Luggage Space on buses

#1 Apr 21st, 2017, 09:15
Join Date:
Aug 2012
Location:
UK
Posts:
145
  • Mimimiha is offline
#1
I have post a similar thread in the forum for trains, please forgive me as I got similar question for the buses.

We've decided to take buses for few journeys, eg: Rathimeena Travels with VOLVO AC Seater (from Chennai to Puducherry), and the bus from Alleppey to Munnar, then Munnar to Kochi (there's very limited info online and I don't know the name of the companies travelling to and from Munnar yet)

I know it is a very general question, but I would like to find out if there is enough space for luggage on the buses? Please check the following photos to see the size of my luggage. (I'm 5'7)




http://imgur.com/a/0Sai5
http://imgur.com/a/QLrMf

If there isn't enough space, we will just use smaller cases.
#2 Apr 21st, 2017, 09:30
Join Date:
Mar 2012
Location:
Sydney, Australia
Posts:
9,255
  • Govindpuri is offline
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimiha View Post I have post a similar thread in the forum for trains, please forgive me as I got similar question for the buses.
If there isn't enough space, we will just use smaller cases.
Indian people travel with a lot more luggage than you.

In Volvo bus they have plenty of room for the luggage.

When you board the bus you have over your luggage to the attendant. They store it in the luggage compartment under the bus.
#3 Apr 21st, 2017, 09:38
Join Date:
Aug 2012
Location:
UK
Posts:
145
  • Mimimiha is offline
#3
So they won't tie our luggage on the top of the bus LOL... Like what I saw on some photos...I don't mind at all but my husband would go mad..

I remember that we took mini bus in Thailand few years ago, there wasn't any space for luggage and the driver just squeezed the luggage into any available space so the bus was packed...LOL...

Anyway Thanks to your answer, it is such a relief LOL!!

Anyone knows about the buses travel to and from Munnar (Alleppey to Munnar ; Munnar to Kochi), they seem to be government run buses, so is there enough room for luggage on those buses??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govindpuri View Post Indian people travel with a lot more luggage than you.

In Volvo bus they have plenty of room for the luggage.

When you board the bus you have over your luggage to the attendant. They store it in the luggage compartment under the bus.
#4 Apr 21st, 2017, 10:25
Join Date:
Mar 2012
Location:
Sydney, Australia
Posts:
9,255
  • Govindpuri is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimiha View Post
Anyone knows about the buses travel to and from Munnar (Alleppey to Munnar ; Munnar to Kochi), they seem to be government run buses, so is there enough room for luggage on those buses??
In these buses they will tie the luggage on the roof.

Unless they have a Volvo plying that route now.
Last edited by Govindpuri; Apr 21st, 2017 at 12:16..
#5 Apr 21st, 2017, 11:33
Join Date:
May 2014
Location:
Pune
Posts:
5,581
  • snotty is offline
#5
Hey so you get somethings done according to the OP and some according to her husband.. Seems a good deal, no?

If government run, then high chances that the luggage will go on the roof, usually there is a union at the bus stops, a member will load the luggage up and unload it as well, charges would apply for it.

But based on your description, I am not sure of the Allepey to Munnar and then to Kochi bus. Have you got tickets booked, there should be a name on it. I mean there should be some information that you will have to use once you reach the bus stand.
Sar Pass Trek , Rohtang, Munnar, Badrinath Kedarnath, Vaishnodevi, Goa
#6 Apr 22nd, 2017, 00:38
Join Date:
Aug 2012
Location:
UK
Posts:
145
  • Mimimiha is offline
#6
Thanks very much

And may I ask, are the cases safe on top of the roof?? So it won't fall off during the journey? LOL

Anyway I'm chilled but my husband is the panic one, he often worries that the cases may be lose or stolen. Anyway, I always keep camera, mobile phones, money, passports in my handbag with me, all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotty View Post Hey so you get somethings done according to the OP and some according to her husband.. Seems a good deal, no?

If government run, then high chances that the luggage will go on the roof, usually there is a union at the bus stops, a member will load the luggage up and unload it as well, charges would apply for it.

But based on your description, I am not sure of the Allepey to Munnar and then to Kochi bus. Have you got tickets booked, there should be a name on it. I mean there should be some information that you will have to use once you reach the bus stand.
#7 Apr 22nd, 2017, 10:46
Join Date:
May 2014
Location:
Pune
Posts:
5,581
  • snotty is offline
#7
The luggage is usually safe. They do not fall off, is placed securely. There are the odd incidences of valuables missing, but that occurs inside the bus/trains almost everywhere. So if you take care of keeping valuables close to you, there shouldn't be an issue. (you have already mentioned that you do take care of that)
Just be careful of the weather, if it is raining you may want to make sure your bags are weather proof or cover them with some water proof covers. The government vehicles usually don't bother having a tarpaulin to cover the luggage, private operators may have it at times.
#8 Apr 22nd, 2017, 14:15
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
In the land of awesomeness
Posts:
29,759
  • aarosh is offline
#8
In all my travels in Tamil Nadu by government buses I have never seen luggage being kept on the roof.

It happened once while travelling in Maharashtra.
#9 Apr 22nd, 2017, 14:29
Join Date:
May 2014
Location:
Pune
Posts:
5,581
  • snotty is offline
#9
To add to what Aarosh says - it is usually the goods articles that go on the roof, but at times even luggage goes if it doesn't fit in the back compartment or inside the bus.
#10 Apr 22nd, 2017, 16:09
Join Date:
Feb 2010
Location:
Thiruvananthapuram
Posts:
1,122
  • Darklord is offline
#10
Quote:
We've decided to take buses for few journeys, eg: Rathimeena Travels with VOLVO AC Seater (from Chennai to Puducherry).
As already answered, the volvo will have plenty of luggage space under the bus. Looking at the pic, I think it might also fit on the overhead luggage rack.


Quote:
The bus from Alleppey to Munnar, then Munnar to Kochi (there's very limited info online and I don't know the name of the companies travelling to and from Munnar yet)
I don't know of any service in the first route other than the state-run KSRTC and I also assume it will either be (most likely) to be a "Fast Passenger" class bus or a "Super Fast" class bus. None of them has luggage space under the bus, but it will have an overhead luggage rack (picture from the net):



Also, if you are willing to (likely) rough up the case, there will be space under the seats to tuck it in.

Of course, if the bus is another class/operator, my answer will not hold good.

Hope you enjoy your time in India.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Luggage Space in AC seats Jun 16th, 2017 11:58 26 1886 Indian Railways
Luggage space on Shimla Shivalik toy train? Sep 17th, 2016 15:42 3 1364 Indian Railways
Luggage Space in3 tier ac Aug 9th, 2012 13:39 3 2515 Indian Railways
Sleeper class (luggage space) Jul 26th, 2012 06:15 6 1564 Indian Railways


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2017
Page Load Success