on weekends etc.
#10 Apr 14th, 2011, 12:23
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Underneath the mango tree
Posts:
50
  • ClaireD is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba420 View Post survival of the fittest anywhere.
I do realise that and have been through worse times. I could always fly back to the UK but I just can't come to terms with wasting time/opportunity/money etc.
#11 Apr 14th, 2011, 12:41
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Hyderabad, india
Posts:
8,570
  • narendra.d is offline
#11
Assuming you are on an E visa and so can do paid work, most jobs here are 6 day/week affairs leaving little time to rest/recover/run errands before the grind starts again. Very few jobs are 5 day/week and those that are, are in the large MNC/IMNC kind.

You didn't mention what kind of job you are looking at/what skills you have?
#12 Apr 14th, 2011, 12:47
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Underneath the mango tree
Posts:
50
  • ClaireD is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.d View Post Assuming you are on an E visa and so can do paid work, most jobs here are 6 day/week affairs leaving little time to rest/recover/run errands before the grind starts again. Very few jobs are 5 day/week and those that are, are in the large MNC/IMNC kind.

You didn't mention what kind of job you are looking at/what skills you have?
I'm on 5 day/week job actually, teaching various languages... My skills are languages and teaching.
#13 Apr 14th, 2011, 13:02
Join Date:
Sep 2008
Location:
Varies, currently in D.C.
Posts:
2,382
  • dillichaat is offline
#13
Think it will be very hard to get an official job on relatively short notice given that you're not Indian and there's lots of hassles and paperwork involved then. Unofficially you could ask around at language schools but these will very likely not offer you a contract and of course you'll be doing something illegal by making money that way. Also, I don't know what happens to your visa status if you quit your present job, that's a consideration too.

The following is not what you want to hear but under those circumstances I'd head back to the UK, get on my feet and if you really want to visit it, return later to India as a tourist.
#14 Apr 14th, 2011, 13:18
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Underneath the mango tree
Posts:
50
  • ClaireD is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillichaat View Post Think it will be very hard to get an official job on relatively short notice given that you're not Indian and there's lots of hassles and paperwork involved then. Unofficially you could ask around at language schools but these will very likely not offer you a contract and of course you'll be doing something illegal by making money that way. Also, I don't know what happens to your visa status if you quit your present job, that's a consideration too.

The following is not what you want to hear but under those circumstances I'd head back to the UK, get on my feet and if you really want to visit it, return later to India as a tourist.
I was afraid of that too (paperwork, visa etc) anyway thanks for the reply. About the illegal thing, I'm yet to meet one school who's worried about it LOL All my friends here actually work on tourist visas...
#15 Apr 14th, 2011, 13:24
Join Date:
Dec 2010
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
218
  • Iluvblr is offline
#15
Well if you are looking for a comfortable lifestyle then why south of tamil nadu, since language is your skill did you try at the international schools in metro's like bangalore/mumbai/delhi, the amount of salary that they pay out is good ( because the earn exorbitant amount of fees from the parents) and most of the kids who go there are expat kids.
Closed Thread

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
TAMIL NADU - What do we have to do? Aug 12th, 2009 20:36 7 2170 Tamil Nadu
Less well known Tamil Nadu Nov 1st, 2005 05:31 51 19894 Tamil Nadu


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2017
Page Load Success